AVIC411.com

GPS antennae extension

I have the AVIC-z1 in my blazer, I had an avic-88 in the cargo area previously and had no probs with the length of the antennae wire, unfortunatly now that I have the Z1 the antennae lead is about a foot and a half too short so I currently have it on my dash instead of up on the back part of the roof where I prefer it (and it's more accurate).

Can anyone reccomend a place where I could get maybe a 5 or so foot extension lead?
They use some type of proprietery connector, probably won't be able to find it anywhere. What you could do I suppose is to cut off the conector leaving about a foot of coax on it, then purchase some RG-174 (I think thats what it is) coax, and two each female and male crimp on SMA style connectors and construct your own "extension cord." This would however introduce a good bit of loss into the system due to the frequency at which the GPS signals are at and could lead to more error than just placing the antenna on the dash or locating it somewere else on the outside of the vehicle that would allow for enough cable to reach the head unit.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I would give the antenna a try under your dash. Seriously. Just make sure it's not covered by anything metal and that you place it on a metal surface. It works...and works very well. I have it that way on my Aviator and I'm always at full strength on my signal. Shoot...it will get between three and four satellites in my garage!!
[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="03Aviator"]Shoot...it will get between three and four satellites in my garage!![/quote]

Yah, but I have seen your garage and it's made out of Saran Plastic Wrap. So that's not a fair comparison.[/quote]

:mrgreen:

I've got a couple of pictures I want to shoot to you Steve. I'll email them to you.
  • 4 months later...
Anyone know of anywhere to get an extension. I have the same problem on my GS400. Got everything installed. Mounted XM antenna on roof passenger side rear. GPS on driver side. The xm is no sweat but the GPS is about 8 inches too short. If that. Cheap bastards at Pioneer!!!