AVIC411.com

Wireless CarPlay

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, i did not see this coming for several years. I have been holding off buying a new NEX unit trying to figure out how to get a very clean look with all the cables required for car play, app radio, usb, aux etc..  At least this will eliminate one of the extra cables. What can you say it is technology and it keeps getting better. This might be all the hold up with some of the auto manufacturers knowing that the wireless mode is coming and they held off putting it into the new cars.

I figured the lightning cable approach was due to battery drain and a seamless experience.

I get the sense this feature is only available in new cars and not in after-market headunits although I could be wrong.  This seems like something that would need to be more integrated into a car that an after-market headunit install would be capable of doing.

With that said, it would be great to have Wireless Carplay for my 4000NEX but I have gotten used to plugging in the cord and in the end it isn't that big a deal.  I'd be happy to see some of the minor issues I have been seeing ironed out in the next iOS(es).  Fingers crossed

I'm not going to jump to conclusions from the 9 to 5 Mac article.  It could be that we'll just need a firmware update from Pioneer.  However, given that I've not seen even any inkling of a firmware update since I bought the unit last October (for which I installed 1.08 as soon as I installed the unit), and nobody seems to have come forth with a map update (even though it was implied that we would get a free update someday), I'm not optimistic that the wireless Carplay will come for the 8000NEX.  Heck, with the 8100NEX out, I'm not feeling very confident that there will ever be another firmware update for the 8000.  Likely, the 8100NEX will support wireless CarPlay, and that will truly irritate me if they don't extend that capability to the 8000.  The bluetooth is already there, so why would it be such a problem?  I don't like being a "forgotten customer" and I have a very long brand memory.

I totally agree. Even Apple provides updates for its older phones for quite some time. Can you imagine the backlash if they dropped all support for the iPhone 6 when the 6S comes out this year? Pioneer needs to continue to provide updates for at least 2-3 years to keep up with the ever changing cell phone technology. At least the X000 and X100NEX products share a common software platform.

Well not talking Pioneer, and how much they treat their customers with respect (PS personally don't worry the 8200 will have this feature even though our current radios probably have some kind of dormant wifi in them or something stupid) however alpine's radio, the ILX-007 has been confirmed to have a dormant Wifi chip and bluetooth chip in the motherboard that I suspect will be activated at the same time as this carplay update. Sadly I can't seem to find the picture proving it at this second, but it has been shown in teardowns to have the chips. 

Wow. Just. Wow. I hope its over Wi-Fi.

[Edit: looking at the linked article, it does seem to be a Wi-Fi feature]

Yeah, Bluetooth is at that point where on paper it could carry video, but in practice, it isn't going to be a good experience. Plus, the early leaks around wireless CarPlay months ago were also saying WiFi. Using the bluetooth connection to trigger the WiFi pairing though is one way to do it.

Adding a patch to enable this would be the right thing to do, but has Pioneer ever gone back months down the line to add a feature to already released head units? I can't think of a case.

The only time I have seen them support non current head units was when apple updated the software and it broke the Appradio 1's connection to the phone. I haven't seen a new feature be added to non current radios.

Another forum member is a pioneer authorized dealer he stated there were significant hardware changes to the new NEX units that have android auto. I wonder if these new versions might have the wi fi capability for a future update. Pioneer has not updated the manuals on these units yet but I figure if this can be added via a firmware update they will let us know like they did last year with the update for wired car play.

Another forum member is a pioneer authorized dealer he stated there were significant hardware changes to the new NEX units that have android auto. I wonder if these new versions might have the wi fi capability for a future update. Pioneer has not updated the manuals on these units yet but I figure if this can be added via a firmware update they will let us know like they did last year with the update for wired car play.

Meh. I don't care. Pioneer has already burned me with both the appradio 2 and the NEX line with their many examples of gloriously bad mismanagement. I'm waiting for the Parrot. Or maybe some other new entrant that we haven't seen yet. With Android Auto and Carplay in the mix, I'm sure there will be some kickstarter for a radio that doesn't suck at some point in the future.