AVIC411.com

Internet on F Series

I was wondering if this would be possible to do. I know microsoft makes Internet Explorer 6 for Windows CE. I was wondering if it would be possible to reinstall it to our pioneer image for our F series because they either never had it or removed it. And tether a windows mobile cell phone to it via the built-in bluetooth, to be able to browse the web via the head unit. If this worked then it would be cool to be able to replace like the AM radio option under source and change it to Internet Explorer or something. Just some ideas I had, not sure if anyone has any incite on any of this.

- Dan

CarPuter's are cool. But we already have AVIC's! :D

This should be seriously looked into, as im sure it must be possible (certainly from a Win CE point of view)

How we get the Pioneer software to then interact with an Internet Browser is a whole other question though.

Technically the Unit should be capable.

I wish I could upgrade the Windows CE 5 to Windows Mobile 6.1 in full. That would allow for so many possibilities, I just dont know how well the unit would handle that if we cooked a image of WM 6.1 for it. I am sure someone on XDA could help us http://forum.xda-developers.com/. I know when I had my Kaiser PDA they made tons of WM 6.1 versions for it that were customized. It is just a matter of someone willing to use a F series as a test unit because there is always the possibility of F***ing it up royally. I would love to accomplish this though. Hey if the software can run on a AT&T Tilt which runs WM 6.1 this should work as long as all the necessary hardware drivers are in place, from what I understand Pioneer's IP bus is a regular USB cable with some extras on it. So they run off the USB drivers of Windows CE.

• 3 weeks later...

I have lots of questions about this thing.

I just got my F700 yesterday and just got done booting into test mode. I guess I can say that I was amazed seeing a windows desktop... But is CE more like regular Windows or is it Windows Mobile?

The desktop and the control panel look like a mix between Windows 2000 and XP.

Has anyone plugged a Ethernet adapter into the USB port?

How about Opera Mobile for a web browser?

I tried a .cab for Pocket PC but it said it was not for CE. It wants .exe files?

As you can see, I am excited but confused on the AVIC and Windows CE. I like the idea of a CE based carputer instead of a full computer in the car. I have one of those in my other car and it is just too much for what I want to do.

that what i gone try since i have a 3g dongle :)

Nice! let us know how you get on... we need some sort of a browser too from what i understand.

Ideally we need the guy who made the launcher on board with this because i get the feeling its going to need some coding from a professional