AVIC411.com

Cancelling D3 for Kenwood DNX7100

Last week I ordered a D3 from CF on the advice of the salesman. I was really ignorant of the in-dash DVD/Navigation world at that time. Since I just learned yesterday it will be another 3 weeks until I will possibly receive the unit, I have since questioned my purchase for something else that might be in stock. Not only the ship date, but the MAJOR factor is the fact the D3 does not have dual zones. I would really like to play MP3's or XM up front, while the kiddie's watch a movie on their wireless headphones on headrest monitors in the back. The free camera offer with the D3 was a killer deal, but the fact the D3 was not dual zone capable was a deal breaker for me. The D3 is a great product and I'm still questioning my decision, as I have not called CF to change my order yet. The other factors I considered are the Garmin GPS from 2GB HD as opposed to the DVD disc on the D3. I can simply update the Garmin maps for $75 instead of the $250 for the Pioneer discs. The SD option for the USB cable gets big bonus points with me.

I'm really torn, but the more I think about it....I think the Kenwood suits my needs better. I'm not flaming the D3 by any means. I thought I would bring these points to light in case anyone else is in the same boat I am in.

This is a great forum, by great people with great info. Special thanks to cntrylvr79 and MisFit.

On a side note, before anyone asks....yes (from what I have gathered through web research) the Kenwood DNX7100 can be by-passed. Easier than the D3 actually. All you have to do (again, according to the web research) is just ground the e-brake wire. That's it. cnrtylvr79 or MisFit, can you confirm this?

I hope this info helps someone.

I plan on calling CF at 08:00 and canceling the D3 and ordering the DNX7100 with UPS Next Day Air. Hopefully I will have everything and can install on my days off on Fri/Sat. If anyone would like pics, let me know.

Eric

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've sent my D3 back today and am looking to getting a KVT-819DVD single din DVD.

I prefer the single din over the double due to it being a bit less attractive to thieves checking out cars quickly. I'll probably pick up the navigation unit in the near future, so $1,100 + $450-750 for the nav comes out to $1,550-$1,850 :shock::shock: ....

I reason with myself that the hideaway unit will be easier to attach things to view, ie. PS2, Camcorder to review footage, etc.

My only gripe is that the screen control button no longer contains the angle controls...I hope kenwood address this with a firmware update.

Anyway, the D3 is a GREAT unit if it suits your needs. If I used more retail dvds rather than burned, it would probably be still installed.

I would be interested in some pics. I bought a Pioneer AVH-P6800DVD for $699 and Ipod adaptor ($49 more) from the BX here in Germany. It's still in the box, sitting on the table. I have always been partial to Kenwood and understand they are more "user friendly" with the Ipods. I didn't go the navigation route as I use a portable Garmin (Nuvi 660) for the European area. The BX has the Kenwood DDX-6019, which is an "old" model and selling for $899, but that's not a deal to me.

Any advice/guidance?

The ipod control on the "older" kenwoods was not good. The D3s ipod control is far better than the 6800 and cheaper than the kenwood so if ipod is important, you might look that route. On a side note, Pioneer discontinued the 6800 already so maybe they have something new coming out next CES for the non-navigation crowd

I would be interested in some pics. I bought a Pioneer AVH-P6800DVD for $699 and Ipod adaptor ($49 more) from the BX here in Germany. It's still in the box, sitting on the table. I have always been partial to Kenwood and understand they are more "user friendly" with the Ipods. I didn't go the navigation route as I use a portable Garmin (Nuvi 660) for the European area. The BX has the Kenwood DDX-6019, which is an "old" model and selling for $899, but that's not a deal to me.

Any advice/guidance?

I looked at bot the 7100 and the D3 and was able to listen and use them beofre making a decision. In my opinion the D3 is way better. The sound qualit seemed superior on the D3. The D3 navigation has twice the points of interest. The Navigation maps look way better on the D3 as the 7100 looked like a cartoon or something. The overall user interface is also better on the D3. The only thing I would say that the 7100 was better at was speed of IPOD control but it was not by much and not enough of a reason for me to go with the 7100.

I do like the D3, but the navigation won't do me a bit of good over here. I do like the fact the D3 has good Ipod controls - the easier the better.

I'll install the 6800 (I think Pioneer has a 6900 out now) and see how it works.

The D3 can only accept one disc?

