AVIC411.com

Z1/Z2 HDD Replacement Trial and Error Thread

I think it's time to start a new thread for this topic, as the ISO begging thread was for ISO begging and the Image is now available to all. I think we should move our discussion here so we can all experiment with different drives types and speeds and find out what the best replacement, and the fastest replacement drives are that will work in our Nav systems without it rebooted periosically.

I tested the stock HDD and of course it doesn't reboot at all, but I also tried an 80GB 5400 Hitchachi HTS548080M9AT00, and it reboots about every 15 - 30 mins.

Lets share our results

edit:

I just took my 80GB out for a ride again (might as well I forgot to disable the ATA password, DOH) and I find that it seems to reboot less, when I am driving. if I am still (ie programming my POI Overlays) I find it reboots about every 15 mins, but when I am driving around it can take an 30-45 minutes, maybe it's just coincidence but if would lead some backing to the theory that the draw in current could be the reason for rebooting, is it possible that when driving around that the alternator is providing more power and the system doesn't reboot as much until I slow down or stop, (like when I stopped for some BK burgers, it rebooted while I was waiting, but not at all for the first part of a 45 min drive. Any other thoughts as to what is causing the reboots? is any manufacturer better then another? will a 7200 RPM Toshiba drive work properly and boot even faster then 5400 RPM Toshiba drive 4034GAX what is supposed to work fine with extended music? could empty free space on the drives be casing the issue... maybe the drive tries to read into the empty parts of the larger drives we've been trying.... Please all ideas and comments welcome

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I downloaded the image from the newsgroups for my install. I also have the torrents still downloading and will continue to seed them for several weeks once they complete.

I tried to install to a Fujitsu 60gb MHV2060AH 5400 rpm drive ($60 at Fry's), and it completed the update, then rebooted quite frequently.

Next I bit the bullet, and used the password unlocker ($5) on my original drive (no z1 backup to fall back to), turned ata security off, and then installed the image on the original drive. No rebooting issues. Everything is working great. FYI... you will loose all library music, and your GPS address book.

I am in the DFW area if anyone needs some assistance.

I downloaded the image from the newsgroups for my install. I also have the torrents still downloading and will continue to seed them for several weeks once they complete.

I tried to install to a Fujitsu MHV2060AH 5400 rpm drive ($60 at Fry's), and it completed the update, then rebooted quite frequently.

Next I bit the bullet, and used the password unlocker ($5) on my original drive (no z1 backup to fall back to), turned ata security off, and then installed the image on th eoriginal drive. No rebooting issues. Everything is working great. FYI... you will loose all library music, and your GPS address book.

I did the exact same thing, I didn't want to pay the $43 US or whatever, so I forked over the $5 and loaded up the Z2 image, so unless you really have a lot of cd's or some data worth saving, the $5 unlocker with the Z2 image is perfect for an upgrade, but now I want to increase the boot speed, honestly the extra space for music would be nice, but I would LOVE to have a perm increase in speed like I saw in the 5400 but stable like original, and if possible maybe a 7200? Who knows lets find out.

Next I bit the bullet, and used the password unlocker ($5) on my original drive (no z1 backup to fall back to), turned ata security off, and then installed the image on th eoriginal drive. No rebooting issues. Everything is working great. FYI... you will loose all library music, and your GPS address book.

Where did you pay $5 to unlock the drive at?

Toshiba MK4018GAS 40GB 4200 rpm - reboots

Hitachi HTS548040M9AT00 40GB 5400 rpm- reboots

Fujitsu MHT2040AT 40GB 4200 rpm - reboots

All 3 would reboot after 10-15min.

Currently trying - Hitachi DK23EA-30 30GB 4200 rpm - Tried for 20min and no reboots so far. Tommorow when i drive to work ill know for sure.

Where did you pay $5 to unlock the drive at?

http://www.hddunlock.com/

OK, we know the original works fine. I never heard of a rebooting issue when the z1 image. So what happens when you use the same drives that were rebooting with a z1 image. If it's a hardware issue, shouldn't they reboot on a z1 image? and if it is only on a z2 image, then what is demanding the greater power. just a couple of questions for thought to maybe help out.

OK, we know the original works fine. I never heard of a rebooting issue when the z1 image. So what happens when you use the same drives that were rebooting with a z1 image. If it's a hardware issue, shouldn't they reboot on a z1 image? and if it is only on a z2 image, then what is demanding the greater power. just a couple of questions for thought to maybe help out.

That's a good question. Anyone have a Z1 image they can send me? I can do this test right away, I'm lining up 4 or 5 different drives for more testing this week!