AVIC411.com

Official 2.0 Firmware Opinion/Results Thread

Dude! Effing sell it already then!

I hate to be honest with YOU, but my unit works, and let me say this slowly for you, P-E-R-F-E-C-T-L-Y. All I'm living with is a great aftermarket headunit that lets me voice command my iPod, talk on my Bluetooth phone hands-free, plays AM/FM, HD radio, XM satellite, navigation and play movies WHILE I DRIVE!

If yours doesn't then get rid of it, burn it, throw it off a bridge, use it as a doorstop, WHATEVER! But quit acting so butthurt and stop whining about it!

Plenty of us have had either no problems or very little! The fact that your unit is so problematic incredibly enough doesn't mean that all of ours are.

Let it go! You sound like some X Box fanboy on the Playstation network!

Thank You! Some people do not deserve to have money...

You can go f* yourself dude. How about that? I paid GOOD money for this piece of junk, and it's none of your business.

it actually is my business, because of your retarded comments people are choosing other units, you are a dumbfuck you are the only one with the fucking issues, yet instead of calling Pioneer and telling them you bitch on here how it sucks, how you hate it and all the other fucking shit no one gives a fuck about. If you have a problem with it post it in problems and people MIGHT assist you, but dont go bitching and moaning and ruining all threads with this shit.

Actually dickhead, I have called Pioneer 8 times, reported them to the BBB and started a petition against them about this. I was on the phone with them today actually.

Thank you, sit down and shut up. Opinion given.

Why the fuck are you even in this forum?

report a company to BBB due to user stupidity, yes... they will take you seriously... if you did what you even claim

sit down shut the fuck up? wow... real original...

I am on this forum like the other thousands of users to put in their 2 cents, well everyone but you who keeps bitching like its the time of the month.

Pioneer has responded to my complaint twice. They called me immediately after I filed the complaint. They are still blaming it on a "bad cable" because they can't figure out the problem and don't want to try.

So me connecting my IPOD and it not working at bootup is my fault. Thanks, you're real helpful.

Talk about user stupidity, it's user stupidity to say I am the only one having problems with my unit. You must be blind.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

then stop blaming the fucking unit, if pioneer says its the cable get it replaced, fuck dude figure it out... take a usb cable connect it to your computer and check if your ipod gets recognized by usb (doesnt have to actually be workable) if it recognizes it call pioneer and tell them... this can happen... nothing is perfect

This thing is still crap. Sorry to be honest with those people who are happy with it, but it still has MAJOR problems. You are just living with the problems if they don't bother you.

Before 2.0 update, the IPOD would just drop out completely and give the error message that it lost connection.

Now with 2.0, the friking thing half the time isn't even recognized at bootup. You have to unplug the cable and reconnect it to get it working. I have already reported Pioneer to the better business bureau and they have attempted to call me twice but I was not available at the phone.

Also what is with the stupid SD card not showing any titles on the main screen but showing them on the map screen, and the SD card starting over at the beginning every time? How could anyone think that is acceptable?

This product is poor, inferior, and the AVIC Z3 COMPLETELY destroys this thing in every single aspect. Even the Navigation sucks on this thing compared to the Z3.

I hate to be honest with YOU, but my unit works, and let me say this slowly for you, P-E-R-F-E-C-T-L-Y. All I'm living with is a great aftermarket headunit that lets me voice command my iPod, talk on my Bluetooth phone hands-free, plays AM/FM, HD radio, XM satellite, navigation and play movies WHILE I DRIVE!

If yours doesn't then get rid of it, burn it, throw it off a bridge, use it as a doorstop, WHATEVER! But quit acting so butthurt and stop whining about it!

Plenty of us have had either no problems or very little! The fact that your unit is so problematic incredibly enough doesn't mean that all of ours are.

Awesome, yours works. Stop posting in this forum then. You have no business in here.

I'll reply only to this post, as it was directed to me personally.

