AVIC411.com

AVIC-Z3 Hard Drive Image **OFFICIAL**

Excuse my ignorance here, maybe i havent been following this thread as closely as i should, BUT, what does the Z3 image give us Z2 users? Is it worth the troubles? Should I be jumping on ths ship and doing this image thing on my Z2?

For me it's worth just having updated maps. Also, it's worth the trouble just to have the latest and greatest...However, if your happy with your Z2 maps and functionality, I say don't fix it if it ain't broke.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ I'm not rehosting or reseeding, so...

CDDB update is easy enough if you care enough to do it... I don't, as I never use commercial CDs.

Good point. The only reason that I'm using the library on the Z2 is because I'm waiting for the iPod adapter, which is on back-order....

First of all, I would like to thank Hyperite, Septicdeath, and everyone else who is involved in making this image a reality for all AVIC Z series users. You guys are major contributor to the forums and I enjoy reading all of the topics.

Second, I do have a question in regards to placing the image in my stock Z1 30GB HD. It would seem that the original image came from a 40GB drive and everyone else here is using a larger drive to copy the image to. I was just wondering, does the sizes of the partitions matters when restoring the image to the regular 30GB? Can I keep the default settings in Acronis to restore the image or do I have to make some changes in partition size? I had it working fine on an 80GB HD currently in my Z1, but I really do not need that much music space so that is why I would like to use the original stock drive instead of a larger replacement. Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

The original image did come from a z3 40gb drive, but the 4 partitions only use 30gb of the drive. It fits PERFECTLY on the original 30gb drive.

Thank you garrettoomey for your prompt reply. So I do not have to make any adjustments in partitions sizes? Perfect. I will continue on with my image restore process. Thanks again.

So ok, I downloaded the first megaupload image wich haves the voice comand problem, I installed this on my DELL toshiba 40gb HD, yesterday I downloaded the Virgin files from the FTP. and now when I connect the 40gb HD to my external USB , it doesn't appear on my computer. It's locked? same thing happends with the 30GB HD I took off the Z2

So ok, I downloaded the first megaupload image wich haves the voice comand problem, I installed this on my DELL toshiba 40gb HD, yesterday I downloaded the Virgin files from the FTP. and now when I connect the 40gb HD to my external USB , it doesn't appear on my computer. It's locked? same thing happends with the 30GB HD I took off the Z2

yeah, sounds like you didn't disable security.

I won't pay $40 for the unlock program , with $40 I can buy a new HD and do it right this time via my USB hd connector, this sucks

the $40 is just if you want to save the data... you already have the image, so who cares.

So are you saying that his whole process is free. I would like to do the update but I didnt want to pay for a utility that would unlock my hard drive. I read the first page and the sticky like docs but I am a little confused. In 1,2,3 can you just tell me what the programs are. Thanks

So are you saying that his whole process is free. I would like to do the update but I didn't want to pay for a utility that would unlock my hard drive.

It's only free if you happen to have a spare, compatible, unlocked, automotive quality laptop HDD sitting around. Otherwise, you either need to pay the $40 like I did (well worth it if you ask me) or buy a new automotive quality drive.

ONLY Toshiba drives work, I suggest nothing bigger the 40GB as it is useless, go with a 5400RPM drive 2.5" parallel ATA drive NOT SATA. If u get a new drive disable security locking, you don't need to unlock as a new drive IS unlocked. If you want to save data you pay 40 bux to unlock, if you just want to unlock an existing locked drive and you don't care about the data you pay 5 bux. In any case after you unlock if needed DISABLE THE SECURITY, if not the Z1, Z2, Z3 will lock it again and ur screwed, so you'll pay more money. I found a 40GB Toshiba drive on fleabay at 5400RPM for 20 some odd dollars plus some shipping that's going to be my main drive and the one I have insisde the Z1 will be a backup. The process should be more or less free if you buy a new drive.

If I just update my existing Z2 drive to a Z3 I know I will lose data. I know I will lose my music and backgrounds, pics but what else? If I go this route your saying that all it will cost me is $5 for the unlock. I will like to proceed with this if this is what your saying. Can someone guid me in the correct direction to get started. Once again I have read the sticky like links but Im a little confused on them. Can someone help me. Thanks.