AVIC411.com

Navigation accuracy off by a bit

Hey Guys:

I searched through the forums for similar issues, but didn't find much of anything relevant.

I just installed a D3 into my MKV (2008) VW Rabbit using the PAC wiring harness. Install went smooth and all the connection are proper. When I first took it out for a drive, the navigation was SPOT on meaning when I was at an intersection, the arrow was DIRECTLY in the middle of the intersection. Fast forward to today (about a week after install) the navigation is no longer as accurate as it first was. I've pulled the unit to make sure the nav antenna was properly seats and connected and everything checks out. The VSS wire is connected and getting proper signal.

Below are 2 pictures to illustrate the accuracy "problem" as well as the mounting point of the antenna. I am sitting RIGHT at the intersection in the pictures. The antenna placement is a popular spot to put it in the MKV's. I have it mounted ON TOP of the the metal vent you see below, therefore it is magnetically "stuck" there.

Any input/ideas on improving the accuracy would be greatly appreciated. I won't run into too many problems as it is now, but it is somewhat annoying, especially considering when I first installed the unit, it was dead on in regards to accuracy. Thanks!

post-3728-12872754185212_thumb.jpg

post-3728-12872754186195_thumb.jpg

Try sitting at a location where you know EXACTLY where it is on the map, then manually modify your location on the nav screen accordingly to correct the problem.

The option to modify your current location is under the SETTINGS tab in the nav menu.

Sometimes if you drive through an area with little or no satellite reception, the nav loses track of where you are, and when signal is re-established it is off by a little.

I have a similar problem as you. I used an N1 prior to this, and it was much more accurate.

I'm going to take mine back into the shop and have them attach the VSS wire, and see if there's anything they can do to tweak the antenna's location. I'll suggest they put it closer to some metal pieces.

But if that doesn't work, my guess is either the unit is defective or the antenna is defective. I don't think there's much else that can be done.

I'd try going to one of POI and setting it there.

I set mine up in my driveway and I thought it was way off, but when I actually took it on the road it was spot on.

For some reason the map is off a little bit.

My street is visible on the map, but it has me on a shorter street one neighborhood over, that may be 25 yards from where my street begins.

I'd try going to one of POI and setting it there.

I set mine up in my driveway and I thought it was way oactually took it on the road it was spot on.

ff, but when I For some reason the map is off a little bit.

My street is visible on the map, but it has me on a shorter street one neighborhood over, that may be 25 yards from where my street begins.

There should be an alignment button to correct misalignments.On the Eclipse unit I can park in my driveway and if I set my adress to home.A bullseye will show where my house is and another bullseye will show where the unit has me placed.If the bullseyes are not on top of each other then that means the unit isn't tracking me in relation to the satellites.I can manually adjust the 2 bullseyes until they are on top of each other then my nav. is dead on.I'll check and see if the D3 has this fuction.

There should be an alignment button to correct misalignments.On the Eclipse unit I can park in my driveway and if I set my adress to home.A bullseye will show where my house is and another bullseye will show where the unit has me placed.If the bullseyes are not on top of each other then that means the unit isn't tracking me in relation to the satellites.I can manually adjust the 2 bullseyes until they are on top of each other then my nav. is dead on.I'll check and see if the D3 has this fuction.

It does. That's in my first post in this topic.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the exact same problem and have tried moving the antenna all over te place, I currently have it mounted on the roof, no better results. My VSS wire is fine and my Sat signal is OK, I usually get say 5 or 6 satellites but only 1 bar od strenght (green lines). Not sure if it's the unit or antenna.