AVIC411.com

[quote name="udecker"]Ducati, do you have access to a linux box? Does Pulp or BigFloppy? What ever happened to the guy with the mac that seemed to be the first guy to get his drive read? I can walk people through a dd process. I'd do it with my drive, but I'm stuck with my laptop in Florida for the next week, with no way to mount the drive.

Also, you can download a linux liveCD booter that will give you access to these tools on a pc - you just pop the cd in, it boots into linux.

-Craig[/quote]

I've got a RaQ3 running Sun Cobalt OS sat here, gonna need instructions on how to use dd... (can only telnet into the b*tch though... it's a headless box)
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a thinkpad also and never had a problem with Ghost. I also choose not to have the IBM crap to not partition and name my hard drive to "Secure Drive". Keep in mind, I took most of the IBM Bloatware out of it, so speeds are mucho pleasure. I kept the fingerprint schtuff. :wink: Do you know what brand of HD it uses (the Avic-Z1). From what I am reading, it is winblows automotive as the op sys.
[quote name="BigFloppy"]I've got a RaQ3 running Sun Cobalt OS sat here, gonna need instructions on how to use dd... (can only telnet into the b*tch though... it's a headless box)[/quote]

Ok wow - super quick dd tutorial.

The command is "dd"... It takes two parameters that we care about: "if" - which is Input File, and "of" - which it output file.

Devices on UNIX/linux-like systems are the in the /dev directory, and are named as follows: /dev/hdX#, where the X and # are letters (for which device in the chain it is) and numbers (for the partition numbers). (I'm not 100% positive what SunOS calls it, though)

For example on Linux, if you insert the HD into your machine (unlocked, of course), there should be devices named *something like* /dev/hdb0, /dev/hdb1, etc for each partition.

To duplicate these partitions individually, use the following commands:
[code]dd if=/dev/hdb0 of=parition0file.img
dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=parition1file.img
dd if=/dev/hdb2 of=parition2file.img[/code]
... and so on, for each parition that is available.

where the value for "if" is whatever your drive shows up as. (Quick hint - if you print the whole /dev/ directory before you connect the drive, and then again after it's connected, you'll know exactly what the OS calls it in the /dev directory.)

Do this above code for each parition, so you'll have as many files as there are partitions. (If you leave off the partition number, you should be able to image the entire drive into one file. This, of course, will be a 30GB large file!)

To restore, swap the "if" and the "of."

-Craig
[quote name="BigFloppy"]OK... need to get larger drive into the cobalt and reformat it.. I'm gonna grab me a 120gb drive this afternoon and go for it

Will advise (but will probably be tomorrow before I've got any news

Andy[/quote]

Also - many utilities for hacking a TiVo would work great for this purpose - do a search for copying drives and expanding the images. dd copies bit for bit, so you can't change partition sizes (it's a file copy utility, and UNIX can treat block devices like hard drives as files). TiVo hacking utilities, however, have been designed exactly for the purpose we're looking for - resizing partitions, copying data over and preserving system files, etc.

and PLEASE be careful with dd. If you set "of" to be one of the /dev block devices and it's the wrong one (like your main hard drive), it'll write right over everything without warning.

-Craig
I'm back from vacation and caught up on most of my other work and can mess with this some if anybody has something they want me to try.

To the new names on the board, I'm the one with the only known Z1 that allows larger/different drives to be installed.

Now the bad news. I got pissed at my corvette, or more specifically, GM for what they are doing to the pricing (dealers are offering $6500 off a new fully loaded 2007 - assholes), so when a dealer made me an offer higher than I could go buy the same model used from the autotrader I jumped at it. I felt like I was dumping a losing stock before it got worse. Sadly I replaced it with a 2006 Honda accord V6 and I don't see a decent way to install the Z1 (the only kit I've seen for double din leaves the stock radion installed so you end up with 2 head units- LOL). I may be selling the Z1 but until I fully research the possibilities on installing it I can run it on the bench to do some testing.
Has any one tried "ophcrack" [url=http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/]http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/[/url] , to crack the password and get this drive unlocked for free? I just heard of he program and heard it does a very goodjob. It's linux based and all you need to do is download the iso file, burn to cd and boot from it. I'd try it, but I don't have an adapter at the time to hook up the drive to my computer.
Unfortunately, ophcrack is for Windows Login passwords, not for hard drive passwords.