Last week I ordered a D3 from CF on the advice of the salesman. I was really ignorant of the in-dash DVD/Navigation world at that time. Since I just learned yesterday it will be another 3 weeks until I will possibly receive the unit, I have since questioned my purchase for something else that might be in stock. Not only the ship date, but the MAJOR factor is the fact the D3 does not have dual zones. I would really like to play MP3's or XM up front, while the kiddie's watch a movie on their wireless headphones on headrest monitors in the back. The free camera offer with the D3 was a killer deal, but the fact the D3 was not dual zone capable was a deal breaker for me. The D3 is a great product and I'm still questioning my decision, as I have not called CF to change my order yet. The other factors I considered are the Garmin GPS from 2GB HD as opposed to the DVD disc on the D3. I can simply update the Garmin maps for $75 instead of the $250 for the Pioneer discs. The SD option for the USB cable gets big bonus points with me.

I'm really torn, but the more I think about it....I think the Kenwood suits my needs better. I'm not flaming the D3 by any means. I thought I would bring these points to light in case anyone else is in the same boat I am in.

This is a great forum, by great people with great info. Special thanks to cntrylvr79 and MisFit.

On a side note, before anyone asks....yes (from what I have gathered through web research) the Kenwood DNX7100 can be by-passed. Easier than the D3 actually. All you have to do (again, according to the web research) is just ground the e-brake wire. That's it. cnrtylvr79 or MisFit, can you confirm this?

I hope this info helps someone.

I plan on calling CF at 08:00 and canceling the D3 and ordering the DNX7100 with UPS Next Day Air. Hopefully I will have everything and can install on my days off on Fri/Sat. If anyone would like pics, let me know.

Eric

I would say that sience you still may have some time before your item ships, id think about it somemore. If dual zone is the biggest reason for the decision then i would say go with the 7100. But you should ask your self how much your actually going to use that feature. Will this be important in a few years after the kids get a little older? How well will the 7100 hold up over time? It has more moving parts. What is the quality of sound, I personally have always favored Pioneer on this one and the sound of the D3 is awsome. If the nav functions are the biggest reason why you even purchased then i think the answer should be clear, the D3 seems the choice withs it better nav and POI'S.

Just my 2 cents.

my D3 plays burnt/copied DVD without an issue

I wasn't playing just copied/burnt dvds. I was "trying" to play mpeg and xvid file formats. The new 2007 kenwoods play both so I just need to find a local dealer with a 2007 in stock to verify the divx part. The pioneer requires you to modify the aVic.exe output from divx to DX50..which is a pain to do for ALL my files after having to convert them to .avi from mpg.

I am also debating between the two. There are a few more things to consider:

Kenwood:

Less POI, however, they are based on the same data as the nuvi 660, and that is rated amazing for both navigation and POI database, not to mention you can create and add you own POI.

POI by distance, no need for vicinity, or city search

Traffic, Kendwood uses the RDSand TFT (i think thats how its spelled) traffic which is what the Garmins use, I think its only $40 a year as apposed to $10/month XM. Not to mention navtraffc and RDS use the navteq data, which is what garmin and the kenwood use for navigation. So surely traffic compatablility will be better, more accurate.

better faster ipod, also does video ipod lists, file lists,

USB, kenwood has usb, you can use thumb drives and portable hardrives.

I know some where buying that avx thing off newegg to have a hardrive, but then you need a separate remote control, etc. Here the hardrive would be controlled through head unit.

kenwood navigation may look cartoon like, and pioneer surely has more detail, however pioneer navigation doesn't compare to the latest garmin. We know the D3 doesn't compare to the nuvi 660.

Also, even though you can't use the kenwood HD, you still never need a nav disc, or don't have to worry about "memory mode" or changing the destination.

I have not confirmed this, but i heard the navigation gives detailed street listings and names of streets in the area your traveling (even if not part of your route) as your driving. so a familiar street could show up as your navigating. I think with the pioneer only the necessary streets are labeled. IS THIS CORRECT?

Better DVD compatability. both movie and mp3 playback.

Text to speech engine

It has a full 16:9 7 inch (6.95 to be exact) screen

SD card slot, can do data updates

because its garmin there will most likely be more frequent/better updates, and they are cheaper that the pioneer discs. You can upgrade by flash drive

I hear the bluetooth on kenwood is nice, i know the pioneer sucks for bluetooth, not to mention compatability.

it is $400 more

Pioneer

you could argue they make a better headunit.

From what i hear they sound better.

It is $400 less

There is alot more support for the pioneer than kenwood

The UI definitely looks nicer, seems better. And has color scheming, however, you shouldn't by a thousand dollar navigational head unit based on the fact that you can change the colors to match your car

Obviously the Kenwood seems better, but the pioneer looks better, the UI is nicer and i do like pioneer. Not to mention the support, like this forum.

It's a toss up, but i think kenwood is better all around for the money. NOt to mention, the biggest pioneer gripe is the faulty navigation, and i am primarily using navigation, garmin is tops.