AVIC411.com

Got an answer that actually makes sense about CarPlay

Apple doesn't give this type of information to low level employees. That much is fact.

Just like if you call up pioneer and talk to a phone rep they wont have any solid information about carplay or avicsync. Anything these representatives say will be unofficial and unsubstantiated.

That's why people are waiting for an official response. Once an official response is available, it will be plastered on every tech site as a headline.

Go on apple support chat or call in to ask about carplay. I bet if you talk to 5 different people you will get 5 vastly different responses.

This

No one disagrees with the point that customer service reps do not speak with authority on the state of product development. The OP used what the rep said to piece together the most plausible reason for the delay. The lack of any of the third-party apps being updated to support CarPlay at this time solidifies the OP's reasoning. The OP did not merely say that it had to be true solely because that's what the customer service person said.

But your response seems to imply that the reason for the delay has to be something OTHER than what the rep said just because it was a customer service person who said it. Just because the rep said it was a delay in third-party dev tools does not automatically mean that that cannot be the actual reason. Couldn't it both be possible that the Apple rep has no special inside info AND that the supposition for the delay might also be accurate?

Now, if only there was some customer service rep who could authoritatively explain why I am defending DP3343's theory so vociferously?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really. No higher up at Apple is going to disclose any NDA and let that info leak to a random rep. There have been many issues leaked to the press from Apple and verified from various sources. These include updates to Maps in both iOS 7 and the latest beta of iOS 8. While Carplay does function in iOS 7 it does not appear that Apple wants to release that version to the public. 

Taking some extra time to tweak or get more 3rd Party apps is certainly understandable. Ultimately, the release will be given a big announcement and a date for all manufacturers. 

I didn't mean to imply anything like that. Just that its pure conjecture on the reps part. While its a plausible answer, there is no way to say that is the definitive reason. I think there is a much more straightforward reason why it's being "delayed" (no official release date that I have ever been aware of). They want to release it to great fanfare.

Carplay has been talked about since 2013 when apple was calling it "iOS in the car" @ WWDC before it was officially rebranded as "Carplay" around March/April of 2014 @ the Geneva Auto Show, if I'm not mistaken.

Carplay is intended for the Apple masses. It is meant to basically integrate iOS into another facet of your regular average consumers life. If I am cynical about the reason for this move I would say on some level it is intended to prevent people in the iOS ecosystem from easily moving to Android. We are talking about the soccer moms, grandparents, and less tech savy people. 

I think after flops like aTV and Apple Maps, they are going to want to have Carplay ready for primetime because they have seen that no matter how large their influence and how devout their following is they can still fail miserably. The best way to do that is to hold off until it is fully polished and ready for consumer use (or as much as it can be). Not rush it to market because a third party released a handful of devices that promise functionality. I mean why hasn't Alpine/JVC/Kenwood even announced a line of Carplay stuff. Sure they have said they will make them but they haven't shown any hardware yet. No reason to rush if Apple isn't even ready to release it into the wild.

Go around to other forums and see what people are anticipating from Apple. Ask someone on the street what they are most excited to hear about at the September media event. They are going to say iPhone 6, maybe even iOS 8.

Carplay won't be on the average persons radar.

The whole world will be watching the September event waiting for the announcement of the iPhone 6 and iOS 8. It just seems to keep with apples M.O. to release big things like this on the biggest stage possible, not just push it out into the world and let people stumble upon it. 

Apple is in no rush to release Carplay (just look at how long its been in the works). They want to infrastructure to be there so it forces people to use it and love it. Us pioneer NEX users, as I have said in other threads, are a tiny minority. If Carplay gets a mention at the event, which I fully expect it will, there will be a handful of 3rd party app developers on hand to talk about their apps integration into Carplay. Many others will be mentioned as "carplay ready". I would also expect a handful of automakers to be on hand at the event as well who might even talk about how they are building Carplay into their newest lineups, but that could be a stretch. 

I don't mean to be negative, I'm just tired of seeing "explanations" and "reasons" for delay on the forums here. Especially when they go against the Apple ethos. All of us on the forum should be old enough to drive, we should be old enough to delay gratification. But I guess that goes against our human nature, especially us American's.

I didn't mean to imply anything like that. Just that its pure conjecture on the reps part. While its a plausible answer, there is no way to say that is the definitive reason. I think there is a much more straightforward reason why it's being "delayed" (no official release date that I have ever been aware of). They want to release it to great fanfare.

Carplay has been talked about since 2013 when apple was calling it "iOS in the car" @ WWDC before it was officially rebranded as "Carplay" around March/April of 2014 @ the Geneva Auto Show, if I'm not mistaken.

