AVIC411.com

[quote name="Pulp_Fiction"]Been working on the day job quite a bit lately and I'm playing catch up.

Gracenote update sounds interesting. I want to get and "look" but not install it.

Once I get the drive back I can post if it works in my Z1 with Ducati's files.[/quote]

Sorry, I haven't loaded them yet, been working on the day job as well. I will load the files this weekend and try my files on your drive in my Z1 and then send the drive to you so you can try my files in your Z1 as well. Sorry it was taking me longer than I thought.
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any progress with this?

The test that we really need to do is to wipe an original drive and copy over it with backed up data.

We already know the "good" replacement drive from Pulp doesn't work for Ducati so we need to find out if the Z1 is looking at the drive model or something.

I'm almost tempted to buy a replacement drive of the exact same model as the OEM drive to see if that has anything to do with it but I really don't need a $130 30GB drive.
  • 5 weeks later...
Some thoughts I had while doing some research on Windows Automotive and Win CE.Net 4.0 (and 4.2.0):

First, the process of getting a platform up involves setting up the hardware, and creating a bootloader.

This lets you boot on your own hardware for debugging.

From purusing the exe's, it looks like the flash storage (where the boot loader partition resides) is accessed via USB.

Here's my idea. This thing is running CE.NET binaries for main applications. Someone needs to write a very simple CE.NET application (with all of the libraries linked in so it's a standalone app that doesn't rely on anything), and all that app does is copy from the USB/ parition all the files it finds into another folder on the hard drive.

Place that app in place of navi.exe or one of the others, and boot the system. Instead of running the z1 app, it'll run this custom app, copy everything off of the flash partition, at which point (once we figure out an easy way to keep the drives unlocked), we can pull it off and see what it is/replace it, etc.

Thoughts?
-Craig
Its close to bedtime here so had to skim through. I read that people were considering using a modded xbox to unlock the drive.

I don't know if anyone happened to find a modded xbox but I happen to have one.

So if anyone is near Ohio and willing to work with that then there is an option.

Sorry if I'm too late on this one.

-Litos
[quote name="grather"]Has any one been able to make a duplicate of the drive and have that one play.

This would let us know we can at least access the data correctly.

If so how to do it.
I would love to try.

I just at this time want to clone to another drive.
And have that one play[/quote]

Pulp Fiction was the only one. His worked fine. In my Z1 it locked up. I think there was another guy here and his locked up too, I don't remember who. I think it was Cirbirus.
[quote name="DataAve"]There has to be something in there that tells it to shut down if it sees greater than 30 GB. If you clone a drive, you are doing just that, an exact duplicate. So I figure there must be some lil' script in there to check for 30 GB's.[/quote]

Anyone have a 30 GB drive to test it out and see if it works? Ideally a 7200 RPM one.....maybe a lot of the lag in certain areas would be fixed this way rather than using the slow HDD pioneer suplied with the unit.
[quote name="jkawar"] [quote name="DataAve"]There has to be something in there that tells it to shut down if it sees greater than 30 GB. If you clone a drive, you are doing just that, an exact duplicate. So I figure there must be some lil' script in there to check for 30 GB's.[/quote]

Anyone have a 30 GB drive to test it out and see if it works? Ideally a 7200 RPM one.....maybe a lot of the lag in certain areas would be fixed this way rather than using the slow HDD pioneer suplied with the unit.[/quote]

I tried that. It didn't work any better than the 80 gig I tried to use.

It might be the fact I was using ghost. I know with my thinkpad laptop, ghost is a pain to get an image that will actually boot. I have acronis and casper and will try making images with those as well. I'm pretty much done testing the bypass on the new units and that seems to be the ticket. Once things calm down a bit, I'll get back to playing with the hard drive.
[quote name="ducatiboy"]ghost is a pain to get an image that will actually boot. I have acronis and casper and will try making images with those as well.[/quote]

I don't have experience with either of these, but if anyone is on a mac or a linux box, the available tools are a bit more... atomic. Using dd is probably the best thing out there for imaging an entire drive device to a file, and then you can play with the file itself from then on. Similar to how ghost works, but without any windows api's to go through, you're getting direct drive access to image and restore, bit for bit.

Ducati, do you have access to a linux box? Does Pulp or BigFloppy? What ever happened to the guy with the mac that seemed to be the first guy to get his drive read? I can walk people through a dd process. I'd do it with my drive, but I'm stuck with my laptop in Florida for the next week, with no way to mount the drive.

Also, you can download a linux liveCD booter that will give you access to these tools on a pc - you just pop the cd in, it boots into linux.

-Craig