AVIC411.com

Ok, Who wants a bypass for the July 06 units?

Ok, I think I found it. I was just driving around for 5 minutes at 45 mph and had a dvd playing. I think I have it, but I want to install it and set it all up and drive around for a day or so to test it.

But if someone wants to know how to do it and help test....

Take the unit out and look at the back of it.

There are 4 empty wires on the right side of "connector 2" (towards the FM radio antenna). As you are looking at the rear of the unit with the fm antenna on the bottom right... you want to ground the very bottom right pin (the empty hole in the connector).

I took the cellular phone mute wire from connector 1 (use a jewlers screw driver and push in the little tab and pull out that wire) and then make sure the tab is still pried out a bit, then snap it into the bottom right of connector 2... as it's plugged into the rear of the unit. (I plugged in that wire while connector 2 was unplugged and then plugged it back it. I wouldn't try sticking that wire in connector 2 while it's connected to the unit itself).

Ground that wire 24/7 and also ground the parking brake 24/7.

So go out there and try this... let me know how it works....

I'm putting the information on my web site:
[url=http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html]http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html[/url]
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="cntrylvr79"]Wow you mean it might have actually become easier to bypass... Downside is people won't need your circuit anymore. Which I guess that does kind of suck.[/quote]

Yah, that is true. I was hoping that I could still stay in business, but what's even worse, I don't think anyone ever needed my circuit. I think that everyone could have just done this from the beginning, I'm going to test my old unit as well. I think sales just went to 0 and will stay there from now on :) Oh well, it's better to be honest than rich.

I'm going to take a bunch of pictures to make sure everyone can see how it's done.
[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="cntrylvr79"]Wow you mean it might have actually become easier to bypass... Downside is people won't need your circuit anymore. Which I guess that does kind of suck.[/quote]

Yah, that is true. I was hoping that I could still stay in business, but what's even worse, I don't think anyone ever needed my circuit. I think that everyone could have just done this from the beginning, I'm going to test my old unit as well. I think sales just went to 0 and will stay there from now on :) Oh well, it's better to be honest than rich.

I'm going to take a bunch of pictures to make sure everyone can see how it's done.[/quote]

Wow!! You really are a stand up guy!!! Thanks for keeping the fun in fun!
Thanks.

Ok, ground the parking brake and this pin on "connector 2".

Again, I have tested this for all of 5 minutes, but with all the "rumors" around I think this is it. The other 3 pins had no voltage on it and this one at 5V. It also had a very weak pullup to 5V. Pulling it to ground drew almost no current < 1mA. Groud these both 24/7. Seemed like an input to me. And it works, the parking brake warning message does not come up.

Please try this and let me know how it works.
do the ebrake & this new wire have to be grounded AFTER the harness has been connected to both the reciever and the car? or can is just be grounded & plugged in all at the same time?

i know with some of the other avics the ebrake cable has to be grounded but only AFTER the unit has been plugged in to power. if it isnt grounded after the reciever gets power, an error message comes up.
Hey Ducatiboy!

Just reading the posts and came across this one. You ARE one hell of a guy...And I for one thank you for all of your efforts and your honesty. I did purchase one of your Flasher units for my Z1 and it worked after a few tries with my installer (you probably remember me emailing you about it). You are truly a gentleman and a scholar. I applaud you sir! Not many people would do and say what you have done and said. Thank you again for your honesty. It goes to show that there are still good people out there. Thank you again!
Thank you very much! I like to think I'm an honest guy. :)

[quote name="wkderf"]do the ebrake & this new wire have to be grounded AFTER the harness has been connected to both the reciever and the car? or can is just be grounded & plugged in all at the same time?

i know with some of the other avics the ebrake cable has to be grounded but only AFTER the unit has been plugged in to power. if it isnt grounded after the reciever gets power, an error message comes up.[/quote]

No you can take the wiring harnesses ground those wires, hook everything up to the car, and just plug them into the back of the Z1, I just tried that and it worked.

I have yet to try it on the older units, but I'm betting it will work too.

Oh and to pull that wire out, don't push on the metal tang. Use a jeweler's screw driver and lift up on the white connector just next to it, and it will pull right out.
You do in fact realize this is all a game with pioneer though. You can count that they are lurking here reading all this and will soon dream up another fix. Sadly, I don't think we will ever checkmate them. hoorey for this victory though. I do appriciate your honesty and would buy from you any day.
[quote name="Damageinc333"]You do in fact realize this is all a game with pioneer though. You can count that they are lurking here reading all this and will soon dream up another fix. Sadly, I don't think we will ever checkmate them. hoorey for this victory though. I do appriciate your honesty and would buy from you any day.[/quote]
Pioneer will have no issue with anyone doing a bypass in this manner. As long as someone has to do something deliberate to the wiring they are in the clear.

Flashing the headlights was something that anyone could do without leaving a trace and since it was widely publicised, and every dealer informed every new owner of this, Pioneer left themselves liable.
The problem was not the Ducati auto flasher but the fact that anyone could bypass without doing any modification to the built in safety.

What Ducatiboy has figured out makes this bypass about the same as bypassing a D1 etc. Pioneer can't be responsible for someone making modifications, thus deliberately circumventing the built in safety measures.
[quote name="sportsfan21"]In order for the switch to you, do both wires need to be put on the switch? Or just the e-brake or other pin?

My installed didn't put a switch in for my D2, but I think I'll add one just in case.[/quote]
It'll probably never be an issue until AFTER you've been in an accident and in that case the switch will only draw attention to the fact that this thing has been modified.
Here is something interesting. This bypass DOES NOT work with my March 06 unit... just my July 06 unit. The March 06 unit comes up with a "hey the parking brake is installed incorrectly" message in about 20 feet of motion. The July 06 unit let me drive around for 15 miles. The VSS wire and internal sensors initialized and put me into 3d hybrid. All the while with Blazing Saddles on the dvd player. I can't say that some time in the future this might not work. But it seems like the way to go. What's weird is that it doesn't work on the old units. Guess my circuit is still needed after all.
at least till the stock of pre July units runs dry right?

Good work on this, while I have a pre july unit and your bypass, I see your a stand up guy for many things you have said. You didn't have to find the fix on the post july units and it's plain honerable that you did. Not to mention it's free...

Great find Ducati. I know many people will be thanking you for it, maybe not the folks that have been trading units in and out to get a pre july. At least that frustration can stop now..