AVIC411.com

AppRadio Extensions 2.0 Beta - Full iPhone control

I'm fairly certain the touch input will work on iOS 6, though I haven't tried it yet. The problem is with receiving touch events from the radio while unsupported apps are running. To get around this on iOS 5, I utilized the code for Backgrounder to keep the AppRadio app running when launching other apps. Since the app was still running, the radio kept sending touch events to it which could then be forwarded to the iPhone screen. iOS 6 completely changed how apps are run (as far as I can tell) so Backgrounder no longer works. Apple basically removed SBDisplayStack and now use a class called SBWorkspace to handle running applications. The goal is to figure out how to keep an app running when it is not active on the screen so we can keep receiving touch events from the radio.

Another possibly would be to gain access to the Pioneer API so we could connect to the radio directly, but I don't see that happening. For now we have to stick to hijacking supported applications.

I still plan on getting the source code out there but life has been a bit busy lately. So much to do, so little time.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the detailed info... let me chew on that for awhile.

Speaking of the Pioneer API though, i was seriously considering doing the Pioneer Hackathon this year just so that I could see how they implement their framework and get a peek at their APIs. I can't believe anyone with a good idea can just walk into a Vegas convention center and get access to their APIs. I watched the videos of the winners and there is no way in HELL the winners could have implemented a full working versions of their apps in 4 days or whatever the time frame they were given to do it in. Makes me wonder what the criteria for a winning entry is... must be just the idea. Still, if it means getting a view of their API or even a copy of it, i might just do it.

In any case, i wish they would just open up their APIs to the community. Right now, i'm guessing they would have hundreds if not thousands of apps written for AR instead of the 20 or so that is available if they went that route. In guessing why they decided to keep things closed and wanting to work with only a select few app companies, my thought is that writing apps for a car is not the same thing as writing apps for a phone.

Judging by just by how many times you have to click OK to get past all the liability disclaimers, it seems they are very intentional/careful/paranoid/scared of what kind of apps make it into AR. They don't want any joe blow to put their racing game app into AR and possibly increase their risk of litigation if something serious happens out on the roads due to driver distractions.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, will the app extender work on an iPhone 4S that has been downgraded from 6.0.1 to 5.1.1? Any HU firmware requirements? Can you post a link of where to get all of the software required? The last time I jail broke an iPhone I used RedSn0w and it royally f'd up my phone so I'm a little paranoid about doing this, but I want want it so badly that I'm going to take a risk.

first of all thankx Mr. decaro

You are the reason that i jailbroke my iphone to use your amazing extension.

Now everything is succesfully installed. I read this topic two times from 1 to 43 didnt want to wast your time but still find no answer.

The problem i have is that the radio is slow with the swipping and reaction.

I see on the first page the problem not solved and i read some others with the same questions.

Do you have an update/advice on this matter with the iphone 4 iOS 5.1.0 semitethered AR1 firmware 2.63 appradio 1.8.2 appext 2.0.1-1.

i see some great videos where it works very smooth i want that also

i will be thankfull with a donation before this tread changing to the iOS 6 matter.

again thankx mikedecaro

Mike, will the app extender work on an iPhone 4S that has been downgraded from 6.0.1 to 5.1.1? Any HU firmware requirements?

It will work on the 4S as long as it's running iOS 5.x. I tested everything with the latest firmware on the head unit.

The problem i have is that the radio is slow with the swipping and reaction.

I see on the first page the problem not solved and i read some others with the same questions.

Do you have an update/advice on this matter with the iphone 4 iOS 5.1.0 semitethered AR1 firmware 2.63 appradio 1.8.2 appext 2.0.1-1.

I'm not sure why the iPhone 4 runs slow sometimes. I had mixed results when I tested with it. It could be an incompatibility with another tweak or maybe AppEx is just using a lot of CPU when mirroring. I'll see what I can do once I get everything ported over to iOS 6.

Help Help Help

I upgraded, stupidly to 2.0 and then realised it didn't work so deleted it and downloaded the file above to return to 1.8.2 but cant sync it in itunes as it says i am not authorised to use that app. cant see how to get it back ?

You have install appsync for syncronise all app ?

Thank for your reply Mike.

I found out that i have to uninstall pioneer radio before too install app extension.

It works still slow but beter than before.

Anyway if you can make it faster than i just wait before i change my phone.

by the way Im sure the app extension take alot CPU because i dont have something els installed behave cydia

take your time too build something good.

Good luck

• RonS locked this topic