Locked hard drives will give you a certain number of guesses, after which the drive needs to be reset to try again.. so brute-forcing a password isn't gonna be easy.

Desktop hard-drives manufactured by Seagate have a Serial-port interface if you are willing to build an adapter circuit.. but it's not known if an equivalent interface exists on their Notebook drives. Apparently, you can issue instructions over this serial interface to clobber the password. This doesn't help for the original Z1 drives (they're not manufactured by Seagate), but may be helpful for upgraded drives if you accidentally allow the Z1 to lock it.

'Best bet to unlock the Z1 is to use the $50 (or so) password unlocking service. Anything else is inconvenient (hot-swapping rig) or involves expensive equipment (bus sniffer).
[quote name="Pulp_Fiction"]Sadly I replaced it with a 2006 Honda accord V6 and I don't see a decent way to install the Z1 (the only kit I've seen for double din leaves the stock radion installed so you end up with 2 head units- LOL). I may be selling the Z1 but until I fully research the possibilities on installing it I can run it on the bench to do some testing.[/quote]

DON'T DO IT! YOU'VE BEEN INSTRUMENTAL WITH US GUYS ON HERE... WE'LL HELP IF WE CAN FROM THIS END
[quote name="Cosmic Gecko"]Unfortunately, ophcrack is for Windows Login passwords, not for hard drive passwords.

Locked hard drives will give you a certain number of guesses, after which the drive needs to be reset to try again.. so brute-forcing a password isn't gonna be easy.

Desktop hard-drives manufactured by Seagate have a Serial-port interface if you are willing to build an adapter circuit.. but it's not known if an equivalent interface exists on their Notebook drives. Apparently, you can issue instructions over this serial interface to clobber the password. This doesn't help for the original Z1 drives (they're not manufactured by Seagate), but may be helpful for upgraded drives if you accidentally allow the Z1 to lock it.

'Best bet to unlock the Z1 is to use the $50 (or so) password unlocking service. Anything else is inconvenient (hot-swapping rig) or involves expensive equipment (bus sniffer).[/quote]

I believe that the HDD in the XBox360 is a Seagate laptop drive. I know that they have some user made hardware to interface that with the 360. That could be worth checking out to see if it gets anywhere.

-Litos
This kit is for a single din unit, but might be able to be modified to hold a Z1....... [url=http://www.metraonline.com/product_listing.php?year=2003&make=Honda&model=Accord%20(Dual%20zone%20climate]http://www.metraonline.com/product_list ... %20climate[/url])&type=0
[b]Hitachi revs up new hard drives for cars[/b]

As cars become more computerized--offering such features as navigation, multimedia and communications systems--the gear that goes into them is becoming better designed for the rigors of the road.
With that notion in mind, Hitachi Global Storage Technologies announced Friday that it will offer two new hard drives designed specifically to handle the jostle of a bumpy, swervy ride.

The Endurastar J4K50 is designed to withstand temperatures as low as minus 22 degrees Fahrenheit and as high as 185 degrees, and can operate at altitudes ranging from 300 meters below sea level to 5,000 meters above. The Enduraster N4K50 is designed to operate at temperatures ranging from minus 3 degrees to 158 degrees Fahrenheit, and at altitudes up to 3,000 meters, according to Hitachi GST.

Both car drives have a maximum storage capacity of 50GB and are designed to withstand relatively hard shocks from vibration and other motion, according to the company. Fluid dynamic bearings are used in the motors, as opposed to ball bearings, for more stable operation.

Hitachi GST also announced a slimmer addition to its CinemaStar hard drive line that will fit in slender digital video recorders, according to the company.

The CinemaStar C5K160 features a 2.5-inch disk drive with a capacity of 160GB. The drive uses "perpendicular" storage technology, which stacks bits vertically rather than on a flat plane, allowing more data to fit on the disk. The drive also requires only 5 volts of direct current, as opposed to the 12 volts required for some 3.5-inch drives. The CinemaStar C5K160 will be available in the first half of 2007, according to a company statement.

Pricing for these three drives will be announced closer to their release date, according to a Hitachi GST spokeswoman. The company said that the car drives will be available for after-market installation, not just as factory-installed options on new vehicles.