AVIC411.com

A little teaser from SEMA

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name="DataAve"]Looks they went backwards in the design category. :shock: Very cheap looking too. Looks like a miniture TV set made in the 1970's.[/quote]

+1

It looks like crap. What was Pioneer thinking in shrinking the LCD??? In today’s mobile/portable market it's all about having the biggest screen. I think consumers are going to ignore this product as there are far better pieces at this price point with more impressive screens.
Far better pieces at around a grand? Thats why the screen is smaller, because its cheaper and more people will be able to afford it. I don't think there is another double din nav that plays movies, has bluetooth capability, can direct connect ipod video, and isn't a knockoff brand that has no hope of lasting more than a year, anywhere near that price.
The price is not going to be $1k, but below $1,500. Which means it will likely cost $1,400 or so. In that price range how about the Eclipse AVN5435, a much nicer looking unit that can be had for about $1,200.

I just don't see this new Pioneer piece selling well for anything over $900 since it visually appears to be a step-backwards from the D1/D2 or the Z1 design. I myself much prefer the D1/D2 series in terms of aesthetics, and having worked in car audio I know that aesthetics sells.
[quote name="esenior"]
The one thing that I loved about this unit that the Z1 doesn't have is the ability to customize the look and feel. You can set a background pic (as with the Z1), but [b]you can also change the colors of the fixed buttons[/b]. Got a dash with red illuminated gauges, change the button colors to match. Additionally, you can control the primary color of the on screen buttons and the text.[/quote]

I have been browsing this forum the past week because I am considering a AVIC Dx series. I wasn't sure if I should get a D2 now or wait for the D3. Because of the option above I am pretty much sold on the D3. Both vehicles I have have red dash lights and it absolutely drives me nuts having a red dash with a green aftermarket stereo with no option to change the color. Yeah it really sucks about the smaller screen and extra disc slot. But the screen isn't THAT much smaller and its not that big of a deal to me. And like others have stated I use my ipod and xm so much I haven't ejected the cd out of my stereo in months. So I think I'm gonna wait for the D3.
[url=http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2450&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0]http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0[/url]

[quote name="DataAve"]

I must have missed the post of how you got around it. Could you point me in the right direction/link? Thanks.[/quote]
I tried all that, nothing worked, but thanks. I am going with another brand. The BT is a must for me. It's like buying a computer with two memory slots, and then have them telling you there are issues with one slot and telling you to live with it. I have no need nor want for companies such as Pioneer. "It put a bad taste in my mouth and I will not eat at that restaurant any longer." I will never buy another Pioneer product again. I earn my money hard.
  • 4 weeks later...
Well it looks as if Pioneer's heading the cost cutting route for the consumer... which is good. They're taking away the 2nd DVD rom drive, making the screen smaller, and making the button layout more basic. They're already underbidding their competitors, and now they've taken it up a notch. Current new Avic-D2's are selling in the $700 -800s on ebay. I imagine these will be going for $500-6XX.

I can live with all the reductions above... I rarely listen to CD having Sirius.

But a couple things I'm concerned about:
1) In not having a motorized screen, does it tilt? Some vehicles have their radio low in their vehicles. The tilt is handy.

2) I wonder if Pioneer made it more difficult or impossible to bypass the parking brake?

my $0.02