AVIC411.com

HOW TO: Add US Speedcams W/Warnings

Update:

Just installed the two Trapster Files and it appears to "combine" the two files and places them all on the map, thankfully it doesn't duplicate files that are the same. I have noticed however that a lot of the speed cameras are set to 70MPH. I can't go 70 in the city of Chicago even if wanted too!! :cry:

Im pretty sure it was a default setting.

Also....What settings is used for "speed traps" from actual cops hiding?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chicago too? Lots of neighbors here :)

Cops probably would be mobile cameras (there are actually more than 5 cam types in iGO but not quite documented)...

If data does not have speed limit for the cam, they might use 70 or something. If you do know what speed the ca,mera is triggered at, you can edit it right on the AVIC though.

So on "Simple" warning, is there no audible alert? I only had an on-screen warning.

It'd be really nice to just have one single spoken alert instead of a continuous beep.

It gets really annoying when you're listening to music and you're actually at the red light waiting for it to go green and all you hear is, beep....beep....beep...beep...

Here are the most updated database from trapster, as 11/22/2008, this time, I expanded the coverage to include USA (Including Alaska, and Puerto Rico) Canada, and Mexico.

Let me know how they work for you

Note: the data base is as good as more people collaborate on adding, modifying and verifying more camera locations. so help out at www.trapster.com

trapster-speed-0_US_CAN_MX_11-22-08.txt

trapster-redlight_US_CAN_MX_11-22-08.txt

I noticed that there are some camera databases already on the forum, and probably, people is wondering which one should i use, which one is better, more complete, etc. Well I took the TXTs of other databases that i found on this forum and emailed them to trapster, they said they are going to merge the files into the trapster data base avoiding duplicated locations

Files submitted:

1 - posted by BorisM, coming from http://www.gps-data-team.com/poi/united_states/safety/

2- posted by VBLUE42 based on POI-Factory)

Hopefully they process them quickly. :D

Just installed these files and everything look great except that someone seems to have gone crazy in my area Confused I don't think I'll ever be able to listen to music again...

I'm only aware of two red light cams by my work, one is missing the other is marked as a speed cam which I don't believe they use around me. Everything else is a moving speed cam (I'm guessing someone saw a cop somewhere around there).

Either way thanks a lot for all the work and I'll be playing around with it for a while.

mtbjoe, i noticed that myself. the problem appears to be with the "possible hidden police location = mobile cameras" probably people is creating points wherever they see a cop (wich is silly), BUT THAT IS WHY WE NEED TO PUT OUR TWO CENTS AND HELP EDITING THE CAMERAS ON OUR AREAS, so the data base becomes more reliable.

For next update, i will try to separate the database in three files:

1 - Static speed cameras

2 - Red-light cameras

3 - Possible hidden police locations = mobile cameras

So, you could choose which one to install according to your needs.

:)

As promised, here are the most up to date files from trapster Covering USA (Alaska and Puerto Rico), Canada, and Mexico.

This time i separated the database on three files:

1 static cameras.

2 redlights

3 mobile

It was noticed that there is to many mobile cameras (probably due to people creating locations points every time they see a cop around), Anyways, now you can install only the files that suit your needs...

Thanks mtbjoe for the suggestion.

Note: In order to separate the data base I'had to use a sort function which split the files, for this reason i need your help to verify that the points are where they suppose to be and the coordinates didn't get messed up (I checked few random points, but there is not ways i can verify 33K+ points

:shock: ). if you find discrepancies, let me know.

Enjoy! :D

Trapster_files_11-25-08.zip

post-24295-12872756347616_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...