AVIC411.com

showing foreign characters instead of boxes in ipod menus

so i've been trying to get foreign characters to show on the iPOD song selection screen and finally figured it out. I'm not sure if it's been put up yet but here's the walkthrough

1. go here http://www.phm.lu/downloads/download.aspx?{940B734A-C437-41C7-ADED-2A4418802FD3} and download Handheld PC Pro, 2000 (ARM) . its a registry editor and put it on your SD card

2. for whatever foreign language you're adding, go to your windows\fonts directory and put the font into your SD card. I did mine for Korean language support so I used the gulim.ttc font

3. make sure you have the files in your SD card to start up in testmode and boot the sucker up

4. go access your SD card and copy your font (.ttc) file to the windows directory on your unit

5. now to fiddle with the registry, install the .cab file that should be named regedit.Jup_ARM.CAB if you didn't change it when you saved it to your card (it will give you a warning that the file is not compatible but just install anyway. it worked fine for me)

6. go to start -> programs -> PHM registry editor

7. expand HKEY_Local_Machine, expand software, expand Microsoft

8. go to edit -> new -> key and name it to "FontLink"

9. in the new FontLink folder, make another folder(key) and call it "SystemLink"

10. within the SystemLink folder edit -> new -> multistringvalue and for the name put "Tahoma" and for the value put (in my case) "\windows\gulim.ttc, Gulim"

(in essence what this is doing is that if the font to display the characters isn't available in Tahoma to then look through the user defined font file (ie gulim.ttc) for the font.

hope that made some sense cheers! :D

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It works for MingLiU (Chinese Characters) for file names and folder names. However, some information such as ID3 Tag like album and song names do not display correctly. Maybe we should modify the default language to corresponding one of the system.

I heard wince.nls (/windows) may be replaced by other languages' however, it is hidden in this pioneer system. And no idea any much further.