AVIC411.com

D3 Questions for Owners

I just got done installing a D3 in my MKV GTI. There is a wiring harness pioneer makes that is plug and play with NO splicing to the factory harness. Only problem it is not sold in the US for some reason. I bought mine here: http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_prod ... o=CARPI221

You can't order form the website though. I contacted their customer service via e-mail and they were very fast to respond and made the process smooth. You'll want a google checkout account if you don't have one though.

And you WILL have to cut on that adapter. You will need to cut both of the plastic adapters and connect to the D3 harness wires with whatever connector type you choose. I got a little nervous when I started cutting on a $100 adapter, but it has worked flawless for me. With the steering wheel controls, you only get volume and mute though. You cannot change the track.

I might be able to answer other questions if you have them since I just recently did the install. If you come up with a custom illumination color that matches the VW blue, please let me know. I can't seem to get a good match.

Hey thanks for the heads up...

Wondering if you or anyone else can help me out here...

With the D3 + Bluetooth module. Looking to keep as much of the steering wheel buttons in tact as possible... What all do I need to purchase?

The AVIC-D3, BTB200...

Would I need both of these?

http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/s ... 2R_VW.html

http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/s ... WI_PS.html

Or just the one you referenced in your post.

Thanks again guys!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright I think I am ready to jump the gun and order this sucker. Just a quick question for the community. Again I am a newbie to this so my question my be dumb but will I need a wiring harness for this to work in my 2008 VW GTI. If so, where is the best place to order them. Also same goes for a dash kit, are there any preferred sites?

Thanks everyone

Alright I think I am ready to jump the gun and order this sucker. Just a quick question for the community. Again I am a newbie to this so my question my be dumb but will I need a wiring harness for this to work in my 2008 VW GTI. If so, where is the best place to order them. Also same goes for a dash kit, are there any preferred sites?

Thanks everyone

Where are you going to end up buying from? I am from Canada as well and right now i'm looking at ebay.

• 2 weeks later...
Ah sweet sweet. That has pretty much sold me on the whole 1 cd limitation. 1 mp3 dvd = 7 mp3 cds so its all good :) beats my 6 cd mp3 head unit.

Thanks man

Hey Mike, fellow Gapper here; I had mine installed about 6 months ago and I love it. The navi issue isn't a big deal as once you plot your route you can save it to "memory" in the unit and then pop out the Nav DVD and pop in whatever you want to listen/watch. This works great in the cities and I have used it many times in S'toon, PA, Eddy, Wpg and Calgary. Just get the address, punch it in to the unit, watch it plot the course and then pop the NAV DVD out. It leads you right to your destination with voice prompts and fantastic on-screen route display (even automatically switches to close up for tricky intersections and by-passes).

I would recommend finding a place that will do the DVD and NAVI bypass though as this is awesome for those long boring highway trips here in SK. The directions can be downloaded here off this site. I would avoid SoundWerks in PA though... they did mine and I had to re-do the shit they screwed up on. I have heard good stuff about Audio Wareshouse though. Good luck with your purchase, I know you'll like it.

Also since you are not getting a iPod right away you can set a route and then it will auto-save to the D3s memory. You can then take the Nav DVD out and put in a music CD. You have to put the nav dvd back in if you want to make major changes to the route.

how about if you want to like zoom in and out of the route, if i have the trip saved? Also i have a PS2 hooked up for the rear tvs, would i be able to display that on the rear monitors while having the navi dvd in the system?

Ah sweet sweet. That has pretty much sold me on the whole 1 cd limitation. 1 mp3 dvd = 7 mp3 cds so its all good :) beats my 6 cd mp3 head unit.

Thanks man

Hey Mike, fellow Gapper here; I had mine installed about 6 months ago and I love it. The navi issue isn't a big deal as once you plot your route you can save it to "memory" in the unit and then pop out the Nav DVD and pop in whatever you want to listen/watch. This works great in the cities and I have used it many times in S'toon, PA, Eddy, Wpg and Calgary. Just get the address, punch it in to the unit, watch it plot the course and then pop the NAV DVD out. It leads you right to your destination with voice prompts and fantastic on-screen route display (even automatically switches to close up for tricky intersections and by-passes).

