AVIC411.com

HOW TO: Increasing RAM WinCE to Improve System Response

So I was playing around in WinCE and found out that under "System" in Control Panel, there is a Memory options to increase the amount of available RAM to use for either storage or programs. Default was around 16480KB to the LEFT which is reserve for storage (which at the moment only had 348KB in use). So I decreased that amount to 2048KB, and press OK to save. I also disable error reporting since that service needs internet to use anyways.

After rebooting into the navi software, after everything loads, I notice that the button responses and menu changes were faster than normal. Could it be that the extra 14000KB I freed up for program use actually made the software more responsive? So I rebooted into WinCE to see if my settings were intact, which they were.

Please give this a try and see if you can notice a before and after the memory change. Let us know.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also noticed a speed increase on my system--anybody play around with different RAM settings and see any results (ie, > or < 2048)?

to make this change you'll need to get into test mode. do a search and you'll find a zip file to put on an SD card which will bring the unit into test mode when you do a reset. You may need to recalibrate your screen with your stylus in order to use WinCE.