AVIC411.com

NEW UNIT SEALED VS UNSEALED

i just bought my D2 off ebay from a reputable seller that some members here referred me to. they said they all got their brand new SEALED and the auction itself said the unit is brand new.

i just got it today but i don't see a seal anywhere? it's just a D2 pioneer box..no wrapping, no stickers on the box covers. the D2 itself was in the usual foam electronic bag but it wasn't sealed either.

also, i can see some of the metal on the metal cage around the unit "brushed"..i don't know if thats how the metal's texture is or if it was installed previously.

can anyone tell me if this is normal? when compared to D2's bought at retail chains or 100% new D2's, does it come sealed at all?

i'm worried this can be false advertising and my unit is indeed a refurb or remanufactured blah blah
There is no tape/sticker/seal that actually seals the box when it leaves Pioneer so you could have gotten a brand new one. Look at the little black screws that hold it in the cage--most installations require taking those out so if they are scratched up from the screwdriver, you can assume its used
the black screws look untouched but someone could've gotten new screws?

i inspected the unit further..the UPC on the D2 doesn't match the UPC on the box. but the serial# sticker on the unit matches the one on the box..but it's just stickers..

don't know if this is normal or not. really not feeling too confident about this purchase as being new anymore..

also no plastic film to protect the LCD screen..one would expect a new unit to have one.
I was thinking the same thing when I got my D2.

There was no seal on the box, and no plastic film on the screen.

However, everything looked brand new, and having ordered it from Crutchfield, I was not worried in the least bit.

What was the sellers ID that you bought it from? That could tell a lot of whether its new or not. A big time Powerseller is not going to take the time to buy new screws, and even if someone did, they still have to screw the screws in using a screwdriver, so that wouldve scratched the screws. Personally, if the unit looks brand new and all the wires are in neatly coiled, I would assume its new. Very, VERY few people would go through everything that would be required for it to look new.
the seller is hifiaudioonline. he is a powerseller.

at first i was confident that the unit was really brand new and might still be brand new.

but some things just don't add up.

why would the UPC codes not match the unit and the box? why would he say he doesn't have the manufature month/yr when i asked him..but it says the date on the outside of the box?

the cage looks installed however the black screws appear fine.

and how come a new D2 is almost as cheap as a refurb'd D1 and less than a new D1?
I have bought from hifiaudioonline before.

They are extremely trustworthy and they are not the type of sellers who would do all the extra work that would be required to make it appear new if it were used.

I would believe them that it is new just as much as I believe Crutchfield that my unit was new.

[quote]why would the UPC codes not match the unit and the box?[/quote]

I have no idea, but I have to take my D2 out on Friday, so I'll check the UPC on that with the UPC on the box and let you know if someone else doesn't have an answer.

[quote]why would he say he doesn't have the manufature month/yr when i asked him..but it says the date on the outside of the box?
[/quote]
There could be a couple of reasons:
a) From what I understand, they have a HUGE warehouse full of inventory and might not be able to check the date on the unit.
b) Depending on the number they have in stock, they may not have known which unit you would be receiving, and therefore they were not able to give you the info.

[quote]and how come a new D2 is almost as cheap as a refurb'd D1 and less than a new D1?[/quote]
I have wondered that for some time, and I have absolutely no idea.
thanks for your insight. and if you can compare the upc's while you're pulling your D2 out..it'll help answer some thoughts.

i'll probably get a unit from circuit city tomorrow and compare them. might sound like i'm extremely anal but i don't like the fact of paying so much for something that might be used.

but on another note, can't wait to get this installed! i got all my accessories ready - dvd player w/ built in tv tuner (still need an antenna), remote, rear cam. the whole package for just about $900. hope the install isn't that much more difficult than my 8600mp with the extra wiring.

what do you guys use to conceal the unit when parked? the positioning of the radio in the rsx is quite attracting to thieves..
first off, dont take this as an insult, you cant expect to get everything perfect from an ebay auction. I dont care what it is, nor who sells it. As far as not giving you the manu date that could be and probably is just that they didnt want to take the time to look. I wouldnt, because that isnt something that would matter in all honesty. It is just a hassle for someone to go an take that time. You seem to be so anal for a unit that appears to be around $500 while that isnt chump change, its kind of ironic to be hopped up so much for what it is. You havent mentioned anything that would be damage, nor have you mentioned the unit doesnt work. Soooo maybe instead of going off and worring so much about it, and spending the time and money down at circuit city buying and returning and whatever, install it and see. If it doesnt work, then you know why you should probably buy from an authorized dealer. If it works, then well your excitement about it possibly being used is meaningless. afterall, the goal was probably to get a good looking, good working, inexpensive unit and if thats what it is, well then take it and run be happy.
  • 1 year later...