AVIC411.com

Avic Z2 TO Z3 Upgrade

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy I bought it from said it is unlocked as well. How cn I tell, and what will it do that the unlocked one did not.

He also said that the hard drive isYou are purchasing an upgraded 40GB (5400 rpm) hard drive for your AVIC-Z1 or AVIC-Z2 or AVIC-Z3.

It's good that it's unlocked. This enables you to get into this drive by hooking it up to a PC, and make changes to the banner and splash screens. You can also upgrade this drive to a newer versions when it becomes available.

Lots of good info here: http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=728

It also means that you can make a lot of friends here by sharing the image from that harddrive. :wink::lol:

AF Magnum would love to hear from you and I'm sure would walk you through it. :wink:

If someone can get me an image sometime tonight or tomorrow morning, I will make a torrent and seed for the week.

A whole week, huh... unless your upstream is around 1MB/s, that's not gonna cut it :roll:

We've already got a distribution method, we're all just waiting on an image.

If someone can get me an image sometime tonight or tomorrow morning, I will make a torrent and seed for the week.

A whole week, huh... unless your upstream is around 1MB/s, that's not gonna cut it :roll:

A whole week of initial seeding would be plenty and the offer is very much appreciated. :D

The way torrents work, anyone downloading during that week will in turn be seeding, so that by the end of that week there will probably be a few dozen seeders and the download would be faster and more efficient than ever.

All this is hypothetic however until someone donates that image. :cry:

Hyperite, here is how torrents work:

Basically, a torrent is a way to distribute large files (like high-quality concert recordings, video and image files) in a shared manner. The person offering up the torrent, we'll use CaptainInsaneO in this example because he just offered, creates a torrent file and posts the link to it on a public tracker site. Other people who are interested in it download the torrent file and open it with special torrent software (more on that later) which starts to download chunks of the file from CaptainInsaneO. As people successfully download chunks of the file, they start sharing those chunks with other people trying to download the same file.

So, if there are 10 chunks to the file, I might get chunks 1, 5, and 7 from CaptainInsaneO directly. But if Jeff starts downloading too, then I'd get chunks 2 and 3 from him and automatically give him my chunks 5 and 7. Brian might also be downloading and I'd get 4 and 8 from him and give him 1 and 5. All of this is done automatically and managed by the torrent program which can be left working in the background or can be started and stopped at will. Eventually we all get all the chunks from someone participating in the torrent. Then we keep our software running so that people who came to the game later can download more chunks from us, especially if we have a good network connection (not everyone does this, but it's what torrents are all about, so do it if you can, you can limit bandwidth to your liking).

Distribution in this manner reduces the demand on CaptainInsaneO computer and connection (because all of us aren't downloading the whole thing from him directly and in fact not at all once he stops seeding). And because it's all in chunks, you can stop downloading if you need more bandwidth for something else and start up again later, and the software knows what you still need.

There are a lot of different tracker sites and CaptainInsaneO may set up his own.

You need special torrent software to download torrents. uTorrent, my own favorite, is free and works flawlessly.

It's indeed a great way for sharing this image if it ever becomes available.

Hey guys I have an image of the Z3 I will be glad to donate. Here's the thing.......It is on a Toshiba 40gig 5400rpm HD. I have no way to upload this image. It is unlocked. I do have a HD duplicating machine. I can cloan up 5 at one time. If someone would supply a HD I would be glad to cloan it so it can be posted to the correct location. I can't upload the directly from the HD because I have no of connecting it to my PC. But will help get to someone who can get it up. 8)

Hey guys I have an image of the Z3 I will be glad to donate. Here's the thing.......It is on a Toshiba 40gig 5400rpm HD. I have no way to upload this image. It is unlocked. I do have a HD duplicating machine. I can cloan up 5 at one time. If someone would supply a HD I would be glad to cloan it so it can be posted to the correct location. I can't upload the directly from the HD because I have no of connecting it to my PC. But will help get to someone who can get it up. 8)

Does it need to be an identical drive?

just wondering why you cant upload it?

A whole week of initial seeding would be plenty and the offer is very much appreciated. :D

The way torrents work, anyone downloading during that week will in turn be seeding, so that by the end of that week there will probably be a few dozen seeders and the download would be faster and more efficient than ever.

All this is hypothetic however until someone donates that image. :cry:

like i said... unless he's got a decent upload, a week will only result in a dozen people having incomplete images.

Hyperite, here is how torrents work:

wait...can you explain it again? i couldn't hear you over my 12TB seed machine in the server rack next to me :lol:

like i said... unless he's got a decent upload, a week will only result in a dozen people having incomplete images. :

Wrong!! Even one day is plenty to get others the full file as long as he has a high speed connection (And he wouldn't offer if he didn't). A week is very generous when it comes to seeding torrents. Do you need more information on how torrents work :?: -Or are you just some 18 year old know-it-all-smart-ass who can't help but critique others on their posts :?:

CaptainInsaneO like Passat said, you're offer to help is appreciated :!:

like i said... unless he's got a decent upload, a week will only result in a dozen people having incomplete images. :

Wrong!! Even one day is plenty to get others the full file as long as he has a high speed connection (And he wouldn't offer if he didn't). A week is very generous when it comes to seeding torrents. Do you need more information on how torrents work :?: -Or are you just some 18 year old know-it-all-smart-ass who can't help but critique others on their posts :?:

CaptainInsaneO like Passat said, you're offer to help is appreciated :!:

"AS LONG AS HE HAS A HIGH SPEED CONNECTION"... that's what i said! :roll:

MOST people in the US have less than a 30KB/s upload. You're saying he can transfer a 10 gig file to even one person in a day?

Anyway, he doesn't have an image. Someone would have to upload it to him. And he's saying he needed it "tonight or tomorrow morning". Which means the person who actually HAS the image would have to have a pretty hefty uplink.

Read through some of these threads, you'll see i've got a rather decent server farm to host it indefinitely, with a number of protocols (yes, one of which will probably be a piratebay tracked torrent, in case something happens here). Offering a week is worthless, especially without an image.

No need to sling words over this, it's just an image!

I appreciate hyperite keeping me informed of other avenues of distribution, I just wanted to throw in my own bandwidth to help everyone out.

My connection is 10 megs down, 1 meg up in case anyone is wondering.

Edit: And the reason I said "tonight or tomorrow morning" is because that's when I was at my computer. I'm in class for my A+ cert all this week and really wouldn't have much time to do the torrent during the week, so it has to happen on the weekend. But I guess I don't need to worry about that now if we have other ways!