AVIC411.com

F-Series 3.0 update coming? Wondering what's in it...

Agreed. According to this thread, it seems that the update will be free (without maps). I think this is fair.

My thought is that 20 years ago, a company had to get things exactly right when they released a product. Now, they can release it half-baked knowing that they'll be able to "fix" it soon and make money off sales while "fixing" it. This isn't anything unique with Pioneer. Take video game consoles....5-10 years ago, any game released had very few bugs. Now that consoles are connected to the internet, we constantly get updates/fixes (content that wasn't ready in time for the release, bug fixes, etc.). It isn't fair to merely blame the customer for wanting free updates. The electronics industry as a whole has adopted the model of being OK with releasing "nearly final" product.

That said, my 3rd F500BT (yes, 3rd, the first 2 were defective) works flawlessly and is very responsive. I'm happy!

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe F-Series 3.0 is already emboddied in new F9110BT alredy announced by Piooner UK with VW/Skoda/Seat form factor.

If you check the image there are slights changes on the pic announced.

[attachment=0]avic-f9110bt.jpg[/attachment]

The newer iGo maps support 3d city landscapes.. This image suggests this is not the case. So firmware.. maybe, but maps not.

Also, here is the same screenshot from a F500, Found in the 2008 Europe navigation brochure :

Not quite the same though, it's taken from the other side. The image used in the press release probebly has been altered. In the 2008 brochure image you can see it's taken using the Demo modus...

Agreed. According to this thread, it seems that the update will be free (without maps). I think this is fair.

I still wonder if there will be any update to 3.0.... Pioneer support say they know nothing about it :(

And if there is a 3.0 update, the question is ...when??

I would KILL for that F9110BT. That would fit PERFECTLY in my 07 Jetta. God knows they will never bring it stateside :( . I can't find a decent double din dash kit that really matches the rest of the softtouch plastics on the dash. I've even paid $80 for ones from Europe, but the fitment was crap. This looks absolutely awesome if I could ever get my hands on one. Who knows, maybe Pioneer is going to announce a line of factory-fit models for the US, similar to the ones at Crutchfield, where they have one for GM, one for Chrysler, one for Toyotas, Ford etc. I could maybe see that happening as many car manufacturers are using pretty much the same radio openings in all their new lineups. God that would be awesome.

The newer iGo maps support 3d city landscapes.. This image suggests this is not the case. So firmware.. maybe, but maps not.

The one in both yours and cfdezg's posts appear to support 3d city landscapes - that building is a 3d icon in both posts if I'm not mistaken.

Also, the map display looks updated/much better in cfdezg's post. The time in OS 2.0's stock display - and in your example - is horrendous. cfdezg's example also has a nicer three dimensional look to the path arrows.

Perhaps this is a preview of what the new firmware map update will look like afterall?

The one in both yours and cfdezg's posts appear to support 3d city landscapes - that building is a 3d icon in both posts if I'm not mistaken.

Also, the map display looks updated/much better in cfdezg's post. The time in OS 2.0's stock display - and in your example - is horrendous. cfdezg's example also has a nicer three dimensional look to the path arrows.

Perhaps this is a preview of what the new firmware map update will look like afterall?

Nothing that some skin editing couldn't fix even in current version.

8.3 does add some features (and could be lighter/faster) but visual-wise it looks pretty much exactly the same as 8.0, except for displaying road signs, like Navigon...

Maybe F-Series 3.0 is already emboddied in new F9110BT alredy announced by Piooner UK with VW/Skoda/Seat form factor.

If you check the image there are slights changes on the pic announced.

[attachment=0]avic-f9110bt.jpg[/attachment]

In my opinion I think the F9110bt is a waste of space... all Pioneer did was re-package the F900 with a different bezel. If this is going to be a VW factory option I would want it to be at least 7" or 8" screen, it's not like they don't have the room. If I was buying a new VW Jetta or JTI I would get the standard Nav unit, but that me.

Bug Fixes and software updates should be free of charge.

Maps updates should cost money.

They should be separate.

Bug fixes should be free BUT, any update that offers new features is worthy of a price tag.

If the bug fixes and new features are bound, it should be free.

If they are separate, I can justify charging for new features. I will not pay for functionality that was advertised and not delivered.

I hope it will use 8.3 IGO when it comes out. The TMC function we use in europe is horrible.

You cannot see what traffic is on your route so you can choose re guidense or not. All you can see is teh entire list and the ones that are on you route are in the top position. only knowing your route you know wich traffic jams are ahead on you route. If you not know with your destination you have no glue if you have trafic jams.

In 8.3 you will see all that information on your screen.