AVIC411.com

IN PROGRESS: Fixing up Samantha

I'm using the 2008.4 (didn't know there was a 2008.10). I haven't tried any highways yet, but just regular roads around here, it shows the name fine on the screen, but Samantha just says "Turn right in xx feet" or "take the next right". I couldn't get her to say a single street name.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's one. Yesterday I was getting on the the freeway (I-15 N.B.) and Samantha said "in more than 1/4 mile turn left onto I"-.. what, no "15" ? But, when I get closer she will say "turn onto I-fifteen" I know that she used to say it correctly before I updated my maps to 2008.4 from the 2007.10 that came with the F90BT.

Is there a fix for this?

Thanx,

Bud

Here's one. Yesterday I was getting on the the freeway (I-15 N.B.) and Samantha said "in more than 1/4 mile turn left onto I"-.. what, no "15" ? But, when I get closer she will say "turn onto I-fifteen" I know that she used to say it correctly before I updated my maps to 2008.4 from the 2007.10 that came with the F90BT.

Is there a fix for this?

Thanx,

Bud

It does it to me too. It really doesn't bother me too much, though. I guess we will just have to live with it until the next rounds of maps come out or revert back to the older maps.

• 3 weeks later...

Love the new Samantha. One funny problem though is, with street names like:

"148th Ave NE" (One hundred forty-eighth avenue northeast)

Samantha pronounces that as "One Hundred forty-eighth avenue Nebraska"

Which is, you know, humorous...is there a way to fix that? Street names that begin with NE, as in "NE Union Hill Rd", are pronounced correctly.

I looked over the files in \config but there's nothing in rules.ini or any of the .csv's that seem to override this.

Well, since nobody else seems to care much about TTS anymore, here ya go, Doogie.

No guarantees.

ftp://avic:avic-411@buckeyecollision.us ... e-Auto.zip

cmh, I just tried it out in a simulation, and I have to say it did make a difference in her speaking a lot better. I will know more when I get on the road tomorrow. Thanks.

Now, if I could just leave my unit alone for one day....

• 2 weeks later...

Please forgive my newbieness, but I seem to have lost Samantha. All I get is Jason, whether I choose his voice or Samantha's. Don't get me wrong, he sounds way better than the stock Samantha my Avic came with, and again hats off to cmh928 for the mod that makes the avic worth keeping, but I miss a female voice. I have tried the other languages and you can tell the voice quality is way better. However, I have also lost the street names. So instead of saying "turn onto I-95, north" it now says "prepare to exit highway" If I choose French or Spanish, the street names are still there.

I'd revert back but then I lose use of the 2008.10 POI's.

Oh well.

How do you go about reverting to the 2007.10 maps? I tried simply overwriting my 2008.04 California map with the 2007.10 California map file, but when it booted I just had the green basemaps and no streets.

Also, why do you lose the 2008.10 POI's if you downgrade from the 2008.04 maps to the 2007.10 maps?

Oh well.

How do you go about reverting to the 2007.10 maps? I tried simply overwriting my 2008.04 California map with the 2007.10 California map file, but when it booted I just had the green basemaps and no streets.

Also, why do you lose the 2008.10 POI's if you downgrade from the 2008.04 maps to the 2007.10 maps?

Are you sure you didn't put the California POI file in the California map location???

Oh well.

Are you sure you didn't put the California POI file in the California map location???

I didn't replace the california poi file, just the california map file. And, I checked, I did put it in the correct place. So i was running the 2007.10 california map file and the 2008.10 CA poi file.

Did you make sure that you didn't put the POI file in the map folder? I actually did it once and the same thing happened to me. Also some versions of maps don't work with other versions of poi. There is a whole bunch of threads regarding maps changes and poi's. Check those out, as this thread is for samantha changes.

Check again, because the poi and map files carry the same extention.. .fbl. I actually did it once and the same thing happened to me. Also some versions of maps don't work with other versions of poi. There is a whole bunch of threads regarding maps changes and poi's. Check those out, as this thread is for samantha changes.

Please!

Maps are .FBL. POI files are .POI. They do NOT have the same extension.