AVIC411.com

ipod video NOT working! PLEASE HELP!!!

Hey everyone, I just got an avic-d3 custom installed into my 02 Grand Cherokee. It comes stock with a 1.5DIN, so there was a bit of surgery done...anyway, looks clean, great unit. The only problem I am having is with the ipod video function. I set the settings on the video to "video output"(which is a brand new 80gb classic), the avic's screen will go dark and text will read at the top *ipod* Use ipod for video function! It's bizarre. I don't know what to do. I have the correct Pioneer cable and everything, installed correctly. It has to be a setting with the ipod or avic, does anyone know? Thanks, Mike!

• 3 weeks later...

I would follow the instructions the screen is giving you. Grab your ipod and play the video, it wil play on your D3. You just have to manually start the movie. Once it's going you can pause/start the movie from the D3. I have a Gen 5 80gb video and it works exactly like that. Sure it sucks to have to touch the ipod to start the movie, but once it's on, ou don't touch it again.

Why does everyone blame Apple? Their new iPod technology is not compatible with Pioneer's older HU technology. I'm sure new HU's will support the new iPod's ...

Car Integration has made big money for Apple since everyone want's and iPod for their vehicles ... Apple wouldn't intentionally screw this up ..

Why does everyone blame Apple? Their new iPod technology is not compatible with Pioneer's older HU technology. I'm sure new HU's will support the new iPod's ...

Car Integration has made big money for Apple since everyone want's and iPod for their vehicles ... Apple wouldn't intentionally screw this up ..

But it IS Apple's fault. Other than the verification chip they put in there that requires it to be hooked to Apple licensed products ONLY, it's the exact same interface as the older gen. They put that in there for the sole reason of squeezing more money out of it's customers. If that feature wasn't added to the new ipods, they would work with the D3 just the same as the older models do.

And yeah, the next gen of AVIC unit's ipod cables might make the new ipods work, but that would only be by going through a licensing agreement with Apple to include the chip/verification thing in the ipod cables, which will end up raising the price of the ipod cable because I'm fairly sure Apple wouldn't let Pioneer use it in their cables for free...

Ipod Classic works perfectly find if you have 1.02 firmware any other firmware you are screwed. Now the classic is shipping with 1.1.1 and I am having a heck of a time downgrading for a friend of mine have had no luck at all. tried different versions of itunes tried the hold the shift key nothing works. Might need to try it with Win Xp vs Vista

Did you turn the tv out to "ON" on your ipod?

OK, I have an older IPod (30GB) and video is not working for me. All other aspects work fine. I DID update my unit (before I got the Pioneer system). I get the Use IPod for full functionality message as well when I switch to video (the sound does come through).

So Pioneer does not have a license with Apple for iPod support? I highly doubt that since they have one of the best interfaces currently on the market with the D3 ... What makes you think that a D3 firmware update wouldn't be able to fix the Classic compatibility?

But it IS Apple's fault. Other than the verification chip they put in there that requires it to be hooked to Apple licensed products ONLY, it's the exact same interface as the older gen. They put that in there for the sole reason of squeezing more money out of it's customers. If that feature wasn't added to the new ipods, they would work with the D3 just the same as the older models do.

And yeah, the next gen of AVIC unit's ipod cables might make the new ipods work, but that would only be by going through a licensing agreement with Apple to include the chip/verification thing in the ipod cables, which will end up raising the price of the ipod cable because I'm fairly sure Apple wouldn't let Pioneer use it in their cables for free...

So Pioneer does not have a license with Apple for iPod support? I highly doubt that since they have one of the best interfaces currently on the market with the D3 ... What makes you think that a D3 firmware update wouldn't be able to fix the Classic compatibility?

Because it's not an issue of what firmware the D3 has or not. There is an encryption that apple installed in all it's new ipods that requires a certain chip to physically be present in the cable that is plugged into the ipod for the video out to work properly (there was a certain ipod firmware that in a way did away with this feature, but has since been updated to no longer bypass it). And the D3 as well as the D3's ipod cable were both out before the newest ipods that include this feature were even made. So the only way around the problem would be either for apple to remove this feature (which is very unlikely to happen, because it means less money for them) or for Pioneer to get together with apple to license/develop a cable that lets the ipod send video to the D3. Which basicallt means more money from the consumer.

OK ... did a little search and found what you are talking about ...

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/c ... o-add-ons/

I'm sure Pioneer could license the chip and build a cable that would cost $40 instead of $20 ... I guess this was Apple's way of busting companies that were advertising iPod connectivity and compatibility but not give royalties to Apple ....

I'm perfectly happy with my 5.5 ... and there are plenty pre-Classic iPods available for folks that need compatibility .. Although the classic does have a sleeker interface.