AVIC411.com

NEW HD RADIO GEX-P20HD Install/Review

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any update on this? I am about to return P10HD and get the P20HD. If the new unit fixes all the problem, it will be great.

I spoke with Pioneer (took them 30 minutes to figure out), and was told that P20HD has RDS and iTunes Tagging feature. The guy couldn't tell me what RDS was. :-(

Let us know if the 20HD does correctly display all the channel/song info and correctly shows the preset info.

OK guys,

After playing with my P20, it seems that it has the same issues as the P10. Also I have the P4100DVD so other headunits may not have the same problems as mine. It will not do the channel preset or do iTunes tagging. It does scroll the radio station and name of the song as long as I am within reach of the HD signal. If I am not in range, it orks just like the regular radio. The radio station name and song title scroll at a little bar at the top.

So in my opinion, the P20 is not worth the money I spent on it. If I could do it all over again, I would not have purchased it.

Thanks for the report.

I am surprised that Pioneer didn't bother to fix the issues. I was about the return my P10HD, but, at this point would just keep it. I was hoping the new "RDS" feature would give me all the information i am supposed to get. Even my 2002 dodge does that on FM.

I don't think it is the P10 or P20 unit itself that doesn't work. I believe it is more of how the headunit works with the add-on device. Many people stated that it works on other radios but as we all know it doesn't work on the F-Series units. It has to be the firmware that interacts with each device. Did Pioneer take the time to make it fully functional... not so much. :(

I know this is ever so slightly off topic but...

I just recently(yesterday) installed the GEX-P10HD, and i was pleasantly surprised when the first station i tuned to switched right in to digital mode and stayed there. I had held off on buying the tuner for several reasons(one of which was the news of a new one, and the other was quality control issues.) but when i heard that the new one did nothing new i figured i would save some money.

Really i think that the only con for the unit is the Presets labels...it really is driving me nuts. And there is absolutely no excuse for this. Pioneer made the HU and commissioned the HD tuner...why the hell is there a software incompatibility...it is the one thing that pioneer can keep right under their nose and they still blow it.

doenst sound to be a difference besides name and price.

Another thing to add to the HD Radio Preset wish for me is to have scrolling Artist/ Song info, dont like to have to hit the button.

I agree, it just doest make sense to have all that real estate and confine the song and artist information to a tiny scrolling line.

Well i, like the person above installed my second GEX-P10, (First one broke, and would not search find hd station), everything back together working fine. Today turn on the car, and nothing. It starts of at 00.0FM then finds the last channel i had used. Any button i hit related to the HD radio, that is just changing the display, like presets works but everything else like seek, clicking on presets, band do not work. It wont even beep. Every other part of the system works fine.

Its a disappointment, maybe thats the difference between the two models.

I've now had two of the P10's stop working like that. First one replaced under warranty and the new one only lasted about 2 weeks and started the same thing... I gave up on the pieces of crap and whenever I get a chance I'll be hooking up the avic to the antenna again

yeap in the same boat. Going to try convince the company to give me my money back, saves them shipping me new ones every two weeks, and me installing and shipping em back.

I wonder if thats the difference though.

The P10 now does not say compatible with our models. It says "Compatible with the following Pioneer headunits:

FH-P800BT, FH-P8000BT, DEH-P700BT, DEH-P7000BT"

The P20HD does not list compatible units...