AVIC411.com

My Review of 3.0

I have been running 3.0 on my F900BT for a few days nows. I am not going to say where I got it, and I'm not going to upload it (yet) because I believe there is another member who is working on that right now.

Pretty much it is a big disappointment. The speed from the CE update is great, but nothing else has been fixed that I can tell. To make this short:

-Dial-by-name still doesn't work unless your phonebook is pristine

-The unit still swtiches to the Map screen when a phone call is received. If you look at JasonH's "F series vs X series" thread, Pioneer actually claimed that this was fixed. It is not.

-The "auto" setting for map day/night colors is still controlled by the system time, despite the fact that the x-series manual says this settings is controlled by the orange illumination wire

-The TTS voices are exactly the same. Samantha still sounds like ass.

-Presets can be changed from the steering wheel control, but it often skips more than one at time so i end up just using the screen anyway. Today it actually just kept going, and going, and going, and I had to turn the car off to stop it

-TeleAtlas maps just suck, around here anyway. I can't wait till the ezrider is hacked so i can use the NAVTEQ maps which 8.3 supports. I have them on my PPC with iGo 8.3 and they are far better than the TeleAtlas maps.

Thats all i can think of for now. I will update as I use the unit more, but as i said I think it's going to be uploaded soon enough that you all can see for yourself. Just don't get your hopes up, because the only real part thats worth a shit is the part most of you have already done (the CE update)

I have been loving the full 3.0...

My phonebook is all First name Last name and name dialing has always worked fine.

Switching to the map screen, not sure about that one as I am always on the map screen and rarely take calls while driving.

I am glad that the Day/Night is not based on Illum wire... I usually run with fogs and parking lights on during the day because people are stupid and I like being as visible as possible... with those on the unit switches to the secondary brightness setting.

Samantha still sounds lame.

and big +1 on NAVTEQ as my unit tried to take me 3 miles out of the way to get to work today to avoid a 1 way road that never existed.

I still think it was a worthwhile update for the price I paid (lol)... and the ability to use NAVTEQ will be big.

I think my phonebook issue is related to having symbols in the phone number, e.g. (123) 555-1212, and probably punctuation in the names, e.g. My Client, Inc. I knew it was a problem with 2.0, but figured those dumbasses would've fixed it for 3.0. I'm really not eager to go through almost 300 contacts to fix all of that.

The switching to maps screen it's a big deal, just a stupid design, and the fact that they SAID it was fixed really pisses me off.

The illumination thing doesnt bother me that much either, as the screen dims enough with the lights on that I can leave the map on Day colors all the time and it doesnt bother me. It still would be nice though if we had that option...

I have an idea for getting a better TTS voice to work. If it works i'll let you know.

called and canceled my 3.0 order on Tuesday because i noticed that someone was able to hack the software. ever since i installed the new 3.0 (for freeee!!) and windows 5.0, i like the unit even more.... only because the response for button pressing has been greatly improved!!

cheers for the poster who posted the how-to for 3.0

My review:

- like the roadsign navigation

- don't like the number of infoboxes there should be at least 3 , better more.

- don't like the old maps(to think of, they are asking us to pay € 150 for maps, that aren't even the newest ones).

- don't like the fact that the bleutooth resets the unit, when you turn the bt-signal on or off, but i'm not sure this is new, because never did that before, only now, because the unit didn't find my phone at first.

for now, i liked the hybrid system with 3.0 firmware and igo8.0 better.

maybe i change my mind when some things get modded...when not, i change back..

how do u change the contacts to first name and then last name displayed? My contacts were copied onto the unit as last name first?

Inside the AVIC it's not possible, at least not in the released versions. The software put "last name" plus " first name" together and store it in one field in the database.

So far i see only 2 solutions:

- edit the phonebook database with SQL lite

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=25630&p=174726&hilit=sql#p174726

or

- sync your contacts to outlook and modify the given export script to build the database and store it in your AVIC

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=25308

Is no one experiancing unit buttons freeze on sd or usb? I will be playing songs and can't change to next song or It won't display what is playing after its to late or after the third song the first song is still displayed? Pressing volume control on steering wheel does nothing and after a while volume will go up by it self.

Is no one experiancing unit buttons freeze on sd or usb? I will be playing songs and can't change to next song or It won't display what is playing after its to late or after the third song the first song is still displayed? Pressing volume control on steering wheel does nothing and after a while volume will go up by it self.

Stop posting this everywhere. If you're having a problem, start a thread and explain what's going on. You've been posting this question incessantly in multiple people's threads, rather than letting them solve their issues and finding the right place for yours.

I am at a complete loss as to the problems everyone seems to be experiencing. I had a modded unit that worked well minus the slowness of the button presses and older maps and general slowness, but seriously the unit simply functioned. I updated to the new firmware via. Retells guide and it worked great, then I downloaded the X-Series 3.01 and installed that following Pioneers guide. It took a little longer than I expected for that update but it took w/o any problems. Now my button presses are quick, Navigation is solid, Bluetooth transfer from my phone is INFINITELY faster and more clear about what is going on, VR Catalogging of the iPod is smoother and faster for the massive library I carry. The worst I have had to do since upgrading is re-calibrate the screen as it seemed a little off.

I don't know what the heck everyone is fussing about or maybe I am just not nearly as picky as others that the maps must be so up-to date that roads that haven't been built yet don't show up. Or maybe it is that Pioneer was unable to read your mind and know that you put your phone book in firstname lastname and that your phone numbers are (xxx) xxx-xxxx. These are all so simple to fix if you take 5 min to do it but rather than fix it I keep reading 30min of gripes and complaints.

All of that said I think v3.0 brings this unit up to what should have been v1 or at the latest v2 not to mention that they are even continuing to support the unit at all. For now enjoy the fact when you press FM it isn't a 5second wait while it thinks about what you did.

For those that might want to know.. I have a F700BT, XM, HD Radio, iPod, Digital TV, Playstation, DVD and Sat. TV all jacked into it...