AVIC411.com

AVIC-Z3 Hard Drive Image **OFFICIAL**

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys

I just want to get this straight, I have Z3 files using the FTP provided in this postl and the files are all white looking. I am to use true image to convert them back correct? Once I burn this to the correct DVD DL media I can insert this disk into my z3 to use my maps and functions??? I just want to make sure before I begin. Can this disk be used to upgrade a Z2 to a Z3 by just inserting this disk into the unit with no problems.?

Thanks for your help in advance

No, where in the world did you get that idea?

Do I need to pull my Z3 unit apart to install this Z3 image on my Z3? I see alot of warnings and I am assuming these warning pertain to upgrading from Z1 Z2 to Z3

You need to remove the hard drive from the unit and restore the image you downloaded onto it.....by following the instructions.

• 2 weeks later...

First off, I may be new to the forum, but I've been trolling for over a year. I appreciate the time you all have put in to help others here. I also read through all 23 pages here and several other just to make sure I wasn't repeating questions. I'm also hoping to condense the questions I have into one easy post for others that may want to do what I do.

I upgraded my Z1 hardware with a Toshiba 60GB HD and BypassedZ2 image last year. During that upgrade, I disabled the security feature on the HD before I put it in my AVIC unit.

Now I'm planning on upgrading the 1st two partitions to the Z3 image while retaining my phone book, address book, and music files according to the PDF on page 1 of this thread.

I don't believe the reimaging will reenable the security feature and lock the HD, but I wanted to double check. Once you've disabled it once, you should never have to worry about it again, correct?

I also plan on doing these upgrades while I'm in there. I removed the splash screens last time, but this will be my first time adding backgrounds. These work just the same on the Z3 as they did on the Z1/Z2, right?

Adding backgrounds:

Image must be BMP format 500x240 pixels and 24 bit color. File size should be 351kb.

Images can be saved on the LDATA (map partition):

LDAT\BG\PREINSTALL

By default, there are 15 preinstalled backgrounds. I have tried to put more than 20, but that does not work. If you want to add more than 5 custom backgrounds, then you need to remove some of the stock ones (so there are 20 or less in this directory). I have added a directory called 'stock' and I move the factory images rather than delete them. You can not select any images in the subdirectories, but you can store them for later use.

Eliminate splash screens:

In the first partition (LDATA) there are 2 files in \BG\COPYRIGHT

CPYCUSTOM.BMP and CPYDEFAULT.BMP

The first one is overlayed on any custom splash, and the second is overlayed on the default splash. I added .old to rename files. CPYCUSTOM.BMP.old and CPYDEFAULT.BMP.old

I have not tried to completely delete them.

Finally, I'll update the CDDB via CD after I've made sure everything else works.

Thanks for the help and advice and confirming I'm on the right track before I get started here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Garrettoomey,

Thanks for all your contributions to this forum! I have a question though; I noticed in your classified ad that you state this:

Thanks to the hard work from forum member Vandal, I have permission to load his XM channel logo update on the upgrade hard drives. All drives purchased after 25 Jan 2009 will include Vandal's 21 Jan 2009 XM channel logo update.

I have added the latest CDDB

Version number: 08-01-0030

Database Date: 1 October, 2008

Will the image in this thread have all that you mentioned? If not, how important is that stuff?

Thanks again.

The image in this thread does not contain Vandal's files. In order to add Vandal's XM Channel Logo update, we would need to re-upload the 9+ gb file. You just need to apply this image, then use Vandal's files to over wirte the XM files on the drive. You can get Vandal's update in the XM GENERAL forum.

His update is not required, but makes XM look 'pretty' :)

The CDDB database update is also not in the posted image, but can be downloaded from pioneer's website. This is used to identifying cd names on newer cds.

• 1 month later...

Okay so I'm a noob to AVIC-Z3...

but not to the interweb, programming, web development, or computer graphics...

I am intrigued and want to learn what more I can do with this new toy.

Don't bite my head off but can someone give me a direct answer on whether or not I need to do the Hard Drive unlocking in order to change background images?

I've read pages about image changing and haven't seen much mention of having to have already unlocked the hard drive and I've read pages about unlocking the drive and have only seens slight associations to image changing. So a direct answer would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hope to post some sweet images if no unlocking is necessary. I just bought an 07 Escalade and the AVIC-Z3. They're gonna look great together. On that note, are there any off-hand links to escalade or general cadillac backgrounds? Thanks again.

Further explanation from Garrettoomey's post above; instances you'd connect it to a PC would be to do more advanced stuff like doing the XM logo update, upating the nav with the most up to date maps (you have a Z3 so you're good), changing the start up screen image and a few other fun things.

Pull up a chair, read a little and make yourself at home.

Welcome to the forums 8)