AVIC411.com

I have sent my Z2 in for repair once already and they cleared the HD, got it back and installed 3 days ago and now the problem is back. freezes on splash screen, but still plays my ipod.

I called Pioneer and they asked me the current temp (98 +hight humidity) and asked me to run a 16guage wire from the radio ground directly to the battery.

dude must not realize the batter in my car is in the trunk!

(I have an 06 Dodge Charger http://www.cardomain.com/id/GeekGrl)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have sent my Z2 in for repair once already and they cleared the HD, got it back and installed 3 days ago and now the problem is back. freezes on splash screen, but still plays my ipod.

I called Pioneer and they asked me the current temp (98 +hight humidity) and asked me to run a 16guage wire from the radio ground directly to the battery.

That's a new one. It's just crazy enough to make me want to try it. Anyone got a theory on why a higher current ground might be a fix?

The plausable situation would be that resistance is proportional to temperature. So if the issue could be that the voltage drop could be too much for the HDD to get the power it needs on bootup. But at normal temps, the resistance is low enough for the required voltage for bootup.

Again...only speculation at this point.

I'm having the same problem. I just removed my unit to send in. The tech at Pioneer was poo pooing our theories stating that the unit needs a 14 gauge wire direct to the battery itself and and a direct ground for the HD to run properly as (he says) is stated in the install directions. Hes stated that the HDs are not getting enough juice and that's why they are failing.

Don't kill the messenger....

Ya know.. I could see the supply current being an issue if you were using the AVIC's built in AMP. However.. If you are running external amps, I can't imagine that the measly current requirements of a LAPTOP (i.e. low current) hard drive are not easily met by almost any wiring situation.

Since I know her installation ( as I did it.. :) ), I know she's running an externally amped setup. Another nail in this theories coffin is that the freeze occurs before the highest current load for the unit.. when there's audio playing. ( while I understand if your input source was selected to an external source, the audio will start playing, it seems that the freeze occurs before this point, and independent of source [ external / internal ]. )

LK

Hi, I wanted to chime in on this subject:

I had mine Z2 (+ BT + IPOD + REAR CAMERA + XM modules) installed professionally in my Audi S4 about 3 months ago. I like the unit a lot and it wows anyone who checks it out. -- I have some gripes about menu options and other issues that other people are complaining about as well... but on to the main issue at hand:

About 3 weeks ago my unit locked up on startup for the first time. I turned off the car, waited about a minute then started the car / unit again. Another freeze again; and another and another, etc. I pressed the reset button and then turned off the car. Started up correctly this time.

This same thing has happened now 3 times over 3 weeks. Very intermittently.

What causes this: vibration, heat, both?

I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks!

WTF? Have you not read anything in this thread? Everyone that's posted has claimed that heat is the problem.

mine does the same im here in AZ and it was 110 today and my shit did not work all day even when blasting the AC it take an hour out here just to cool the car I called my dude he said bring it in he will swap it for a new one but I have a feeling it will do the same Im thinking about having him put the kenwood in after hearing all these people and save me a few hundred and I can watch movies wjhile i drive this deck is pos

Fixed it....... well sort of

Did the thermaltake coolers actually work?

LK

While that looks like it will help, but it would only truely solve the problem if the fans were left running all the time, or were triggered by a tempature sensor when the car is parked in an un-covered lot. the main time I have the lockups is late in the after noon, while my car has been parked in direct sunlight.

I always leave my windows cracked and use my sun visor in the front window.

I have a question tho. What would it matter on the gauge of wire if the pioneer harness is such a think gauge? Granted mine is all soldered in and taped up so its been awhile since I've seen it.

I am getting really pissed off that my $2,000 POS radio doesnt work 25% of the time.

Mine is just grounded in the harness. Is there any results yet with the heavy duty direct ground?

So I just received my customer's Z2 yesterday. I sent it in for the first time and got it back, NTF. I sent it back the same day saying it didn't work again, and yesterday after waiting 2 weeks I received a brand new one. It even came with all the new harnesses and in the retail box. The production date is July 2007.

How can I tell if it has the most recent update for the bypass to work? I'll check the other threads but thought I'd go ahead and ask since I've already started this thread.