A.) A bit of an overreaction in my view. I hadn't asked YOU to stop posting here, just to quit whining about it like a 3 year old. Dealing with problems as an adult involves some give and take. Say what your problem is and ask nicely to see if anyone can help out. Someone may or may not do so. If the unit has become such a source of misery in your life, I am at a loss as to why you just don't return it. Now if you've modded it beyond the ability to do that, or bought it off some slack-ass on eBay and are also unable to do that - then you have no one but yourself (and I'm sure Pioneer in your mind) to blame.

B.) I was unaware that this forum existed for the exclusive reason of complaining about problems of the unit and nothing else. As I'm sure you would have to admit, MANY folks here are very happy with their given model of Pioneer headunit, whichever it may be. The fact that thousands of others with varying degrees of AV skill, technical knowledge, equipment variations, and willingness to help, make this forum the perfect place for ANYONE with a Pioneer headunit (working perfectly or not) to asist those that need it - in any one of hundreds of ways one might consider "help".

I'm sure I've pretty much wasted my time with this response. I can see by the way you've responded and conversed with others here, that you have a hard time elevating your position here above that of the average middle-school bully. Simply posting that the unit is "junk" does nothing but make you feel just a wee bit better. The unit obviously ISN'T junk to many hundreds of people. If yours is, I suggest asking nicely for help, or more logically, returning it ,purchasing another and posting NICE posts on whatever forum the lucky manufacturer happens to be.

Cheers,

Kev

Well my unit works great since the last update. There are some features I would like added but the unit does what it is supposed to every time with ZERO problems. Also I just returned from a 3500 mile trip to Idaho and the Navigation even worked going to 2 different back country hunting camps several miles off the paved roads.

I agree that those who are so unhappy with their unit that they can not seem to stay rational should get rid of them and go on to something else.

BTW the title of this Forum is "General:F-Series", not specific to problems like the next Forum titled "Problems/Troubleshooting: F-Series" so I see nothing wrong with posting positive comments here.

I have the F900BT and I've been using 2.0 since the day it was released. For me, it has been SOLID. Almost all of the major bugs have been squashed. No more random reboots or i Pod connection drops. There are still a few features I would like to see in terms of the Navi, but nothing that is a show-stopper for me.

The only thing I notice is that sometimes when I start it up, the iPod never connects and it requires a restart of the unit to get it to show up in my AV Sources screen. That may very well be problem with my iPod though.

So to anyone considering purchasing this unit, I would now say it's ready for mass consumption. Despite some peoples' issues with seemingly defective units, a correctly-functioning F-series that is also installed correctly is WORTH EVERY PENNY.

Man I think the moderators need to do a better job controlling some of the flame wars, im not all that sensitive but seeing people get cussed out and having that fill up what should be a good thread on feedback for the 2.0 update, its just not cool.

I continue to have no further problems and those that were problems after first using the unit after I installed the update seemed to have corrected themselves.

I have a feeling the poor build quality of the Pioneer f series branded cables leaves a lot to be desired and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those ipod issues stem from this cable.

If you compare the quality to those of the Apple ones, there is no comparison, nicely bundled into a single cable etc.

I would say anyone having ipod issues like drop outs etc, try the apple cable, if it continues return the cable, no harm done and you eliminated that as the possible issues. My iphone 3g didn't charge, and the steering wheel controls didnt work etc, those issues were fixed when i swapped out he cable for the composite one from apple. Just something to try.

Thank You! Some people do not deserve to have money...

You can go f* yourself dude. How about that? I paid GOOD money for this piece of junk, and it's none of your business.

you are a dumbfuck you are the only one with the fucking issues, .

RETARDED POST OF THE YEAR ALERT. I AM THE ONLY ONE WITH ISSUES. I guess that's why theres about 300 posts in this forum.

Yup, you are incredibly stupid, and yeah I hope you do feel bad because I have talked about 10 people out of buying this junk.

Considering others do NOT have the ipod issues you speak of at the severity and consistancy you do, I would say something is wrong with your ipod, the cable, or your head unit is defective.

To say this thing is a piece of junk when there are those who are happy with it, doesn't that say its unique to you, therefore not normal?

Do some troubleshooting, try a different ipod, try a different cable, if it still does it, have it serviced.

I mean its just as simple as that, if you need some hints for the ipod issue, post something in the troublehsooting forum, state the ipod model, firmware version, and what you tried to resolve this issue.