Carplay is intended for the Apple masses. It is meant to basically integrate iOS into another facet of your regular average consumers life. If I am cynical about the reason for this move I would say on some level it is intended to prevent people in the iOS ecosystem from easily moving to Android. We are talking about the soccer moms, grandparents, and less tech savy people. 

I think after flops like aTV and Apple Maps, they are going to want to have Carplay ready for primetime because they have seen that no matter how large their influence and how devout their following is they can still fail miserably. The best way to do that is to hold off until it is fully polished and ready for consumer use (or as much as it can be). Not rush it to market because a third party released a handful of devices that promise functionality. I mean why hasn't Alpine/JVC/Kenwood even announced a line of Carplay stuff. Sure they have said they will make them but they haven't shown any hardware yet. No reason to rush if Apple isn't even ready to release it into the wild.

Go around to other forums and see what people are anticipating from Apple. Ask someone on the street what they are most excited to hear about at the September media event. They are going to say iPhone 6, maybe even iOS 8.

Carplay won't be on the average persons radar.

The whole world will be watching the September event waiting for the announcement of the iPhone 6 and iOS 8. It just seems to keep with apples M.O. to release big things like this on the biggest stage possible, not just push it out into the world and let people stumble upon it. 

Apple is in no rush to release Carplay (just look at how long its been in the works). They want to infrastructure to be there so it forces people to use it and love it. Us pioneer NEX users, as I have said in other threads, are a tiny minority. If Carplay gets a mention at the event, which I fully expect it will, there will be a handful of 3rd party app developers on hand to talk about their apps integration into Carplay. Many others will be mentioned as "carplay ready". I would also expect a handful of automakers to be on hand at the event as well who might even talk about how they are building Carplay into their newest lineups, but that could be a stretch. 

I don't mean to be negative, I'm just tired of seeing "explanations" and "reasons" for delay on the forums here. Especially when they go against the Apple ethos. All of us on the forum should be old enough to drive, we should be old enough to delay gratification. But I guess that goes against our human nature, especially us American's."

I stopped reading at the bolded part.

Please tell me how Apple TV is a flop when it's making a billion dollars a year now...

When was the last update for apple TV hardware?

Just because Tim Cook told investors "its not a hobby anymore" doesn't mean it's as big as they thought it would be. That $1billion figure also was referring to content purchases through apple TV as well as hardware. Apple also gave customers who bought an apple TV a $25 giftcard for purchasing content...

This is coming from someone who has multiple apple TVs.

edit: I also should mention that I meant a flop in terms of Apple's overall sales/ adoption rate. 

If that $1billion was referring to hardware sales alone, that equals ~10million units sold. In 2013 (when that figure was from) there were around ~120million households in the US. That means there was less than .01% adoption rate in the US and those figures are worldwide. 

iOS is something like 38% usage in the entire world in 2013. 

$1billion out of $171billion isn't very much.

If that $1billion was referring to hardware sales alone, that equals ~10million units sold. In 2013 (when that figure was from) there were around ~120million households in the US. That means there was less than .01% adoption rate in the US and those figures are worldwide.

I'm confused (not unusual) about the math here.  Are you saying that ~10million is .01% of 120million?  By my math that's a little over 8% which seems pretty decent.  Maybe you were referring to something else?

HA! You are correct, thats a bit over 8% in the US using the numbers I provided.  

My post makes no sense as I read it now. The math I did was using the 1.4 billion households with a TV world wide figure and the possible 10 million units sold. I took some liberty with the .01%.

So basically, still Summer 2014.

At this point as long as I one day get it, I'll be happy. The way this is going I am practically scared they'll cancel the whole thing.

Plus 5 days after Carplay is out not a one of us will care anymore about how long it took to get here.

Anyone have an idea that once the firmware is finally released if our bypass will stop working?

We know absolutely nothing about this update besides that it is supposed to bring carplay. Pioneer has made no other mention of what the update might include.

It may be as simple as the 8.30 update for the Appradio 2 that added iPhone 5 support but fixed zero bugs and changed nothing else in the system. That update was so minor that pioneer actually told users that if they did not have an iPhone 5 that the update was utterly unnecessary for them.

On the other hand it could be a comprehensive update with bug fixes, new features that aren't carplay, like full idatalink support or better media mixing capabilities (letting you play off of bluetooth when an iPod is plugged in via USB for example).

However as of today we know nothing. We know an update is coming before summer ends on September 22nd (hopefully) that will include full carplay support. Past that we got nothing.

• 1 month later...