AVIC411.com

How Long Does Voice Catloging Normally Take?

So hooked up my iphone for the first time (I maybe have 12 GBs of music on it?) and it was taking 10+ minutes to do the voice catalog. And even then when it seemed done, it started up again. Didn't seem like it should take that long, or does it normally?

And does it keep running the updates even if nothing changed on the ipod/phone but you reconnect it?

I just turned it off as I couldn't access any ipod controls or run any voice commands on the unit.

Is it accurate/helpful to do the VR and should I just let it run once all the way through every time I do a major update to my phone, or is it not worth it?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So having the unit a week, this is far & away the biggest problem for me. I've kind of accepted that my unit is going to take 30+ minutes to run a dictionary VR catalog of my iPhone, but after letting it run one night after work and finish, it seems to have forgotten my catalog and I've had to run it again (this time with no success after 30+ minutes of driving.)

Does anyone have any tips/tricks that might help? Is there a certain sequence I might have to hook things up in in order for it to work quicker? I know I have to stay on the iPod Source and not change it, but that hasn't helped any.

Any help is appreciated, as when this is working it's actually a really helpful feature for me, but I fear my unit might just be buggy. Might have to wait it out for a software upgrade .... :(

Thanks.

I dont think it is an issue with the head unit. This is not a problem with people using iPods as opposed to iPhones. This also an issue with the iPhone and the Kenwood units. I believe this is an issue with the phone displaying the wrong image. Too me, it doesn't make sense that the unit would pick the right image with an iPod but not with the phone unless the issue is with the phone.

Could be right, might be an iPhone thing, but I left my iPod on for quite a bit of time and it just kept scanning. Haven't had any issues with the wrong artwork yet. Though the image files that come through are waaaaaaaaaay low res, not sure what is up with that, if it's a Pio or Apple thing. Either way don't care too much, but I mean these are like 2K images.

Like the original source of album artwork? From whatever is already embedded with the music file. I buy mostly from Amazon and Napster. And then from stuff I DL from music blogs, either what is already included with the file, or whatever iTunes matches up with it when I import it over into my library.

Cool, I'll give it a try when I get home. Still, the artwork is way down on my list of things. Don't really mind much at all, esp. as I never enlarge the artwork.

Anyway, as far the dictionary, on top of taking forever, it doesn't remember my iPhone catalog when I plug back in later either. So the VR is pretty much useless for me right now. Hopefullt it's sorted out in an update.