AVIC411.com

AVIC-F Hardwire Bypass for Dummies

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I just completed a 4600 mile cross country trip in a very different car including doing Route 66. I grew to really hate the GPS as it assumes I don't have a passenger that could check to see what gas stations were coming up, etc. So I found this forum and this thread. Appreciate all that has been written so far.

My situation seems a bit unique as the AVIC comes standard in my car without the mating white connectors. The wires are tied directly into a harness in the car. This is a different car. A Rossion Q1.

So... in my attempt to understand the mods and figure out how to use this, I pulled out the head unit and found a light green wire that connected to a wire (directly) which ran into the harness and presumably toward the handbrake. Step one was to ground the hand brake wire, so I connected the light green wire to an existing ground wire (black) coming off the AVIC. I know there is some controversy as if you need to run a separate ground, but that is how I did it.

Now, I am getting an error. One, the car is showing a brake error light to my surprise. I guess the dash wants to see the wire that was connected to the AVIC connected? This confuses me.

Also, I would like to do the mute wire mod, but without a connector... I don't think this works. I read that people are using the mute wire only because it is an accessible wire not being used otherwise and that in reality, you are grounding pin 4 on the connector. Since I don't have a connector, is there a wire color that was connected to pin 4? I am not sure what to ground.

My alternative would be to combine the hand brake mod and the software mod, which may be the route I go. But I would like to understand if possible the mute wire deal.

Thanks.

... Step one was to ground the hand brake wire, so I connected the light green wire to an existing ground wire (black) coming off the AVIC. I know there is some controversy as if you need to run a separate ground, but that is how I did it.

Now, I am getting an error. One, the car is showing a brake error light to my surprise. I guess the dash wants to see the wire that was connected to the AVIC connected? This confuses me.

You now need to cut the green wire where it heads back into the car, after where you grounded it. When you are done, a green wire will come out of the radio and be grounded to an existing black wire. (That stuff about needing a separate ground is nonsense.)

On the car harness, you will have a green wire that is cut and not grounded. Now the car will be happy and not think the parking brake is applied.

It sounds like you now must do the software mod to prevent the improper connection warning.

• 3 weeks later...

Installed Avic F90bt into G35 infiniti with no problem using JDM kit... no problem hardwire bypass, I do have 1/2 inch gap at the bottom .... need to figured out how to cover the gap.....forgot and started the car to move inside garage with airbag plug disconnect now airbag light flashing....found info how to reset will try and see if that work....

• 5 months later...

Yeah, it's a little hard to see, but it's the only picture I could find anywhere that illustrated the whole bypass "finished". It goes off to the left, but it doesn't connect to the block with the yellow wire on the top. If you look on the left, you'll see the radio's ground with two black wires coming off of it. One of them is longer and runs towards the top of the table; the other is shorter and goes off to the left; that second one is connected to the other end of the light green wire. If you look close, you can see it and follow it all the way back to where the mute wire and brake wire are joined.

Beating a dead horse here, I know, but I had this bypass briefly working and then it stopped. Redid everything again and success is intermittent. In this statement, you say you have the parking brake wire and newly located mute wire joined to a third dark green wire. When you say "radio's ground" are you referring to the one from from the radio itself. I assume, if this is so, that you have the second wire from the radio's ground connected to the third green dark wire and the radio's ground connected to the car's wiring harness ground. What I was doing was taking all four, p-brake, mute, radio ground and car ground and running them into a wire nut. Does resetting have any effect? Would the safest way be to ground seperatly all three wires from the radio; p-brake, mute and from radio ground? Thanks and I don't know why this such a PTIA. It seems simple enough.

What I was doing was taking all four, p-brake, mute, radio ground and car ground and running them into a wire nut. Does resetting have any effect? Would the safest way be to ground seperatly all three wires from the radio; p-brake, mute and from radio ground? Thanks and I don't know why this such a PTIA. It seems simple enough.

