AVIC411.com

HOW TO: US Speed & Elevation Road Signs

US Speed and Elevation Road Signs...

[uPDATED 3/4/09 to assist with removing the Route Info and Map Zoom displays so they dont overlap with the road signs. Note that step #3, will turn off the route info display when no route is selected however when a route IS selected, the route info display will be fixed to show distance to destination, time to destination and current speed. Still looking for code to allow you to set these variables through the AVIC interface]

1) Copy the (3) bitmap files in the ZIP file to \ui_pioneer\common. These are the various road sign templates. You may want to make a backup of speed.bmp. I'm not sure if this stock speed.bmp is even used on the F series.

2) Copy the DSDIGI.TTF file to \My Flash Disk\APL2\iGo on your F series. Note: This is an alternate font used for the digital display on the "your speed" sign. You can stick with the stock fonts but if you do, you will need to change it back to tahoma or tahomabd in navigatemap_800_480.ui.

3) If you are using the stock navigatemap_800_480, you will notice that the ROUTE INFO display will show when not navigating and this will be a waste of precious screen realestate. If you are already using a script like Mavrickster's, this has already been removed for you. If not, you will probably want to turn off this off. This also will allow the various road signs to not overlap the ROUTE INFO display. If you are already using Mavricksters mods, you can skip to step 4.

To turn off the ROUTE INFO display when not navigating, replace all the code in the section as with this code:

; start hidden

hide

;end hidden

4) To also remove the Map Scale, open up DATA\ui_pioneer\common\ui\navigatemap.ui and seach and replace all references of

map.ZOOMCONTROL_SHOW 1

with

map.ZOOMCONTROL_SHOW 0

Do the same thing for DATA\ui_pioneer\common\ui\browsemap.ui

4) To display the posted speed limit, place the following code in navigatemap_800_480.ui in the same layer as noted in step 3 (). Insert this code at the bottom, just before the statement:

;Display Posted Speed Limit

5) To display your elevation, add the following code in the same layer (again, just before the statement:

;Display Elevation

6) To display your clocked speed, add the following code in the same layer (again, just before the statement:

;Display Clocked Speed

Many thanks to those who have gone before me to show the way....

signs_and_font.zip

post-22762-12872756689726_thumb.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The signs look great!! If you don't mind I might use your speed limit sign in my set up. Yours is a bit smaller than mine. The sign I created is 100 px high - it's shown in this thread http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19965

If I can get yours enlarged to 100 px high, it's going in.

Try this out when have a chance, I think you'll get a kick out of it. Create a route along a path where you know there is speed limit data. Do a fly over on the route and you;ll notice the sign will display with the speed limit. If the data changes on the route, the sign will change accordingly. Now here's the fun part. With your newly created digital "Your Speed" sign, see if it'll display the simulated speed. If it does snap a picture of it. It'll likely show a speed in excess of 200 mph.

Awesome work on the signs.

It's a shame that the iGo maps have such skimpy speed limit coverage in the US. I need to hop on a freeway in order to see any posted speed limits. I confirmed it isnt any better with the 2008.4 North America maps. Garmin on the other hand displays speed limits for all my local surface streets. I would have thought that iGo would need this data in order to calculate an ETA for a route.

It's a shame that the iGo maps have such skimpy speed limit coverage in the US. I need to hop on a freeway in order to see any posted speed limits. I confirmed it isnt any better with the 2008.4 North America maps. Garmin on the other hand displays speed limits for all my local surface streets. I would have thought that iGo would need this data in order to calculate an ETA for a route.

I think they do store average speed on the road. If you add:

show_speed_limit=1

to the [debug] section of SYS.TXt it will show speeds that iGO uses for route calculation when you hit a road on screen (or click the info button). Posted speed limits are nice, but I am sure they do not want to be liable for people speeding through residential streets because the speed limit has changed after maps were compiled...

BTW, with built-in flyover it will drive super very extra fast. There's also route simulation which drives at speed limit (this mode also activates warnings, like speed camera etc.). I had a mod posted at one point that would ask you which one you wanted to use when you click flyover button, but did not put it back after 2.0 because simulation seems to be accessible through another layer of menus somewhere in route info...

You are right BorisM and thanks for responding. They do store some form of speed limit data which can be viewed when you add that setting to SYS.TXT. It certainly isnt posted speed limit info. The display you get (along side the road name when you tap the screen over a road) is something like 26/?50. Not sure what that is but not very usable. I did a little googling and from what I can tell, the maps iGo uses these days dont have many posted speed limits for US surface streets (they did some time ago). Seems that they still have fairly good coverage in Europe. I agree the iGo folks may be hesitant to display the posted speed limit if they get adjusted every so often however Garmin doesnt seem to care, at least in my part of the US.

Thanks again!

You are right BorisM and thanks for responding. They do store some form of speed limit data which can be viewed when you add that setting to SYS.TXT. It certainly isnt posted speed limit info. The display you get (along side the road name when you tap the screen over a road) is something like 26/?50. Not sure what that is but not very usable. I did a little googling and from what I can tell, the maps iGo uses these days dont have many posted speed limits for US surface streets (they did some time ago). Seems that they still have fairly good coverage in Europe. I agree the iGo folks may be hesitant to display the posted speed limit if they get adjusted every so often however Garmin doesnt seem to care, at least in my part of the US.

Thanks again!

You're welcome. For what it's worth, my portable Navigon (Navteq maps) does not display speed limits for every street either. Highways, sure, some major roads, but not much else...

Numbers that are displayed are, I think, something average and max speed on the road segment.

• 4 weeks later...

ok, help me here if you can. i wanted the speed limit sign to show up, i did what i thought was right but i dont see the speed limit sign and im wondering if i have it added up on the left side that's full or something. i added most of the mod as directed but since i already have some of that on my unit. I did step 1 copying the 3 bmp's as directed. I added step 3 for the posted speed limit sign to show up where i was told to paste it. i didn't copy the DSDIGI.TTF file as i already have my speed displaying on the top how i like it, and skipped step 4 for the elevation. I'm wondering if its not showing up because there's no room on my left side, i have room on the right lower side but not sure if i need to edit it somehow to move it and make it display in the opening. any help? thanks everyone!!

post-25892-12872756896552_thumb.jpg

post-25892-12872756900441_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...