AVIC411.com

How Long Does Voice Catloging Normally Take?

Cool, I'll give it a try when I get home. Still, the artwork is way down on my list of things. Don't really mind much at all, esp. as I never enlarge the artwork.

Anyway, as far the dictionary, on top of taking forever, it doesn't remember my iPhone catalog when I plug back in later either. So the VR is pretty much useless for me right now. Hopefullt it's sorted out in an update.

You're not hooking up any other IPhone/IPod in between hooking up your IPhone?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cool, I'll give it a try when I get home. Still, the artwork is way down on my list of things. Don't really mind much at all, esp. as I never enlarge the artwork.

Anyway, as far the dictionary, on top of taking forever, it doesn't remember my iPhone catalog when I plug back in later either. So the VR is pretty much useless for me right now. Hopefullt it's sorted out in an update.

You're not hooking up any other IPhone/IPod in between hooking up your IPhone?

Nope. I let it run last night after I got home with my car parked for about 30-45 minutes, came down and it was all done. Tested some artist/album VR prompts and it worked fine.

This afternoon, went out to lunch, plugged in my phone, and the VR didn't recognize anything I said, exact same artists that came up last night. Didn't plug in any ipod or any other phone in between.

This pretty much happened after the first time I let it run, too.

Is there maybe a firmware update that is worth running on the Z110?

There are no updates for the 110. How many songs do you have on the phone.

~1,500.

So no update, eh? What is the ballpark release date for the new units they touted at CES? I'm assuming they'll have a pay update/upgrade for the Z110s with that software? Hopefully it's fixed in that?

About only other thing I'm thinking might be tripping it up is if I have maybe some song/artists with special characters or something? Could that be screwing it up? Still, not sure how that could cause it to forget the entire catalog after re-connecting ....

Also, I'm on the newest iPhone firmware 3.1.3, has anyone tried synching up with that firmware? Maybe that is an issue?

So is it the indexing that is the problem? Or just VR.... there is a bug for the VR ....

But if it's taking longer than a minute or so to update the IPod VR on startup, then you have something wrong with your IPhone...

Try syncing it with just a single bonified artist downloaded via Itunes... Uncheck the "include video" option in ITunes... and see if you can reproduce it...

That stupid "include video" option has given my grief with our BMW X5 before.... My IPhone worked perfect...But my wife's gave her sheet...

In all honesty, I don't think it's the unit's problem....

Well, did some experimenting tonight ...

First, to determine if the problem was some weird track/artist name, I stripped off almost everything on my iPhone except a couple pretty basic playlists.

That still didn't catalog my iPhone quickly.

Next, I took my older 5th gen video iPod, and dropped everything off that. I put on a few basic albums (different from what was on my iPhone). This worked fine, took about 30 seconds.

Then, I added to my iPod the same songs that didn't work on my iPhone. Worked fine on my iPod. Didn't read everything super quickly, took about 30 seconds, but it worked.

On top of that, I turned off my car, unplugged the iPod, turned off VR Catalog, and then started it up again and plugged in my iPod.

I was still able to do VR song/artist commands. (Unlike what I experience with my iPhone).

So the problem is clearly with the iPhone (FYI I have a 3G with 1.3.3).

When my girlfriend gets back in town I'm going to try to VR Catalog her phone, as I believe she still had 1.3.2. If that truly is the culprit I might have to figure out a way to dropdown to 1.3.2 again.

Alternately, I might just get a new 160 GB iPod and dump everything onto that and run my music off of that instead.

UPDATE: My neighbor actually has a 3G with 1.3.2 on it and I tried connecting it. No dice. Still didn't read the catalog. So I guess it's the combo the HU & iPhone.

Just so there is no confusion, he is referring to firmware 3.13 and 3.12 instead of 1.33 and 1.32. Anyway, certainly is strange this is not a common problem with a lot of iPhone folks. One more thing to try. Make sure your unit is booting to the map screen and you hit the OK button on the map screen before going to the iPod screen to do your catalog. There is a slim chance this could be related to the known VR bug previously discovered.

Yes, sorry I mean 3.1.3. Long day.

Anyway, last night I also dropped about 5K songs onto my iPod and this morning tried to connect it to see if it scanned the VR catalog in a reasonable amount of time; however, I let it sit for 5+ minutes and it didn't finish.

So at this point, I'm not sure what is at fault. I have to assume though it's more the unit.

Interesting side note, the iPod album art is not pixelated much at all and looks fine as a thumbnail.

Chalk the whole thing up to imperfect technology. Hopefully they get it right in an update ...

Uncheck the "include video" option in ITunes... and see if you can reproduce it...

That stupid "include video" option has given my grief with our BMW X5 before.... My IPhone worked perfect...But my wife's gave her sheet...

In all honesty, I don't think it's the unit's problem....

Interesting, I'm not familiar at all with the "include video" option? Is that a default in iTunes? Something weird I noticed when I synced my entire library to my Ipod and it didn't work (after working with a limited number of files) is that the Z110 had a live section for "video" and pretty much listed my entire music library as available "video". Even though it was just audio files.

So maybe that setting is messing something up. I'll try unticking it when I get home.

I wasn't at a machine that ITunes installed, to get the exact name of the option.... I try to keep ITunes off my computers as it likes to be the first thing to load up on boot, and is a horrible resource hog... My Mac doesn't seem to mind it though... as odd as that may be :lol:

Anyhoo... My wife downloaded an album that had included video content... Her X5 would not catalog her music either... I plugged my Iphone up and it would instantly update and worked perfect... It ended up being some fruity OneRepublic album that she downloaded, that had a bonus video within....I have no idea how I figured this out... But I first omitted it in the sync...it worked.... then I resynced and unchecked the video option, and viola....

post-11718-12872761491714_thumb.jpg

Very helpful DB, thanks. I try to avoid buying albums from iTunes, but there is a chance I bought something at some point that had videos, or maybe even just having that option active adds some layer of code that is effing things up.

(Funny I had the same experience as you; hated iTunes when I was using a PC, but oddly enough it's not a problem with a Mac. Funny how that works ... ;) )

I am having the same issue with my z110bt and my iPhone 3gs 3.1.3. DO NOT RELOAD THE IPHONE. This is just a waste of time and DOES NOT fix a darn thing. The problem is clearly with the z and it's lack of support of iPhones/iTouchs with the 3.0+ codebase. I have had nothing but disapointment as album art is low res. 35 min vr sync EVERY TIME I connect. I am just about ready to dump this unit. Works with iPhone should say works with iPhone with a year old os and not updated. To add insult to injury they are going to charge me for the update that may or may not come in the next 5 months!?

I am really regretting this purchase.

There are still a lot of people on this forum that use iphones with this unit that are not having this problem so I am not sure it is the unit. Also, they are going to charge you to upgrade your unit to the a new unit with a map upgrade. Its not just an update. This is no different to upgrading from Windows Vista to 7 or OS X 10.5 to 10.6

I'm on a IPhone 3GS JailBroke 3.1.2

I also have the latest gen 64GB IPod Touch running legit 3.1.2

I do not have these issues.... Have you tried all the suggestions yet? There is a known bug during startup, that VBlue has brought up...

I too do not believe that it's the unit at fault... at least not with the cataloging issue...