AVIC411.com

Official 2.0 Firmware Opinion/Results Thread

Mod Note: This is the official feedback/impressions/info on the firmware 2.0 thread, post your thoughts here, or they will be deleted!

Wow, what a difference 3 months makes. Now this is what the f series should of been like out the door. Was it really worth the PR nightmare Pioneer? Seriously?

Improvements

1. Boot time is a lot faster, its tolerable now. 30 seconds exactly to music from ipod and screen ( around 10 seconds for xm music on, then 30 to menu). 72 seconds from bootup till vr update complete on iphone3g. 102 Seconds from boot for Bluetooth connection and loading complete.

2. The screens response is much faster now and screens load without the lag after button presses.

3. The blue boxes are now gone from the idle no route navigation screen. Amazing what a difference this makes in the viewable area. Also the destination is cleared out once you have arrived.

4. Screen brightness is greatly improved, quite an improvement.

5. The contact screen is useful now! It lists them by mobile/office/home now. Very handy! Actually complete feature now! Also responds to voice commands in that manner.

Now the issues I see so far.

1. The call status information box doesnt' work very well it seems. It tends to lag and not show the proper phone numbers your currently on. Things like previously dialed phone number shows up, but it varies based on did you call directly from the phone to the unit, did you use voice recognition using a contact name or did you say dial (this phone number).

2. Blue tooth mic pick up while in a phone call is very quiet to others, they can hear me clearly but its very low on iphone 3g.

Overall an excellent update and I am very satisfied with the progress. I am happy that they have listened to the customers and seem to have made it a priority to fix the complaints we all had over and over again.

(I have updated this a few times to reflect more experience and issues i've worked out through trial and error)

A lot of issues I had prior to this I blamed on software when it was in fact the Pioneer branded ipod connection cable, I would suggest a substitute of the Apple AV composite cable. A lot more durable, better build quality and works just the same.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I concur with the static, overall quite nasty/distracting.

Also concur with the "Ok" button lags.

Likewise with the Voice recognition, it has many issues recognizing what im saying where it once understood. IT wont recognize "Karen", seriously, the most important # ;)

The blutooth call i made had no issues, but it might have more to do with the reception of the 3g as opposed to the blutooth, but i could be wrong.

Overall you have a very good analysis and I agree with almost everything.

Holy Sh**!!!

I thought this day would never come. I thought this fabled second update was an urban legend.

Wow is it faster to boot up.

Time to ipod - ~30 seconds (actually longer than before. Used to take 15-20 seconds)

NAV to operational - ~30 seconds (big improvement)

Bluetooth Connection - ~1:35 (hasn't changed much)

Menu/button response is immediate.

Now to re-create my mods...

What version does it say in the Service Info screen? Mine is only :38

I have a total boot time of 1:13....

I have new sowftware its all 2.0....it 1:13 for a total boot up mean my iphone is connected to via bluetooth and everything...I got my ipod up and running in about 38-40seconds....Also the VR mode is quicker that took about 2-4minutes for 30gibs worth of music.... overall I'm pretty happy with my avic now.

I was habing problems with my ipod, had to boot it 2 or 3 times in a trip of 2 hours.... Just updated THE IPOD to the latest firmware, all problems were gone.

Update the avic to 2.0...a lot better...now we need to find a way to patch the internal IGO software so we can use with any maps....

GUGA

I played with it some more this morning, and it does boot MUCH faster!

Its not nearly as fast as the OEM Murano system in my wife's car, but its damn near acceptable I dare say!

I made a few phone calls, as one of my biggest problems after the 1st update was that it would freeze up for 30 seconds to a minute after hanging up.

Well, 2 out of 3 calls went back to playing musically almost immediately and I was thrilled, but the 3rd call got locked up for 20 seconds or so.

I worry that the release is numbered 2.0. Sounds kind of final.

-My boot time is 30-40 seconds, which is typical.

-I like the fact that the "system startup" message does not appear if you are on the iPod screen.

-The button response for most things is largely improved, but some of the OK screens are still a bit slow.

-Changing between the map and av screen is much faster.

-The dreaded gas stations all over the map are now gone!

-Blue boxes are gone, but route/destination info box still shows up even when no route is selected.

-Zoom scale is still useless.

-Clock is still too small/hard to see on the map screen.

-Moving the map around (zooming/panning) is marginally faster.

-The static sound when pressing buttons isn't nearly as annoying as I thought it would be based on what others have said. I think it's a lot worse if you have your unit run through an amp. I am powering my speakers directly from the head unit, so the fixed output volume of the static is probably a lot lower than it would be if I had an amp.

-iPod VR catalogging is faster (and is enabled by default after upgrade)

-iPod hasn't locked up or lost connection since upgrade (it's still early, yet)

Contacts now have the word home, work, and mobile attached to them. Great!

Incoming calls from numbers in my contact list now have the name attached. Great!

me, "Call John Smith at home"

F700, "Please say the name or number to call"

me, "Call John Smith at home"

F700, "Calling 090"

Tried 10 different combination of contacts, etc. No go.

VR in IPOD mode works great.

Seriously, the preset buttons are that wide for a reason, so they can tag the station frequency. Other Pioneer Navs (AVIC-D2) do this. Otherwise, they could give us 9 square buttons in the same area that would be a lot easier to press while in motion than the height limited lines they have. Did someone forget to put that in the Requirements Document?