Upgrading a X920/X930 to X940 Instructions

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi guys,

I am new to the community but there is a lot of great stuff on this site. I tried upgrading my Pioneer AVIC-X930BT US model navigation system @ 3.00.00 firmware and it has not gone well. Currently my system is only booting to the Pioneer home screen and music off of my CD is playing but it will not load to the GPS. Unfortunately I did not back up my files before attempting this upgrade.

First, I was wondering if anyone has a back up of the User files for this system that they can possibly upload or direct me to a link whereby I can download the files and get my system running again. Also if I am able to get my hands on a back up copy, how do I go about loading the back up files to my system to bring it back to a working state - wish I had a option to select restore to factory settings but since my system is not allowing me into the unit and it is stuck on the home page I guess that is out of the question.

When trying to do this upgrade, I downloaded Condi's RenewallFLip-AutoReplacer 2.1 program and loaded it to the root of a Kingston 8 GB Micro SD card along with an edited RenewallFLib.dll that was posted on the forum. When I put the memory card into the unit it loaded up successfully and a back up file was written to the SD card and the testmode key was deleted.

I then had another Kingston 8GB card whereby I loaded Z140 firmware update to however when I tried extracting to the SD card directly using Winrar it encountered problems. As a result, I extracted the files to the hard drive of my computer directly with no issue. I reformatted the SD card with FAT32. I copied each file individually from the update - CardINFO, a Firmware folder, and an Update folder - on to the memory card without any errors or issue.

After the RenewallFLip-AutoReplacer 2.1 program successfully did its thing the system reboot after 5 seconds and the Pioneer screen reloaded and then music from my CD started playing but the unit will not load past the home page. I turned the engine off and placed the other Micro SD card with the Z140 firmware update and then started up the car again but the Pioneer screen came back on and the music began playing again but the unti did not begin updating.

I repeated the above mentioned steps again but this time I loaded an older version of the CardINFO onto the memory card but I had no success.

If anyone can help me get this unit up and running that will be greatly appreciated because I'm starting to panic a bit or if someone lives in the Toronto, Ontario region and wants to help me perform the upgrade I will bring the beer lol. Really I would like to get the unit in a working state again.

If someone has a back up of the files for a unit that they are willing to share and can tell me how to load those files back to they system so I can get everything working again that would be greatly appreciated. It would be even better if someone can tell me what I am doing wrong and what I need to do to get the update working that would be even better.

On a side not I have purchased four 8GB Kingston Micro SD cards and tried the above mentioned process on a few occassions and I have downloaded the Z140 firmware update twice.

I look forward to hearing back from people with their input and advice. Thanks.

ricktnt, from reading your post it sounds like your issue started after using Condi's RenewallFLib-AutoReplacer 2.1, and you did not even get to the pioneer update part?

I dont think this is a problem with the actual pioneer update - would suggest discussing in the Condi's RenewallFLip-AutoReplacer 2.1 forum

Thanks for the response pionara. Will definitely start up a discussion in the Condi's RenewallFLip-AutoReplacer 2.1 forum. Before I do so, I just wanted to get some opinions on the next steps that I should take. I was wondering if I should attempt manually replacing the edited RenewallFLib.dll in test mode to see if that makes a difference or do you think it is wise to attempt reloading the original files to the AVIC unit providing I get my hands on the back up files

i looked at condi's autoreplacer script - i dont see what could cause your issue, unless you used a renewaliflib.dll from a completely different version than what is running on your system.

The question is - which renewaliflib.dll did you get? Was it from 3.x version?

as far as restoring: If you look on the sdcard you used, the replacer script shoudl have made a backup of your dlls. You can use the same replacer script to reinstate the original dlls.

Try it. If that works, then you will want to manually hex edit those using the method i outlined in my post (not this thread, and after saving a backup copy of the originals), and deploy to unit using autoreplacer script.

You know what pionara I have been reading so many posts under different topics that I am not sure which thread I downloaded the renewaliflib.dll from. Do you think this may be causing my issue. Want to know where I can find the proper renewaliflib.dll for a 3.x version because I am scared that I have compromised the integrity of my original renewaliflib.dll by replacing it with one that is not intended for the 3.x version

the autoreplacer script should have made a backup of your original dlls:

SD\RenewalIFLib_prg0_bckp.dll

SD\RenewalIFLib_prg1_bckp.dll

Do you have those files on the SD card? If so, what are the date and sizes of them? If there is only one, then:

- put a copy of it somewhere safe

- copy it to RenewalIFLib.dll on the sd card

- use the autoreplacer to redeploy that back to the unit

Let us know if that fixed it.

the autoreplacer script should have made a backup of your original dlls:

SD\RenewalIFLib_prg0_bckp.dll

SD\RenewalIFLib_prg1_bckp.dll

Do you have those files on the SD card? If so, what are the date and sizes of them? If there is only one, then:

- put a copy of it somewhere safe

- copy it to RenewalIFLib.dll on the sd card

- use the autoreplacer to redeploy that back to the unit

Let us know if that fixed it.

First off, thanks pionara for trying to help me out. I really appreciate it. I remember there were two back up files that were saved on the SD card after running Condi's RenewallFLip-AutoReplacer 2.1 and I saved them on my external hard drive. After work I will post the date and size of them. I have used Condi's RenewallFLip-AutoReplacer 2.1 a few times on my unit but I only saved the back up files once so I am not sure if they are the original.....is there any way of me checking/knowing if this is the original files.

If these are the original files, do I then save both - RenewalIFLib_prg0_bckp.dll and RenewalIFLib_prg1_bckp.dll and Condi's RenewallFLip-AutoReplacer 2.1 to the root of the SD card and run the program again? Once that is done do I have to take a copy of the same files and edit them - Use a hex editor to change the offset at 1C30 from 05 00 A0 E1 to 00 00 A0 E3 - resave on the SD card and run Condi's program again?

Sorry, my mind is racing. Should probably slow down and take this one step at a time.

Sorry, my mind is racing. Should probably slow down and take this one step at a time.

^----- yes, this one. it is step 1, hehe.

You will be fine. your unit is recoverable. Just dont start doing a bunch of random things to it as some folks have done in a panic making things worse.

Worst case you can probably use the one from the 3.01 update on pioneers website for your unit. Regardless, if you use this one or your backup - first get your unit to a working state, then worry about modding/replacing the dll.

So I loaded the RenewalIFLib from Pioneer's official 3.01 update to the root on an SD card along with Condi's RenewallFLip-AutoReplacer 2.1 and it loaded successfully. After I restarted the car the unit went back to the Pioneer home screen and it would not load past that page.

There was only one RenewallFLb file that I loaded onto the SD card - not sure if that is an issue.

Apparently I am missing the AV.exe file as well. I decided to load both the AV.exe file and the RenewalIFLib from the 3.01 update onto and SD card along with test key. When in test mode I was successfully able to go into the root of the SD card and copy the two files but when I go into the PRO1folder in the root of the AVIC, the paste function is greyed out - I can't select it to paste these files manually.

Any suggestions on what I may be doing incorrectly. Don't know how to enable the paste function to paste files directly into the PRO1 folder located directly in the root of the AVIC