AVIC411.com

Is it just me or does the POI system kinda suck?

So my gf works at Macy's right. Her Macy's is located in a mall. Also in the mall is a Target and Walmart. So while messing around I tried to find Macy's in the POI search, nothing. Ok, lets try Walmart, nothing. How about Target, still nothing. Ok lets try one last thing. How about the mall itself. So I put in "Grossmont" couldnt put in Grossmont Mall because the M was not highlighted. You would think with the millions of POI's it would find Walmart or Target or at least the mall itself. What gives?

I found Best Buy ok.

I dont know, maybe I'm doing something wrong....

try doing your Grossmont search using the voice commands...And maybe try just searching "mall"

While I agree, it does kinda suck....But I think it depends on several factors...Like the area you live in...and what exactly you're looking for. I don't know how it all works, but I imagine BestBuy sends updated info to all there stores into GPS companies(BB sells Pioneer)...Places that are physically in a mall may also be ommitted, as those stores are usually not permenant(go out of business and such)...Of course, Walmart is usually pretty perminant....I also could not find the Walmart in my area using the POI(although I know where it is)...

For the most part, I've had a pretty good experience with them. I can usually find *most* of the random places I'm looking for, and vicinity search using POI's is absolutely fantastic.

It does, however, seem to get tripped up on POI's with tricky names like those with (or without?) apostrophies, dashes, spaces, etc. Usually, after a couple tries, I can find anything though.

So no, it's not just you, but it still beats a phone book ANY day.

At first it does sort of "suck". After you get used to it, it upgrades from "sucks" to "OK" at that's as good as it will get. Its something you have to learn how to use, and learning how in this case is difficult because what you have to learn isn't in the book; it's a result of repeated useage and trial and error

I've only had my unit a couple of weeks. But, I've been pleasantly suprised at how good the POI's are in the CA bay area. I did have trouble finding a nature reserve that we were looking for, but it has found 100% of everything else I've searched for.

I agree that finding a POI is sometimes a matter of trial and error. Sometimes it helps to put in the city first. Other times, it's better to just search for the name without entering the city.

I have a question that perhaps yu might help with. I recently upgraded from a cell phone to a Blackberry 8830. My cell phone paired just fine with my Z2 but the Blackberry won't. They "see" each other, but when I am prompted to enter the Z2 passcode into the phone , I get an "Unable to Pair" message. I was told that perhaps the Z2 could not support a windows based phone but I cannot accept that. Any ideas because I have none at this point

I think there's a method to their madness when it comes to POI searches. I haven't figured it out yet. But I do know this...I have two Acuras with factory Nav. They are both just as bad when it comes to POI searches. Where they do shine is if I click the VR button and say "find the closest electronics store". Boom. Up pops a comprehensive list in order of distance. Or "find the closest mexican restaurant" and the same thing happens. I know the Z2 has that capability too...but I haven't tried it yet to see if it's as seamless.

...Where they do shine is if I click the VR button and say "find the closest electronics store". Boom. Up pops a comprehensive list in order of distance. Or "find the closest mexican restaurant" and the same thing happens. I know the Z2 has that capability too...but I haven't tried it yet to see if it's as seamless.

I agree. =D

...and vicinity search using POI's is absolutely fantastic.
  • 3 weeks later...

I have had pretty good success with the PIO Vicinity Search. I have found Macy's, Fedex and UPS locations. I have also been able to find very obscure locations, like my Wheel Alignment Shop (no a chain), several of my customers (which are manufacturers in warehouse environments) and businesses in malls and other large buildings.

I am located int he greater LA area, so location may have something to do with it.

There have been a few places that the name registered in the PIO DB is difference from the general name.

Michael.

No problems here. I make sure the state and city/town are entered in first, then I search. I do like the Vicinity search too.

I even use the phone search, which is freakin cool, but scarey at teh same time, since it does not confirm an address; it just takes you to the location.

For example, I entered in my parents phone number (now they have that number and have been at that location for over 25 years), and it took me right to them. I used it for a few retail stores, and it worked flawlessly.

It did not find a match for a car stereo shop that I had to go to (neither the name or the number), but at least it did not try to send me somewhere totally wrong!