AVIC411.com

New map up on torrent????

The updated maps cost them money to buy, they aren't going to give that away for free. They wouldn't be in business much longer if they didn't make money on what they paid for.....unless when they did go broke the government bailed them out with billions of dollars.

Basic economics my friend.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest astrobill

Dude...Tom Tom and Magellan map updates cost way less...take a look on their websites. Something like $70 for most...some companies' map updates are more, others are FREE.

Pioneer is gouging you...where'd you get the idea "most" updates/upgrades cost $200???

Dude...Tom Tom and Magellan map updates cost way less...take a look on their websites. Something like $70 for most...some companies' map updates are more, others are FREE.

Pioneer is gouging you...where'd you get the idea "most" updates/upgrades cost $200???

Magellan charges $80 to $200 for its update, Where do YOU come up with free :roll:

http://www.magellangps.com/products/map ... RODID=2156

http://www.magellangps.com/products/map ... RODID=1307

BMW, Chevy, Caddilac, Ford, Jag, Hummer or any other with NAVTEQ or Tele Atlas which makes about 80% of the mapping systems.

What do you think it costs to have a national or world map made?

Guest astrobill

Hmm...

TxJole appears to be just plain wrong...here's why he (or she?) is in fact a babbling putz:

For one thing, one of the very links he himself (herself?) provided is for a CHEAP (ONLY $80!) Magellan update FOR ALL 50 STATES!! He provided evidence to totally contradict himself (herself) when he claims it's for just "a few states" ...and nowhere NEAR the high end of the cost range he claims.

To cite just another of many examples I found, here's a link to a TomTom map update of ALL OF NORTH AMERICA for just $100 (again, nowhere near the high end TxJole made up in his head):

http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/sel ... e=4&P=4497

So far, I can't find a single map update that costs $200 for any common system.

And yes, TxJole, some devices provide a year or more of free map updates, or the first update free. And many systems (except Pioneer's, of course) allow people to store corrections to map data in their own unit to overcome known bad data or road changes...allowing people to avoid common problems along their routes. Alas, since Pioneer's systems don't allow that, anyone who hasn't dumped their AVIC already is stuck waiting for new map data.

So basically, NOTHING about my original post is incorrect...what TxJole's problem is, I cannot say.

Hmm...

TxJole appears to be just plain wrong...here's why he (or she?) is in fact a babbling putz:

For one thing, one of the very links he himself (herself?) provided is for a CHEAP (ONLY $80!) Magellan update FOR ALL 50 STATES!! He provided evidence to totally contradict himself (herself) when he claims it's for just "a few states" ...and nowhere NEAR the high end of the cost range he claims.

To cite just another of many examples I found, here's a link to a TomTom map update of ALL OF NORTH AMERICA for just $100 (again, nowhere near the high end TxJole made up in his head):

And yes, TxJole, some devices provide a year or more of free map updates, or the first update free. And many systems (except Pioneer's, of course) allow people to store corrections to map data in their own unit to overcome known bad data or road changes...allowing people to avoid common problems along their routes. Alas, since Pioneer's systems don't allow that, anyone who hasn't dumped their AVIC already is stuck waiting for new map data.

So basically, NOTHING about my original post is incorrect...what TxJole's problem is, I cannot say.

Hm...all the needed facts that discredit him. Well done :). I don't see why he came to a thread that was clearly going to be ABOUT getting the updates for free, just to act like *well why would anyone want these for free...* and try to justify the price. When you see a thread that says *Torrent* and you see people already loving the one person for uploading it and seeding it like mad, then you know the PEOPLE that are going to be in here, clearly aren't going to pay the $$$ for the map upgrade. FYI, the 07 Maps SUCKED.

My beach house up at Watercolor FL has been there for FOUR YEARS, watercolor has been there for 7! NEITHER are on the damned maps! But waddya know? My old garmin had 'em. Lovely. I'm defiantly not paying for these maps, at most I see this as a correction for Pioneer's previous CRAP maps.

Hmm...

You are right I was looking at buying each region for the Tom Tom. I found many and purchased myself an update for waterways that cost 199 plus shipping. Caddy's cost 199 plus shipping. BMW 199, Jag 199. Take my post as you will, I have both discs in transit, i'm sure someone on here will build a torrent for the east soon. Good Luck

Damn near any auto manufacturer charges $199. Mazda just released one for my car. Wadda know. $199. But auto manufacturers have been raping people for their money since the dawn of time. Just paid $58 for a friggin 12"x4" foam seal that I installed myself. :x They know you don't have a choice. If you own a Mazda, where else are you going to get the updates? No where. If Tom Tom charged $199, I'd throw that piece of crap in the garbage and buy a new Garmin.

Point being, I realize maps are not going to be free. I just feel $150 is far too stiff for something like this.