The ipod calbe could be lose, if you leave it plugged in all the time, the hot/cold could actually cause the connectors to lose touch with the plastic firming up in the cable, the ipod could be in sleep mode, and not properly woken up.

I mean seriously, you sound like someone who lost all hope, yet hasn't tried to fix the problem in a meaningful way, but yes it is much easier to bash a company and a product, then submit to user error or some other type of issue that could be fixed.

If every last person had that issue, and it was severe, then I would agree, but I don't have any of those issues now, so that tells me, you have some work to do.

Peace.

• 3 weeks later...

here are some of my observations with my 900BT...

A. My iPod, 30gig video classic 5th gen, works about 50% of the time on boot up. This might be due to the fact that I leave it connected in the glove box all the time, and its cold outside right now, sometimes below freezing, which might have something to do with it. We'll see if that changes in the summer. I'm gonna take my iPod to the apple store to see if it needs a firmware upgrade.

B. Bluetooth, I have a Palm Treo 700wx with the new version of mobile windows, sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn't. I try to get it to manually connect from the head unit and from the phone, but it is stubborn, then occasionally it just recognizes the phone on its own while driving down the highway. When it is connected, the sound is flawless on both ends.

C. My contacts only show the last name, first name, multiple times for each number. I read that others can see whether its home, cell, office. I havent figured out why they can see this and I dont, can only assume that this is a phone specific problem. Or maybe my icons are too large, if there is an icon shrinker function or a way to show the names in a list, please let me know.

D. Clock is way to small, but i read that there is a hack to make this bigger, but I'm not much on messing with the thing cause I dont know what i'm doing. So I'll wait for the next firmware update and hope that its fixed.

E. Boot up time is palatable, see no major issues with a little wait. Since I didnt have the first version and moved right into a unit with the 2.0 installed when I bought it, I dont have anything to compare to.

F. The voice of Samantha is down right irritating and too computerized, to the point where I would rather leave it on Jason.

G. Dialing in the volume of the voice navigation takes some playing with, it should just be based on the speed of the vehicle instead of setting low and high limits. I'm still working on this one as I don't use the navi all that often cause I go to the same places over and over again.

H. In 3D mode the triangle icon for the car is WAY to big.

I. 3D mode is the only mode that the directional car icon points in the direction you are visually looking, they should make this for the 2D mode as well. My hand held unit does it, all you do is tap the compass icon on my handheld and it switches between true north and visual direction.

J. The EQ is too difficult to get where I want it, you should be able to independantly move each bar as opposed to having several of them move simultaneously, and for goodness sake, its a touch screen, i should be able to slide the bars up and down using the screen as opposed to pressing the selector buttons on the touch screen that move several at once, and not necisarily where I want them.

K. Presets should be listed on the main audio screen where the picture resides of the channel your listening to, thre is blank space there, they should use it, I shouldn't have to navigate to the preset screen, or press a button that says P so I can scroll throught tme till I find the one I want.

L. the mode button for XM works great, I added several of my favorite songs and they always pop up regardless of what channel the're on.

M. the ting sound that goes on everytime I use my steering wheel controls to raise or lower the volume, I haven't figured out to get this to go away yet.

N. the volume control knob is too shallow for my sausage fingers, too hard to grip and turn, thats why I use the steering wheel volume control

O. the light scheem, there should be more lights, its a waist to have a cool light set up if its only going to be in the upper left corner, they should put a couple more lights around the head unit just for show.

P. Voice recognition for the phone doesnt really work unless I say dial #######. Saying the name is useless, doesn't matter what name I say. But then again, I typically call the same people over and over again, so its not that big a deal. But it would be nice to say Call Jackies Cell, and actually have it work. My onstar system works flawlessly for this, don't know why this unit wouldnt.

I think that about sums it up for now, if I come accross any others I'll be sure to post back. And if i find that my iPod firmware update solves the boot up issue, I will post back as well. All should keep in mind that in no way do any of my observations detract from my like of this unit, I truly like it, and I would still buy it again knowing these issues hindsight. These are just things that I noticed that Pioneer might want to pay a little more attention too in the future. And if anyone knows how to correct any of these items in a simple way, please let me know, you can either PM me or point me to a post that is relative to my unit, the 900BT.

