AVIC411.com

OSX Anyone?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a few people doing mods use Macs (e.g. Stephanie).

As long as the card is formatted as FAT it should work. The only problem seems to be that when people zip up their iGO files is that they zip in all the extraneous crap that OSX creates for files on FAT disks (invisible folders with . as the first character of the name). Does not affect anything but makes files larger than need be...

I'm also using a Mac and it works great for modding the Avic. Even bmp's saved by photoshop work great.

There is only a problem when you load music on SD or USB, the music player on the Avic does not ignore those hidden Mac files. So when you are browsing your music the Avic will show those .DS_Store and .Trash_.. directories.. :cry:

I use linux on my laptop to delete those hidden directories after putting music on my SD card..

And no, the Avic does not run osx, it runs windows CE..

I don't really think that the hardware in the F series is capable of running a full operating system, like OSX or Windows XP. Those operating systems use much more system resources than the Windows CE that is on it does. You'd probably be looking at like 3 or 5 minute boot times and really slow response, assuming it would even work in the first place.

There's always a MAC nuthugger wherever I go. I don't recall Apple ever making an OS that is stripped like Win CE.

If you like the IPhone and think it's so awesome, you should really check out the Nokia E71, N95 8GB or the N85. Also, the Blackberry Storm will make the iphone look like the piece of junk it is once it's released. Apples are fine computers, don't get me wrong, just watch the South Park episode where Kyle's parents move to San Francisco for a reference to my thoughts on people that use MAC's haha

Sorry to rant. I will try out this mod and post my results ASAP.

I think the F-series units would run great with Cocoa touch (iPhone OS). Cocoa is extremely easy to program, Apple gives you all the necessary tools to code/debug/test it, and it would probably use half the system resources as Windows CE.

I would be interested to see if anybody could get a running copy onto the units.

• 3 weeks later...

iPhone OS is ARM based, so technically it's possible, but I don't think anybody's going to tackle that any time soon.

And it does multitasking just fine, which is why you can listen to music and run applications. Applications developed for the App Store on the other hand are not given access to multitasking for some very important reasons. For people that really crave multitasking there's an app for jailbroken phones which enables it for all apps. Apple's smart sandboxing every application as much as possible. For every good developer there's 20 really half ass ones.

Saying Windows CE is much better than the iPhone OS is sort of true, in as much as more things can run it, but if you look at the general sluggishness of the AVIC, I have to think that anything would be better than CE at this point. A lightweight linux distro would have been really nice. Check out the HTC Diamond or whatever it is that runs WinMo to see how hard it is to run custom UI's over any windows OS. The hardware on that phone is great, and the touchflo software is really good too, but it's totally hampered by the general lagginess of the OS behind it.

If you like the IPhone and think it's so awesome, you should really check out the Nokia E71, N95 8GB or the N85. Also, the Blackberry Storm will make the iphone look like the piece of junk it is once it's released.

Those phones are good phones because of the iphone, they had to be to compete. They would still be simple cell phones right now if it weren't for the iphone. And non of those phones, even the new blackberry are going to touch the iphone in sales. Apple now has the best selling phone in a little over a year up against phone companies that have been doing this for many more years, there is a reason why, because they make better products, period.