AVIC411.com

Installing F90BT in 2006 Mustang GT with stock Shaker 500

I recently ordered a Pioneer Premier AVIC-F90BT for my 2006 Ford Mustang GT which has the stock Shaker 500 system still in it. I have been doing some research on what wiring harnesses and adapters I may need to do the install and have found conflicting information. Crutchfield says I need the PAC C2R-FRD1. One local install shop agrees with them. Another local install shop says I don't need it. Some web forum posts say I need the Metra 70-5521. Other posts say I need the Metra 70-5511. Some say I need a RCA Y adapter. My local install shops say the F90BT does not support Ford's Volume Speed Sensing feature, yet I've found posts that say it does. I don't know who to believe. I want to do this myself, so here are my requirements.

1. Retain the Ford Accessory Delay feature where the F90BT will stay on for up to 10 minutes or until a door is opened.

2. Retain the Ford Volume Speed Sensing feature where the F90BT automatically increases its volume as the vehicle increases speed. This is not important, but is nice because you get quite a bit of engine and road noise inside a Mustang GT and I don't want to have to keep raising and lowering the volume as I speed up and slow down in traffic.

3. No "pop" sound when the F90BT is powered on.

4. All of the features in the F90BT function fully.

I will not be replacing the stock speakers or amps at this time. What wiring harness(es) and/or adapters will I need to install the F90BT in my 2006 Ford Mustang GT while getting all of the things I listed above?

I own an 07 Mustang with Shaker 500. I followed the instructions located at http://forums.stangnet.com/736028-pioneer-avic-d3-installation-write-up.html. It's for the D3 but the wiring is the same. I first installed the FH-P800BT and have recently upgraded to the F700. I used the Metra # 70-5521 harness since the PAC harness was not available at the time. I've read that the PAC harness is easier and has the 5V fix built in. It's significantly more expensive of course.

To your questions:

Delay Feature: Will work fine. The delay is controlled in the power circuitry and is not a function of the radio.

Pop Sound: Wire in the 5V regulator as discussed at stangnet or use the PAC harness.

Variable Speed Sensor: My F700 doesn't use the wire so can't really help. I have read where users have tapped into the fuse box by the passenger footwell for the VSS connection. The PAC harness includes a VSS output wire but I don't know if this does the job or not. You'll have to research this some more.

The only other minor issue to consider is the ILL wire. Our Mustangs do not have a dimmer wire in the factory harness. You'll need to tap into a wire behind the headlight switch. (Search stangnet and you'll find a several posts related to the ILL wire.) Again, the PAC harness has an ILL wire built-in so may solve the problem.

I would definitely research the PAC harness if convenience an important factor. It may be a one-stop-shop and avoid some work arounds. It looks nice but is pricey.

Best of luck. Take your time and you'll be fine.

Sell the Blue Oval and get a quieter car like a Hyundai :lol:

you can have my blue oval when you pry it from my cold dead hands :P

We also prefer our cars have a little character and even be fun. Unlike anything from Asia. :P

I heard GT-R has plenty character. And outruns any Ford.

But everyone knows that real cars come from Germany. After all they invented them.

:D:D:D

But everyone knows that real cars come from Germany. After all they invented them.

Any ford? ...Super Snake?... Ford GT?....... oh yeh, nissan doesnt even know what a super car is :lol:

and while i was waiting for my tires to get mounted eariler this week, i was reading the motor trend where the new CTS-V spanks the new M5 and cost 30K less :wink:

Any ford? ...Super Snake?... Ford GT?....... oh yeh, nissan doesnt even know what a super car is :lol:

and while i was waiting for my tires to get mounted eariler this week, i was reading the motor trend where the new CTS-V spanks the new M5 and cost 30K less :wink:

Well, short of the 500 or whatever it was called, GT-R will, stock for stock. And ofg course it will eat it alive in the event you actually need to do things like... turning and stuff :) Although some Fords are pretty quick going straight.

Of course pretty much any car can be made to go faster than any other car. The question is whether you really want to.

Well, short of the 500 or whatever it was called, GT-R will, stock for stock. And ofg course it will eat it alive in the event you actually need to do things like... turning and stuff :) Although some Fords are pretty quick going straight.

Of course pretty much any car can be made to go faster than any other car. The question is whether you really want to.

sure it will. just go ahead and use launch mode and smoke the trans. it voids the warranty if you use launch mode, but thats the only way to make that car fast. if you were to run the gtr against a mustang gt (s197) with a cold air intake and tuner, without using launch mode on the gtr so you dont have to fork over $20k for a trans, it would be a bad day for the folks at nissan.

and the gtr costs over $70,000. i paid less than 25k for my GT brand new and 600 for the CAI/tuner package. thats a pretty good deal compared to the gtr.

and i heard they are programming the newer gtr's to not have launch mode since they have so many problems with it. bummer for their customers.