AVIC411.com

HOWTO: add voice guidance mute button

I've found a way to add a button to the map screen that can mute/unmute the navigation voice guidance. Only the voice is muted, the AV sources and even the key beeps are not affected! Luckily for us Pioneer/iGo have already created mute/unmute scripts, we only have to add a button and run those scripts. :D

For this example I'm going to use some images that are already available on the avic, you can create your own icons if you want to. In this example a green button means voice guidance is on and a red button means the voice is muted. These buttons are only displayed on the right side of the map when there is an active route.

You can add this code to Data.zip/ui_pioneer/800_480/ui/navigatemap_800_480.ui inside the ui_NavigateMapButtons layer. I've attached a file with only this mod added.

; ** voice guidance is on, display green button

; ** voice guidance is off, display red button

As you can see, to mute the voice you can call the 'sc_mute_guidance_immediately' script and to unmute the voice you call 'sc_unmute_guidance'. These scripts are defined in Data.zip/ui_pioneer/common/ui/langvoice.ui

This setting is not remembered when you shut down the unit, so the next time you get in your car you have to mute the voice again...

Update: I've added some icons to the zipfile.

Update 2: Updated the zipfile to work with the 1.9/2.0 firmware, added the updated navigatemap_800_480.ui by mikeinnj.

ui_pioneer.zip

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice. So it is has_route... I was looking for it.

Technically, it would be rather trivial to have it save setting (register a permanent variable with sound.announcer.muted boolean model, but since we already have voice volume setting, I'm not sure if it is particularly needed.

Nice. So it is has_route... I was looking for it.

Technically, it would be rather trivial to have it save setting (register a permanent variable with sound.announcer.muted boolean model, but since we already have voice volume setting, I'm not sure if it is particularly needed.

Thanks for the registermodel permanent pointer, I will try to add it tomorrow.

I think it would be a little bit easier and faster using this mute button than going through the setup menus. Usually I like to drive without voice guidance but sometimes when I'm driving somewhere unknown it is nice to have it on for the last part of the journey.. Now I have a easy unmute button :) This was one feature I was missing from my old TomTom.

You're welcome.

You could do something like this in one of the variable definition files:

This will cause iGO to save variable value when you shut down the system

Other options:

Then the variable will track system's voice setting and a script will be called when it is changed.

or and then you can yuse it jusyt like you do sound.announcer.muted

iGO's programmintg is woefully undocumented, but extremely powerful...

I downloaded your script and copied your code into my navigate file, the first four lines i think.

then went to avic and got a warning say button_volume.bmp could not be found and then it exited and my map and destinations buttons no longer worked.

edit: ok i just realized i didnt copy the icons over. BorisM i'm using your most recent navigate ui file, where should i insert this code?

The images should go in the ui_pioneer\800_480 directory, they are in the correct location in the zipfile.

You can also use the lines from the first post, they use images that are already available on the avic, no extra images required.

If you already have a ui_pioneer\800_480\ui\navigatemap_800_480.ui file from another hack, add the lines from the first post to that file. The lines should go inside the ui_NavigateMapButtons layer that starts at line 6.

Question on this, does it act like turning the master volume all the way down or turn off the prompts only. Here's why I ask that, when you just mute the master volume, the unit will still initiate a prompt, even when muted, and it will creat a quick dip in the music when that happens. So if you're city driving with a route up, your music will continually cut out to allow for the muted prompts to initiate. Any of that with this code?

edit: ok i just realized i didnt copy the icons over. BorisM i'm using your most recent navigate ui file, where should i insert this code?

In this case you'll want to apply the edit to my navigatemap file. (I assume you have it outside of DATA.ZIP). If you apply them to the one inside the archive, they will be overridden by the file outside.

In this case you'll want to apply the edit to my navigatemap file. (I assume you have it outside of DATA.ZIP). If you apply them to the one inside the archive, they will be overridden by the file outside.

Ok i fixed it, nice job thank you both. BorisM, the button overlaps your detour button slightly. Is there a way to lower the button?

Ok i fixed it, nice job thank you both. BorisM, the button overlaps your detour button slightly. Is there a way to lower the button?

What brink094 said. At this point, you could also hide the detour button -- it doesn't do much of anything yet, and you can set detours from stock interface's itinerary screen...