AVIC411.com

Pioneer just tweeted about carplay

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just curious, how does app radio work with android phones. I don't see much talk about android users experience. I do use app radio, but not as much as i would if it was more reliable.

How well it functions is unknown to me, but how it functions is nearly identical to the interface for iPhones with lightning connectors.

Any supported phone has to have some way to transmit hdmi video/audio and have a Bluetooth connection to the radio. Bluetooth handles the metadata and touch screen operation while the hdmi handles all media output. For some reason the device in question has to be supported by pioneer to work with the radio. Why, I don't know. This is why the newest phones like the galaxy s5 are not yet supported.

I like the idea of both CarPlay and Android Auto for the reason that they essentially turn the head units into dumb terminals, which, quite frankly, makes the most sense, since what you want is a solid computing platform that can run the apps you need and manage their interoperability, making for a smooth(ish?) user experience.

That next gen units like pioneer's nex have strong feature sets outside of CarPlay and Android Auto is just a nice bonus.

I like the idea of both CarPlay and Android Auto for the reason that they essentially turn the head units into dumb terminals, which, quite frankly, makes the most sense, since what you want is a solid computing platform that can run the apps you need and manage their interoperability, making for a smooth(ish?) user experience.

That next gen units like pioneer's nex have strong feature sets outside of CarPlay and Android Auto is just a nice bonus.

Well in theory this was the idea behind Appradio, and I believe pioneer could have made it work if they had put in more effort to quality control. Now Carplay will take its place.

I'm new here but I'm one of the AppRadio haters. What's your system?

Patience, really, I wait for the radio to fully startup before plugging in. I also start Waze and let it get going before I plugin. Finally, I ignore the radio's request to open the appradio app when I do plug in the phone (prob should just uninstall). I, honestly, see no use in using appradio and probably would be happier without all the waiting etc, but it isn't bad enough for me to hate it -- ultimately, it does what it's supposed to, albeit very slowly. Heck, if there's never a Waze app on Carplay, I'll probably still use Appradio. I feel compelled to have Waze open to upload the data and rec'v alerts etc. and love it on the radio screen. Maybe I just hate traffic jams more than Appradio?!

Heck, if there's never a Waze app on Carplay, I'll probably still use Appradio. I feel compelled to have Waze open to upload the data and rec'v alerts etc. and love it on the radio screen. Maybe I just hate traffic jams more than Appra

Keep in mind that once Car Play arrives you likely aren't going to be able to use both CP and AM. Differences in interfaces will force you to choose. Although I would certainly like to have Waze and Car Play, I will not be wasting my time with AM once CP arrives and finally allows the experience we were allways suppose to have with AM in the first place.

I think that once CarPlay has gone through its teething phase, they'll start qualifying more 3rd-party apps like Waze, Pandora, rdio, etcetera -- pretty much anything that's currently available for iOS could be qualified, assuming it makes sense within the context of CarPlay...that it meets with CarPlay's objectives (maximized in-car efficiency and safety).

I certainly hope Waze comes to CP. I messaged them on thier FB page and they said there are currently no plans to bring Waze to CP. A standard response of course.

A standard response, certainly. Note that the person or persons responsible for managing a particular product or service's Facebook page or twitter feed, official or not, is usually one of the last to actually know anything. Their job is to "make noise." :)

I certainly hope Waze comes to CP. I messaged them on thier FB page and they said there are currently no plans to bring Waze to CP. A standard response of course.

For Waze to answer any differently, there has to be APIs for them to integrate into CarPlay. Right now, there isn't, nor is there anything in iOS 8. Anything beyond music is on Apple to provide an API at this point.

It's a little worrying that they haven't announced any sort of CarPlay API yet, since 2014's WWDC has already come and gone.  There's a reasonable chance that the earliest they would release one is next year.

I just hope that CarPlay doesn't turn into the AppleTV—a ridiculous amount of potential hampered by holding back too long.  I'm still waiting for 3rd-party apps for the ATV, and the current design (the puck) has been out for almost 4 years.  I think that there's a lot of similarity between ATV and CarPlay.

• They are both highly specialized interfaces, with limited (specialized) input.
  • Both can be used as a sort of projected head-end for an iPhone
  • Both are (currently) built using applications almost exclusively designed by Apple
  • Both are key components in further integrating our digital lives

With any luck, the last point doesn't end up being "Both are unavailble to 3rd party devs".  Time will tell, that's for sure  :-)

It will be some time. I think probably about a year. Apple first has to feel comfortable with allowing car apps that just do simple music to not distract drivers before they allow complex mapping or other apps to go on the screen.