It's really this simple.

Take the following wires from the AVIC:

*parking brake

*moved mute wire

*AVIC black ground wire

and connect them to the normally black chassis ground that comes from the car harness.

it really is that simple, if you're having issues, then you have a connection problem, and the most frequent one is issues with folks butchering the mute wire when moving it..

It's really this simple.

Take the following wires from the AVIC:

*parking brake

*moved mute wire

*AVIC black ground wire

and connect them to the normally black chassis ground that comes from the car harness.

it really is that simple, if you're having issues, then you have a connection problem, and the most frequent one is issues with folks butchering the mute wire when moving it..

I realize how simple it is and have had it working consistently (over a drive), then out of nowhere it stops. To fix it , I play with the two grounds and P-brake and mute and get it working again briefly. I do not believe it is the mute wire b/c I have not touched it since install and have gotten the bypass to work. I can't check the radio side of the mute wire anyways b/c a screw has worked itself loose from the indash kit and now the whole radio is jammed so I would have to remove the dash to remove the stereo. Arrrgh. I am going to test making a seperate ground for the two.

I installed F500BT today (actually, last two days... I had to get some extra parts) :)

Anyways, I drove around town today and I saw a message that p-brake wire is not installed properly. huh? I grounded.

The unit is running version 2.006.

Thanks,

• 6 months later...

Well I am getting the error message and did not do a bypass at all, i connected the parking brake wire to the green parking brake wire that came off the GMOS-04 adapter and got a message a week later that parking lead was not connected correctly.

I am trying to follow the pictures to do the bypass but from the picture the light green wire is connected to black ground on one end and yellow mute on the other, that makes no sense, od did u just tap the mute wire into the middle of the light green wire? u say light green wire and yellow mute connected to light green wire , so connected to itself? confusing :)

There's this thread you're replying to, and a sticky. If yo can't folow it, don't do it. It's extremely basic.

As I told you in your other thread, you aren't connecting the parking brake to anything. You're connecting it to the parking break wire on some factory adapter harness, not the actual parking brake lead.

Install it correctly and it'll work. If you can't do it yourself, take it to an installer and pay them. End of discussion.

There's this thread you're replying to, and a sticky. If yo can't folow it, don't do it. It's extremely basic.

As I told you in your other thread, you aren't connecting the parking brake to anything. You're connecting it to the parking break wire on some factory adapter harness, not the actual parking brake lead.

Install it correctly and it'll work. If you can't do it yourself, take it to an installer and pay them. End of discussion.

hmm u got a point there, but since the adapter is made just for that car and the radio, i assumed their green parking cable then connects to car's harnace which should in effect connect the light green to gmos green wire to the correct location eliminating any errors. i did not ask for help on this here, just about the diagram for the bypass which i might attempt, if u are not helping why thread crap at all?

because you aren't following.

If you're trying to connect the parking brake wire from the avic, it's not in the factory radio harness.

If you're trying to do the bypass, move the mute wire, connect it and the parking brake wire to ground.

Not a big deal, nor is it rocket science. It has, however, been covered so much on this forum that the whole topic is just a pile of covers now.

Not thread crapping. Pointing out what you're failing to grasp.

Also, why did you reply to a thread that's been dormant for 7 months, instead of the sticky at the top of this forum dealing with the exact same thing?

because you aren't following.

If you're trying to connect the parking brake wire from the avic, it's not in the factory radio harness.

If you're trying to do the bypass, move the mute wire, connect it and the parking brake wire to ground.

Not a big deal, nor is it rocket science. It has, however, been covered so much on this forum that the whole topic is just a pile of covers now.

Not thread crapping. Pointing out what you're failing to grasp.

Also, why did you reply to a thread that's been dormant for 7 months, instead of the sticky at the top of this forum dealing with the exact same thing?

I feel your pain. I can't imagine how to make it any clearer than it already is.