AVIC411.com

any news on an update for the Z1

I think the rumor is that Pioneer is going to release the Z2 update (which is mainly a map update) for the Z1. The rumor is that it will be $250 and only able to be done at an authorized dealer. I have heard dates around end of April.

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2501

I think there are other threads as well. So far nothing concrete but that's the rumor. But most of this is all speculation.

fcapizzo, if what you were saying was that you know it's not out yet but is there a list of locations which are "approved" which would most likely have it when it does come out? I don't know of any. And until it does come out, we won't know what shops would even have or want to do such a thing. Also the whole update only at a pioneer dealer is still rumor and speculation. That's what the buzz is, but no one but pioneer employees know for sure.

Makes perfect sense to me. Then there wont be thousands of people making copies of them, and hundreds actually making a profit off pirating by selling them on ebay. A backup copy is one thing, making copies for the entire world is another. Plus, by making people go to the dealer, Pioneer won't have to deal with the idiot that tries to do the update without a battery charger and it dies half-way through. It does take 3-4 hours. There are lots of morons out there

I got into an argument over T about this. I say we should wait and see as well. It doesnt really make any sense to me why we would have to go to a dealer to insert some dvds and type in the code to their online website.
Makes perfect sense to me. Then there wont be thousands of people making copies of them, and hundreds actually making a profit off pirating by selling them on ebay. A backup copy is one thing, making copies for the entire world is another. Plus, by making people go to the dealer, Pioneer won't have to deal with the idiot that tries to do the update without a battery charger and it dies half-way through. It does take 3-4 hours. There are lots of morons out there

I got into an argument over T about this. I say we should wait and see as well. It doesnt really make any sense to me why we would have to go to a dealer to insert some dvds and type in the code to their online website.

I agree with coocho. After all, we did pay a good amount for the hardware... at least I did, and after plopping down over a thousand for an in-dash GPS unit, I'd like to think that we're entitled to some benefits, like "free" updates, or at least a downloadable update. I've even invested in accessories like XM/Navtraffic receiver, Sirius receiver, ipod adapter, Bluetooth adapter... how much more money do I have to keep investing into this unit? The features of the Z2 software do seem very appealing, but is it worth $250 just to pop in a CD? I think I'll wait and see if a "backup copy" starts to float around on the Internet and save myself the time to drive to a dealer, spend $250, and waste 3-4 hours of my day.

On a related topic, is there an "update" that adds maps for Europe? I am going to be moving to Germany this winter and I will probably be taking my Mustang, (fun on the Autobahn). But last time I checked, I don't have any sort of map coverage...

On another note, will the Z2 update remove the Z1 bypass?

probably go buy another navigation unit

and yes it will remove the bypass to the new Z2

On a related topic, is there an "update" that adds maps for Europe? I am going to be moving to Germany this winter and I will probably be taking my Mustang, (fun on the Autobahn). But last time I checked, I don't have any sort of map coverage...

On another note, will the Z2 update remove the Z1 bypass?

Probably? I reject that. Pioneer makes units for Europe just like for every place else. It is a software issue, not a hardware issue. Buying a new unit should not be a factor.

And I didn't ask about bypassing a Z2, I asked if the update deleted the Z1 bypass.

PLEASE don't post a suposition... I am looking for actual knowledge, not belief...

I am pretty sure you misunderstood, but I said the new software update will update it to new Z2 bypass. And please, coocho, dont post your repetitive newbie posts with topics that have been talked to death.

Yes, I know pioneer makes maps for the other units, but considering it is hard drive based, I doubt you can just stick in new europe dvds and everything will be fine. There have already been plenty of posts on this.