AVIC411.com

iphone 3g, does it charge or not with F series?

I have an iphone 3g, when you plug it in, it says, charging, the indicator shows as charging etc. But, it doesn't! I always just assume dit was given the fact it says it is. But, after having it plugged in for an hour there was no increase in battery level.

Am I late to the party with this or am I missing something? You would think being usb, it would charge just like it would with a normal compute usb connection.

The D series it said plain and simple its not compatible and it will not charge, it wont even give an indicator its charging. This is different though, it says not compatible and do you want to go into airplane mode, but it does say its charging.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on Pioneer's website that it will not charge the unit.

My Moto ROKR is the same way. You can plug it into a USB adapter all day but if the software isn't installed, or if its a generic plug with a USB for +5vDC, it will not charge.

pretty stupid.

Are you sure? I know my indicator says it is, but in fact its not. Considering if im on a long phone call and my iphone is nearly dead it will actuall drop battery.

I called pioneer support, they said it doesn't charge it, that the new iphones use the firewire charging pins instead of usb, so by definition it wont.

But that makes no sense though because usb charges just fine on the computer.

So that's why im so confused. One would think if it wasn't charging the ipod woudl know that, and well if it was, it would.

I never really thougth about it until today I had it plugged in over an hour, what would normally been enough to nearly fully charge it, actually dropped battery life. Now I know its not the phone because the car charger, designed for ipod works great.

Well not sure why a pioneer tech would say that the NEW 3G phones charge via firewire, when in fact they charge though USB.. That was the hole stink about all the accessories etc not working with the new phones. So who ever told you that lied..

Iphone 3G phones charge through USB ONLY. I have one, and it seems to charge just fine.. Maybe a little slower (which maybe why you lost juice, depending on how long that call was). Also were you using bluetooth during that call?

Ah I read this article. http://blog.seanalexander.com/2008/07/1 ... dHiFi.aspx

It would seem then that the F series cable has the old firewire charging pins instead of the new usb, it was engineered a few years ago im sure, before the iphone 3g charging pins were changed.

There are numerous adapters like pointed out here.

The only thing I can assume, because I have to be honest this thing has never charged my iphone now that i come to think about it, but being that is usb based adn hooked toa computer, its probably being told its charging, but no juice is actually being delivered on the right pins.

The guys who said it worked, are you using the original iphone or the new iphone 3g? The new one I guess is when the pin changed to the new usb. So that would explain why the 1st gen iphone works, iphone 3g does not.

At least based on at that article.

This did throw me fo ra loop though because the thing says its charging.

If I just have it plugged into the f series and I don't do anything but listen to music, after over an hour the indicator didnt go up in anyway.

I know the D series actually told you it wont charge and will be disabled, this one just says its not compatible and says charging.

There is a cable that should have come with the Fseries if it didnt there is a cable that does USB / Video and connects directly to your IPhone 3G. It looks like a splitter that splits into a usb connection that connects to the USB coming out of the f series. Is this the cable you are using? or is it ONLY the ipod connection to the iphone... Cause this cable will NOT charge the phone. See link below of the cable i am using:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8880277&st=ipod+cable+for+pioneer&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=1210981700267

I am using the official pioneer cable that you had to buy for ipod use. Pioneer CD-IU230V

I do seem to be having other issues like forward/back button on the pac steering wheel aka wired remote interface doesn't always work witht eh ipod, its very unpredictable but primarily does not work. But it did,

So I am wondering if it does work, but the cable could be bad.

However, video and music play back is fine, and control through the device itself is fine, so im not sure if thats the case or not.

I guess it would be great to know, does it in fact charge the phone or not, if not why the heck does the iphone think iti s being charged? One would assume it works, so it should charge it as it states.

Gall I hate these weird problems, ruins the harmony.

Some of you people get some strange problems, my iphone 3g definitly charges and it seems to do it fairly quickly. My battery was nearly half dead and after 45 minutes of driving with it plugged in using cable CD-IU230V it was nearly fully charged after less than an hour.

I know mine charges too, I've plugged it in with a nearly dead battery numerous times and after an hour of charging I have half a battery.

I was thinking about this last night, and it might have something to do with the fact that I'm using Apple's Composite A/V cable kit, so it may have the correct pinout for the new USB charging protocol.