AVIC411.com

I think I got screwed on my install....

wow, that really sucks. i've never seen anything like that, and i've seen a lot of butchered cars over the years. i dont think i would let him touch my car again. you need to get price quotes on all the parts he broke that need to be replaced. have him pay for that and refund your money. put it back to stock and go elsewhere. if thats the kind of work they do in the first place, dont let em hack it up more. if you were closer i'd fix it for you myself

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought I'd give everyone an update.

BBB was kind of a waste as their ruling was to let him fix it. I returned the car to him again and he was like what's wrong with it?

Needless to say I left. And have done the work myself which I should have done myself as the wiring in my car is hacked to bits, there is no amp bypass and a pile full of screws.

I did complete the video bypass which was beyond easy, just soldering a few wires.

I'm looking for the double DIN cage to center the unit up in the housing.

Also, looking for the VSS wire (it wasn't hooked up and I'm going on a fairly long trip in about 2 weeks and want to be accurate) for the 91 940se Volvo, if anyone might be able to help at all.

If anyone is interested I can take some pics.

my 6 yr old son builds stuff better than that and i am proud to have him as my helper. i am sure that he could have done better than this. also he does not use super glue to mount parts together, he uses my 3m 8115 or my 8223 panel adhesives. he also knows that super glue leaves the white marks. SOME people do not deserve to work on cars or anything else. This shop may end up paying out alot more than it took in on this install, really is too bad.

• 11 months later...

Here is a pic of the final product. It's crappy I took it with my cell, but the mounting kit did wonders for me, it's centered and flesh with everything.

Two problems: no speed sensor wire and when I make a right turn the speakers crackle...

post-8292-12872755079777_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic of the final product. It's crappy I took it with my cell, but the mounting kit did wonders for me, it's centered and flesh with everything.

Two problems: no speed sensor wire and when I make a right turn the speakers crackle...

it looks factory now. good job. i didnt see the original pictures of that guy's install because they wouldnt load, but from what everyone is saying, i dont think i want to see...

anyways that crackling youre hearing when you make a right turn sounds like a loose wire somewhere, or if you didnt tape the soldered part fully, and the wires could be touching some kind of metal surface, and if you dont have a lot of room behind the d3, its not unlikely. either way its an easy fix, just check your connections again. hope everything works out!

I didn't see the original pics, but that's pretty much my story with everything. I am NEVER happy when I pay to have something done and only end up with satisfactory results if I do it myself. Just about everything I have paid someone to do, they've either screwed it up royally, broken something, messed something up, and it's so frustrating because I'm a soft-spoken, introverted person and it causes me great stress to complain and argue. I have learned if there is any possible way to do it myself, that's what I need to do.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you've now got an install that you're happy with, but did it take over a year? I would be really pissed and want to make that guy pay for all that time wasted!

Hey guys,

I remember this thread and the pics of the first install by the shop. Trust me, they are very hard to forget. This looks 1 million times better than what the shop did. You should actually go back to the same shop with the old pics and show them what they should have done in the first place. If this guy has any pride at all, he should at least apologize.

It took a year because I had to replace the glove box, the bezel and I just kind of did it all in my spare time. I should have done the install myself in the first place, but sometimes you just want to pay for a professional service. I'll have to get a better picture of the finished product.

dang! i remember seeing this last year when you originally posted it! i remember now how terrible that install was! glad that you finally got it done yourself! at least now you have the satisfaction knowing that you are more capable of an installer than those guys were! just sucks that you had to go through all of that!