AVIC411.com

2.0 update netted Fatal Application Error

OK - so I'm updating to FW 2.0 and everything is going fine - update progresses to the point I have to reset so I can go on to the Bluetooth part of the upgrade. On reboot and after the splash screen I get a Fatal Application Error "Application ezrider has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down..." Numerous attempts to reset (both with reset alone and reset with eject) always gets me to the exact same error message. Main menu screen stays stuck on the normal startup message after closing out the error message. Most functions (like listening to the radio) will work for a bit, then lock up on the same error message. I've a message in to Pioneer, but they won't get back to me for a while. Ideas??? F90BT with 1.001700 was what I was trying to upgrade to 2.0 from...

BTW, great forum - I've been lurking for a while and searched hard for a fix before posting (this is not the same problem some others have had with BT pairing), so apologize in advance for this first post (used to sharing good news, not problems). TIA for any help, guys!

I have the same problem !

Everything seemed to work fine until I was on the road for about 10 and then bam, restart and as soon as it came back up I had the EZrider fatal error...

I am going to try to reinstall the update and see what it does...

EDIT: I tried reinstalling the update, but it wouldn't even look at the SD card, it just goes into this boot - restart loop... everytime stopping short of displaying the fatal error message...

I sure hope this hasn't f-ed up my F90BT, and if it did, it better be warranty!

well at this point I think the unit is hosed, because it has been in an update loop for about 30 minutes.

It won't go into test mode either, seems like it's totally bypassing the SD card...

It boots up, "system is starting up" and then I can just see the EZrider error message and then it reboots.

It starts up quicker though ;)

i just came across the same problem as I was updating one of our 900BTs we had on the shelf. I am wondering if we caused this by inadvertantly skipping a step in the update process. the reason I say that is because I just updated 2 900BTs with the instructions in my hand following them step by step. This 3rd one is the one that is now giving me the fatal error and it just so happens that I decided to update it by memory rather than following the instructions step by step. as far as I know that did everything right but I know there is a chance that I forgot to do something. just suggesting this in case any one realizes their mistake AND to make sure that everyone else follows the instructings to a T.

BTW, the 2 other units I updated worked just fine.

The pioneer rep suggested that mine messed up because I opened the door while it was updating... :shock:

Well it's water under the bridge for me now, as I just sent it off to Pioneer to get it fixed...

I'd be interrested in the sollution though, in case it happens again with update 2.1 :wink:

Well, Pioneer Customer Service hems and haws knowingly and told me to send the unit in to have it reflashed. I asked why I couldn't simply get the files and reflash it myself and he told be the files "aren't available to the customer"... Funny, the 2.0 update is available to the customer! Anyway, he claims 5-7 days turnaround. If anyone has the July update (1.17) to send, I'd really appreciate it, since I just want to back out of the update for now...

Anyone have any further insights to this problem (2.0 install and constant reboots or errors)? It'd be good to know for down the road... If need be, I'l break down and send the unit in, but doing so offends my problem-solving tendencies :-)

UPDATE: Well, I broke down and sent it in to Pioneer. At least they were pretty quick - sent it on a Monday and got it back the following Wednesday - upgraded to 2.0 and working perfectly!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was able to fix this issue...hopefully you made a backup of your flashdisk to take some files from.

1. Go to your backup flash disk and save a copy of the "USER" folder to an SD card (I am doing this from memory and I think it is the top level)

Then go to APL2-->iGo and save a copy of ezrider.exe to your SD card.

2. If you log into the APL2-->iGo folder on the HU iteself you will see a file named "crash," delete this file, it should not be there. If you look at your clean flash disk you will see it is not there.

3. Overwrite the corrupt ezrider file that is currently in the iGo folder with the good version you copied from your back flash disk.

4. Overwrite the USER folder on the top level with the good version of that as well

This is an alternative to this:

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20296

(I am not a fan of deleting things from the head unit, I prefer to overwrite in case something happens in between deleting and copying)

Technically, anything in iGO's SAVE folder can be safely removed. Actually it is an often suggested troubleshooting step.

Also, CRASH file is a crash log that might have information about causes of the crash. It's presence on the flash disk won't affect anything.

• 1 month later...
I was able to fix this issue...hopefully you made a backup of your flashdisk to take some files from.

1. Go to your backup flash disk and save a copy of the "USER" folder to an SD card (I am doing this from memory and I think it is the top level)

Then go to APL2-->iGo and save a copy of ezrider.exe to your SD card.

2. If you log into the APL2-->iGo folder on the HU iteself you will see a file named "crash," delete this file, it should not be there. If you look at your clean flash disk you will see it is not there.

3. Overwrite the corrupt ezrider file that is currently in the iGo folder with the good version you copied from your back flash disk.

4. Overwrite the USER folder on the top level with the good version of that as well

This is an alternative to this:

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20296

(I am not a fan of deleting things from the head unit, I prefer to overwrite in case something happens in between deleting and copying)

It worked for me, thanks!

I tried just erasing the setup folder contents and the igo saved folder contents to no avail. Then I tried just replacing the ezrider.exe to no avail. Then I did both and did a reset and it worked perfectly. Thanks again.