AVIC411.com

Something I found while playing in test mode

MSN® Direct is available for AVIC-F900BT, AVIC-F90BT and AVIC-F500BT. MSN Direct requires service subscription (sold separately by MSN Direct). Free 3 months trial of MSN Direct Service is included. To receive MSN Direct on an MSN Direct-ready device, you must be within an MSN Direct coverage area. Coverage areas are affected by reception limitations of the FM network as well as other factors, which may affect the ability of the unit to receive FM broadcasts. MSN Direct is a trademark of the Microsoft group of companies

notice they talk about the FM signal.. .leads me to believe they transmit over that :/ dunno

• 4 weeks later...

Just so you know that MSN direct is broadcast over FM frequencys.

It also requires a custom reciever chip, this chip is also encrypted, so there is no software hack to get it working.

I also doubt that the chip exists in the 700bt, so while the software might exist on the unit it is functionaly useless.

• 3 months later...

This is intreresting, I've noticed that the files do appear to be there too.

Someone posted a copy of the F90 / F900 service manual. If we could get a copy of the 700 serive manual we could look at the boards to compare as they're reasonably detailed.

In the Data.zip files under config/devices there are seperate config files for the 746 / 749 UC / EW models

in the configs the only differences are under the sound category.

The 749UC has this

[sound]

device_id=0

use_method=5

use_os_volume=1

dynamic_volume_type=0

The 746UC has this

[sound]

device_id=1

use_os_volume=1

use_method=5

method5_maxvolume=40349

dynamic_volume_type=0

all other sections are the same.

Has anyone tried adding those lines to the config so bother read the same?

The idea of the 700bt being equipped with the necessary hardware to access MSN Direct is not out of the realm of possibility. Many manufactures reduce costs when targeting multiple price-markets by retaining a single manufacturing process and limiting/disabling features via software tweaks. Some of the more notoriously overclock-able CPUs are great examples of this, right? Good luck to those trying to figure it out.

Many manufactures reduce costs when targeting multiple price-markets by retaining a single manufacturing process and limiting/disabling features via software tweaks. Some of the more notoriously overclock-able CPUs are great examples of this, right? Good luck to those trying to figure it out.

Don't forget GPU's. Which until recently were virtually all exactly the same across a generation with software lockouts like, separate VGA BIOS.

I remember Turning a X800 into an X850XTPE with a simple VGA BIOS update, saved myself nearly 200 bucks.

More recently however, both ATI and NVIDIA have began to use Laser cuts in the GPU die to prevent these kinds of modifications.

For Pioneer it would make sense to utilize a single manufacturing process, it means they don't have to run separate production lines, since they are all identical from a hardware standpoint. all they have to do is load the separate software on the units and presto, a tiered product line up

Hey guys, im new here but would like to offer up my 4 cents (inflation)...It is VERY common for companies to do this, look at it from there end say we make the board with an RDS decoder on it then we have to make a whole new board without the RDS decoder on it, why wwould we do this when the decoder chip only cost us pennies each caues we buy them in bulk. Like was said before about the video cards, it does happen. Another bit of info is that RDS is just like the XM signal, its one way. Now if the 700 has the decoder and someone made a software mod to enable it, it could surely receive the MSN info. Has anyone opened up a unit to see if in fact the boards are the same? more useless info, I work for the company that provides microsoft with its traffic data!!

By the way my F700BT shall be in my hands on monday!! HOPEFULLY!

So no one has loaded a F900BT/F90BT flash disk onto a F700BT? I thought someone on here would have done this by now. I had the F900BT a few weeks back and hated it. I reinstalled my D3 within a few days. However I picked up a F700BT on ebay for $250 and going to put it in my work car, just to play around with, and if the next update is good enough I might swap it with the D3. I would be willing to load the F900BT/F90BT flash disk onto it if someone can provide the file. Its pretty big I believe around 1.6gb.