AVIC411.com

Cancelling D3 for Kenwood DNX7100

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a DDX8017. I was extremely disappointed with that unit. The face rattled, the buttons rattled, no wallpapers, crappy menus. The iPod control was absolutely HORRIBLE!!!! I just was not as pleased with that unit as I was with the Alpine W200 I had. Unless Kenwood seriously revamped their iPod compatability I would never even think about owning another of their units. I understand that the DNX7100 has the plain no frills menus too with no option for different wallpapers. Just some wierd textrues.

I had the DDX-7015, which has the same iPod interface as your 8017, and it sucked. The DNX-7100 has a very different iPod interface than yours. The new version of yours, the DDX-8019, has the same new updated iPod interface as the DNX-7100. You can see pictures of the new iPod interface on this site under the Kenwood 7100 thread in the "Other Navigation Systems" section.

I haven't tried it yet, but according to the manual, you can add user wallpapers via USB.

I had a DDX8017. I was extremely disappointed with that unit. The face rattled, the buttons rattled, no wallpapers, crappy menus. The iPod control was absolutely HORRIBLE!!!! I just was not as pleased with that unit as I was with the Alpine W200 I had. Unless Kenwood seriously revamped their iPod compatability I would never even think about owning another of their units. I understand that the DNX7100 has the plain no frills menus too with no option for different wallpapers. Just some wierd textrues.

I had the DDX-7015, which has the same iPod interface as your 8017, and it sucked. The DNX-7100 has a very different iPod interface than yours. The new version of yours, the DDX-8019, has the same new updated iPod interface as the DNX-7100. You can see pictures of the new iPod interface on this site under the Kenwood 7100 thread in the "Other Navigation Systems" section.

I haven't tried it yet, but according to the manual, you can add user wallpapers via USB.

Well Ill say its about time. But im still not buying another one.

• 10 months later...

I had an Kenwood and tried it out, At first I was amazed by the features and complexity of the system, I was also amazed by the Garmin, coz everyone around sais that Garmin is way to go. I had begore a N2, I get used to that, even if the map was not up to date, I wonder if Canadian maps are updated every 5 years or so, but the way how the avic displays and navigates you thru is state of the art, and from my experience garmin is not even close. The UI of pioneer in the NAV is excellent gives you all information you need to know, also 2 turns ahead. Comparing to Garmin interface that is fat cartoonish like, and in real world is uselles coz If you need to check while your driwing on the Highway for directions, takes more your attention as the pioneers UI to know where to go. In my oppinion If pioneer would learn from others companies and improove their system, its a flawless system at all.

Maybe thats my point of view, but I did not like garmin after my experience with pioneer. So I ended up with pioneer again

Im actually thinkin about gettin one of them new Apline navi's. I know the price is up there but at the end of the day they dont have issues like the AVIC'S have. And every year updated disk are out on time. Pioneer needs to step it up.

Have you read any of the stuff on here about the F-series? Might already be "stepping it up"

Im actually thinkin about gettin one of them new Apline navi's. I know the price is up there but at the end of the day they dont have issues like the AVIC'S have. And every year updated disk are out on time. Pioneer needs to step it up.

I seriously considered switching to a Kenwood once I found out they use Garmin.

But when I heard about the F-series coming out this summer, I decided to hold off.

The Kenwood's features are nice, but they're not a dramatic improvement over the D-3's. And there are of course the cons as well.

If the F-series has much stronger navigation capabilities, I'm going for that. Otherwise I think I'll wait for Kenwood's next generation. With Pioneer, Alpine all releasing next gen nav systems, I don't think there's any reason to buy a system which may be phased out within 6 months, especially when it does not offer a significant performance difference.