AVIC411.com

Ok, this my sound crazy, but please help me out. I wanted to get a nav system for my 2006 Superduty, so I went to buy the D2. Well after looking at the Z1 and the extras it offered, I ended up getting it instead. I have had it about 2 weeks, and just hate the way it looks in the dash. There is something about the D2 that just looks more factory for some reason.

[u]My question is this:[/u]
Does the D2 have pretty much the same exact Nav as the Z1 all beside running off of a disc, and not having the voice recognition? The reason I ask this, Is the store I bought the Z1 from will take it back w/ in 30 days, and I am thinking of going to the D2. I will never use the Bluetooth, DVD player, nor will I ever put music on the harddrive on the Z1, so How I see it as long as the Nav is the same, then the D2 might be the better choice for me.
I know if a few D1/D2 users who are switching to the Z1. They think it's that much better. However, if you aren't using most of the features of the Z1 that you are paying for, then maybe it's not for you. You should do what YOU want...not what people are talking you into.
[quote name="03Aviator"] You should do what YOU want...not what people are talking you into.[/quote]

Thats why I am asking if the Nav is the same on both units. I love the way the Nav works on the Z1, I just want too know if the D2 will work the same, I.E. The vicinity search, POI Search, Phone number search..........
[quote name="brachoza"]there are going to look the same. the differance is going to be the dash kit you can use. where did you get it installed at, and what what dash kit do they use.[/quote]

I had it done at a local shop here in Kansas City, And I am not sure what Kit they used. Looks like hell IMO but if I were to keep the Z1 I would have another shop remount it.
  • 4 weeks later...
One big advantage of the D1 appears to be that it can be successfully bypassed so all navigation functions work while driving while the newer (after July) Z1 cannot. Other than that the Z1 has a lot more features but if you are not going to use them you are paying extra for nothing. I would agree the other posters that the dash mount kit is what will make it look factory or not.
[quote name="jfisher"]One big advantage of the D1 appears to be that it can be successfully bypassed so all navigation functions work while driving while the newer (after July) Z1 cannot. Other than that the Z1 has a lot more features but if you are not going to use them you are paying extra for nothing. I would agree the other posters that the dash mount kit is what will make it look factory or not.[/quote]

Actually we all found the bypass for the newer units a couple days ago. And it's even easier than the Z1 used to be. The bypass is just like the d2's.
  • 2 weeks later...
[quote name="rgreenpc"]I was told today at the local sound advice that BlueTooth works with the D2... I am assuming this guy doesn't know what hes talking about as everything I have read has said Z1 ONLY.[/quote]

I just had the D2 put in one of my cars and my dealer said he is getting me the Bluetooth unit for it. I also don't see how, based on my research but he said I would get it.......Steve
  • 2 weeks later...
Based on my research, (I do not own either at the moment, but am actively reserching) some other Nav differences between the D1/2 and the Z1 are: The text to speech engine, (The Z1 will say the name of the upcoming street) and I beleive the "prefered route learning" feature is exclusive to the Z1. Another difference, though subtle is the sheer size of the POI database, and subsequently the size of the phone number database. Be aware that the phone numbers available to plug into and automaticlly navigate to is limited to stuff in the POI database. Phone numbers you add via your bluetooth option are not imcluded in that capability. Which sucks IMHO.

Thats all fluff as far as I am concerned, but for those that use POI stuff, the DVD based units are going to be limited to an 8 gig maimum of on-demand data, that's maps and POI data combined, where the Z1 reserves 20GB of the 30 GB drive for these functions. I have no idea if it uses all that space or not...

Lee
:idea: