AVIC411.com

Here it is folks, it's been up on the FCC site for a while, but I just noticed it tonight.

AVIC-F500BT Hardware Manual

You'll notice a couple things, new info on the cradle as well as the optional OEM integration device, the ND-G500.

The cradle looks good, but I'm unhappy that it doesn't house ALL the connections. It appears as thought a person still has to hookup the iPod cable directly to the unit as opposed to a connection on the harness (they should have had both options). Second, the GPS connector is also separate from the harness. Third, the TMC cable is yet another cable that has to be hooked into the cradle, although it connects through the cradle connector.

Interestingly the ND-G500 has a speed-sense connector built-in. I wonder if it has an IP-BUS/AV-BUS connection as well.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could do the N-series as well as the Z-series if you wanted to stick with Pioneer

OK, so I'm dense. I admit it. So the F90BT has RCA outputs to send video / audio to a rear seat monitor, but it can't support that video and let me listen to the radio or some other source up front? Is that the bottom line? That seems ridiculous, but this would be an obviously desired feature for folks with kids or even non-kid folks who realize watching video from the front seat isn't real smart but who'd want their passengers to have the option. I'm taking a long ten-day trip with my son and it's nearly a show-stopper if I can't listen to the radio or Ipod while he watches a movie in the back.

Am I left with the Z2 / Z3 as my only Pioneer-brand option? How about the Kenwood 8120?

Is there a antenna port on the slave box to pick up radio and MSN information?

Good question. I would assume the radio just plugs into the existing vehicle antenna lead. MSN does require its own antenna (I believe it is broadcast over an FM frequency, if I remember correctly), but that may be built into the box itself.

I tell you why we dont get them its because we have a thing called the FCC that stops everything... like the merger with Sirius and XM..

E X A C T L Y!

FCC auctions slivers of bandwidth for billions of dollars and restricts new technology like crazy.

I think you are confused about what dual-zone is. Dual-Zone means sending one source (DVD or AV input for example) to rear screen(s) while listening to another source through the vehicle speakers. It will NOT do that

It WILL do what you are describing, which is display the map screen on the deck, while sending the movie to the rear monitor(s) and sending the movies sound through the vehicle speakers.

So what I'm trying to understand about dual-zone is whether that just pertains to multiple audio sources or whether it means that I can't send DVD video to an alternate screen and have the NAV up on the head unit at the same time. I don't care if the audio is a single source, say from the DVD, what's important is that video can play to an alternate screen while the head unit has the capability of displaying something else even if there is no audio. Like was stated before in other posts, if you have an SUV or truck and kids in the back then you would know exactly why this is important. I can't believe that Pioneer would introduce a new model and then take a feature like this away.

Thanks for the reply. Quite clear now.

OK, so I'm dense. I admit it. So the F90BT has RCA outputs to send video / audio to a rear seat monitor, but it can't support that video and let me listen to the radio or some other source up front? Is that the bottom line? That seems ridiculous, but this would be an obviously desired feature for folks with kids or even non-kid folks who realize watching video from the front seat isn't real smart but who'd want their passengers to have the option. I'm taking a long ten-day trip with my son and it's nearly a show-stopper if I can't listen to the radio or Ipod while he watches a movie in the back.

Am I left with the Z2 / Z3 as my only Pioneer-brand option? How about the Kenwood 8120?

I am in the same exact situation as you. For someone like me, the DVD capability of the AVIC-F900BT over the AVIC-F700BT is completely useless without dual zone. I will never be watching DVDs up front. MSN Direct and 3D icons are not worth the extra $250 + $130 (membership) + any subscription fees.

I will be going with the AVIC-F700BT and a separate half din DVD player as shown earlier in this thread.

I really like this newer version but I hate that the screen sizes keep getting smaller. I have a D3 now (mainly because of customizing color scheme) but was looking to go slightly larger in size. I'll have to go for an existing model for my convertable. May want to wait for Pioneer to give another $200.00 rebate for outgoing 7" screen units.

My pioneer installer said that the Z series is not going away right now and will still be out there for the larger screen. He said this his contact at Pioneer said the next generation Z will have the OS that the F series has. But either way I getting the F series.. now.. 2 of them..

Z4..... I bet we dont see that for atlest 8-10 months. The z3 Just came out 2 months ago and Cartoys only with in the last 2 weeks has started selling them

I would love to have the larger screen but i have already been waiting for the z3 to come out and the day i was ready to buy i saw the F and know i grow tired of waiting!!!

4 more days!!!

Yea I would say the new Z will be out next year... but realy a little over a inch I could care less about.. I am going to change out my D3 and Z2 as soon as its available.

I bet if we asked most women... every inch matters. ;-)

I think I may way till the end of the year to buy a unit. No rush. =0

-B