AVIC411.com

HOW TO: Increasing RAM WinCE to Improve System Response

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to let you all know what I have noticed doing this mod.

It does work very well but there is one got ya. If you boot up into test mode again it will reset the memory back to default.

I moved the slider to the left a small amount and set up the personal info to come up a bootup. This worked flawlessly and my system boot time decreased alot. I got tired of the personal popup so I booted back into test mode to turn it off and it had been cleared out and memory set back to default. (Remember my pursonal info was comming up untill I booted into test mode) I changed the memory back and restarted and it is a lot more responsive.

So it might be stiking for you just being reset by the test mode files.

Call me crazy, but isn't "testmode" quite simply booting windows ce off of your sd card so you can have access to the drive to edit files located on the drive?

In other words its like booting your computer up with a live cd, any changes, modifications etc that you make via the control panel, isn't going to do jack when the system is booted up via the on board disk, unless you make modifiations to the files located on the drive itself.

So booting up off of a boot disk, which is what your doing here, and changing a slider that says use more ram for this instead of that, is only going to work for that testmode session and completely goes away upon boot into the avic stereo environment.

Besides, if something like this fixed the response time, don't you think it would of been a no brainer? Windows ce test mode only takes up a few hundred k of ram. the unit has 256 mb's of ram.

Call me crazy, but isn't "testmode" quite simply booting windows ce off of your sd card so you can have access to the drive to edit files located on the drive?

AFAIK, no. There's not nearly enough stuff in the testmode to have full WinCE environment.

AFAIK, no. There's not nearly enough stuff in the testmode to have full WinCE environment.

I didn't mean to say it was the full wince environment, just that it provided a startup resources to bring the unit to a gui interface, and provide the functionality for touch interface, copy/paste function and some test functions.

People were saying you could boot into this test envirment and change the ram usage ratios, when in fact I believe this test mode is a simple boot disk, and any changes made while in test mode, short of rewriting files, do not affect the the unit, ram usage or otherwise once its booted back into its installed envirment and os.

I didn't mean to say it was the full wince environment, just that it provided a startup resources to bring the unit to a gui interface, and provide the functionality for touch interface, copy/paste function and some test functions.

People were saying you could boot into this test envirment and change the ram usage ratios, when in fact I believe this test mode is a simple boot disk, and any changes made while in test mode, short of rewriting files, do not affect the the unit, ram usage or otherwise once its booted back into its installed envirment and os.

Given that test mode pretty much has two folders neither of which contains any of Windows CE system files... No, I still don't believe it is running off of the card (also, you can remove the card while in SD mode and everything keeps working).

Given that test mode pretty much has two folders neither of which contains any of Windows CE system files... No, I still don't believe it is running off of the card (also, you can remove the card while in SD mode and everything keeps working).

WinCE is on the root of the FLASH drive. It is WINCEIMG.BIN. At 17K, it is an average size Win CE image. (Yes, 17K is all the full image takes.)

WinCE is on the root of the FLASH drive. It is WINCEIMG.BIN. At 17K, it is an average size Win CE image. (Yes, 17K is all the full image takes.)

Having looked at the upgrade files... WINCEIMG.BIN is 16+MB, not 17K :)