Thanks,

Be kind to your fellow posters, this is suppose to be an informative forum, thrashing each other doesn't help anyone, and it certainly doesnt solve anything. :)

Don

Here is what I have sent to Pioneer already after the 2.0 update... And I am going to send this post to Pioneer. Perhaps we should all post here AND send our thoughts to pioneer directly. I think the more we inundate them, the more they will listen.

*** Sometimes while on the map screen and after disconnecting from a Bluetooth call, audio does not resume! I have to go back to the audio source to get the audio to resume!

*** When placing a Bluetooth call, the box with the “hang-up†and volume control take a long time to show up! This is very annoying because if the "voice recognition" fails to correctly dial a phone number you have to take your eyes off the road, find your phone (which it is advertised that you can place a call when your phone is "buried in your bag"), open it, and manually end the misplaced call. If you don't get to it in time, then you end up with a very awkward return call from the recipient asking why you called and hung up on them. NOT what i would expect from a $1000 unit. If the box does show up, it sometimes takes a very long time for it to go away after the call has ended.

*** The navi voice is still obnoxiously loud when listening to USB or SD. No it is not the same volume as my music (as indicated in the manual)… it is LOUDER! And it shouldn’t be the same in the first place.

Another bug that I have not sent to pioneer yet:

*** After receiving a text message on my NOKIA 6125, I am notified. Approximately every 5 minutes after that I get a text message notification regardless of whether I have actually received one or not. The unit also fails to notify me of every message I receive after the first one.

The thing that upsets me is that in all the video advertisements on the Pioneer website, the unit works flawlessly and without any lags in performance. The consumer is in no way alerted to the fact that the scenes are edited to make the unit seem faster. It is one thing to sell a sub-par unit to the masses, but to advertise it as top-notch is a textbook definition of "deception."

My friends literally laugh at this unit.

Multiple times, by just starting this unit up and letting them test it out in a real world situation, I have turned countless people off to this unit who were previously seriously considering making the purchase.

• 3 weeks later...

After updating, when I browsed the map for destinations, and click the location circle, There was no information icon like there used to be. I could not find information on that point, put it in favorites or even set it as a destination. In another post, someone said he restored factory defaults because something on his system was not working. I tried this and it seems to have solved my issue. I wonder what doing this did.

Why not have a button on the map screen that brings up a navigation menu as well instead of having to go through all the menus. On this menu, they could put in things like Navigate to, add to faves, Display POIs, plot a course, set way point. If there is no room on the screen, they could put the 2d 3d thing in here as well instead of on the map.

It would also be nice to have an option to have current speed and speed limit on screen at all times, even when on the music screen. While at it, do it with the time as well. I would like a button to switch between destination view and current location view as well. Elevation is not important to me.

Compass is on screen but is useless in 2d mode as map is always north anyway.

I like the responsiveness of the map, but no lane guide, it doesn't say which side of the street destination is on so you can park in front etc.... pioneer should take some notes from rival navigators. Navigon 2120 is quite nice usability and features, tom tom has location and street add ins, garmin has driver information screens.

The navigator was a big reason for purchasing the unit. They should really make it more usable.

The best thing about the nave that I like above other Navs that I have used is that this one is fast. Moves fairly nicely on the screen. Destination plotting is quick, and recalculating routes is fast and good.

If you are deciding on a Nav, hope this helps.

I also hope they can add some of this into an update.

One other thing that no one has mentioned, it would be nice to be able to dimmer the display with my dash lights dimmer for night driving... it is quite bright at night and the line is already there for most factory systems.

I think my SD card loaded faster in ver 1.17, but more importantly... the bar on the side used to slide. I used to be able to drag it down to scroll through my music faster. It does not appear to do this any more. It is a problem when you have 1500+ music files to go through.

How do I restore the slide thing?

USB port does not recognise my 4 gig Scandisk Cruizer flash drive properly.

Aside from the boot speed, I think I have more issues with 2.0 than I did with 1.0