I would recommend finding a place that will do the DVD and NAVI bypass though as this is awesome for those long boring highway trips here in SK. The directions can be downloaded here off this site. I would avoid SoundWerks in PA though... they did mine and I had to re-do the shit they screwed up on. I have heard good stuff about Audio Wareshouse though. Good luck with your purchase, I know you'll like it.

Hey, you from SK? Audio Warehouse / Innovation Audio are probably the two better shops in SK. I am going to do the install myself, looks like the bypass is simple enough. Plus I have friends that are electronic engineers and electrical mechanics so that doesn't hurt. My device should be here by the end of the week (harness, dash kit, swi cables, etc)

can someone post a video of how long it takes for you to take out a cd/dvd and put in the nav dvd and be able to type in a route and save it? this will probably be the determining factor on whether or not i get the D3 installed in a couple weeks or not...

I just did the D3 install on my MKV Rabbit. You will need the following from Enfig:

Pioneer to Car:

Steering Wheel Controls:

Bezel:

http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/s ... K1017.html

That is really all you need. The install took no more than an hour itself, plus some extra time routing the ipod wire through the center console to the stock ipod slot in the center armrest.

you also need SWI-CAN

I just got done installing a D3 in my MKV GTI. There is a wiring harness pioneer makes that is plug and play with NO splicing to the factory harness. Only problem it is not sold in the US for some reason. I bought mine here: http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_prod ... o=CARPI221

You can't order form the website though. I contacted their customer service via e-mail and they were very fast to respond and made the process smooth. You'll want a google checkout account if you don't have one though.

And you WILL have to cut on that adapter. You will need to cut both of the plastic adapters and connect to the D3 harness wires with whatever connector type you choose. I got a little nervous when I started cutting on a $100 adapter, but it has worked flawless for me. With the steering wheel controls, you only get volume and mute though. You cannot change the track.

I might be able to answer other questions if you have them since I just recently did the install. If you come up with a custom illumination color that matches the VW blue, please let me know. I can't seem to get a good match.

Hey thanks for the heads up...

Wondering if you or anyone else can help me out here...

With the D3 + Bluetooth module. Looking to keep as much of the steering wheel buttons in tact as possible... What all do I need to purchase?

The AVIC-D3, BTB200...

Would I need both of these?

Or just the one you referenced in your post.

Thanks again guys!

Here is a question. If you make an MP3 cd/dvd. And say there are over 200 songs on the disc.... How do you scroll through it all.. is just like:

Track 1

Track 2

Track 3

Track 4

etc....

OR

Is it like this:

1. Guns and Roses - November Rain

2. Cold Play - Clocks

3. Onyx - Slam

4. Crystal Method - Roll it up

etc...

Thanks,

-Nigel

Logically one would think that if you burn a mp3 cd/dvd by just thowing a bunch of songs on the disc, then you would be stuck going in the "track 1, track 2, track 3" method. If you were to arrange those songs nicely in folders and then even by genre im sure that the D3 would use a directory system to access each folder and the tracks within... Similar to what an iPod does. Havent tried this with the D3 yet, but other Pioneer units I have owned worked this way, no reason to think the D3 wouldnt.

It does display the file names rather than saying "track1, track 2, etc." But unfortunately, it will not allow searching or narrowing down of selection like with an MP3 player. You would need to come up with a folder system to use on the disk if you want to find things easily without scrolling through 100 songs (or like 600 or more on a mp3 DVD)...

Sorry, Let me clarify what I meant. What I should have said is that what ever folders you create on the disc, (artists, genres, whatever) when you selected that folder on the D3 you would have access to those songs in that folder instead of having to go through every song on the disc.

You are flipping kidding me!?!

You can create folders on the disc (IE: Rock, Rap, Techho, Classical)

Put the differnent style songs in the folders and the D3 will be able to read the folders and when you push the Rock folder you will see your rock music?

That is awesome!!!

w0w, I am liking this more and more! I sooooooooooooo want to put it in my car now!!! Just waiting for my backup camera... :-(

-Nigel