AVIC411.com

Al-Eds.Com AVIC-F90BT $799.99

Al & eds = authorized dealer = valid 2 year manufacturer's warranty

Globazar (sold through Amazon) = not authorized dealer = no warranty

Is paying 5% less worth throwing away a 2 year manufacturer's warranty?

i dont see al-ed on pioneers authorized dealer list. However i do see amazon.com

i dont see al-ed on pioneers authorized dealer list. However i do see amazon.com

Yes, Al & Eds is an authorized dealer.

Amazon might be on their list, but you are not buying if FROM Amazon, you are buying if from another company, THROUGH Amazon.

I called in the Pioneer customer service for the BT 90 unit before i decide to buy or not to buy from an internet aurthorized dealer because i was also debating whether or not to purchase WITH or WITHOUT the warranty.

I asked specifically "Would the warranty still be valid if i purchase the unit from an internet authorized dealer?"

The answer was that the warrant will only be valid if I purchase the unit from a physical store where you can walk in and purchase the unit yourself, but not an authorized internet store. So although circuit city is one, you wouldnt have received a valid warranty unless u buy from the store. I would think u can still get a good deal online, and just buy online but pick up in store. Of course, ask them before u buy. Hope that helps somebody.

Well that makes no sense to me. Buying something from an authorized dealer online usually gives you the full manufacturer's warranty. At least it does with every other item of electronics I've ever bought. Not sure why Pioneer would be any different.

Buying in an actual store might be more expensive but does have its upsides, most notably if you have to return a malfunctioning unit (which might be particularly relevent for the F-series if this board is anything to go by :) I'd rather simply take it back to my local Best Buy than bother with RMAs, shipping, insurance, and potentially weeks of wait time.

I called in the Pioneer customer service for the BT 90 unit before i decide to buy or not to buy from an internet aurthorized dealer because i was also debating whether or not to purchase WITH or WITHOUT the warranty.

I asked specifically "Would the warranty still be valid if i purchase the unit from an internet authorized dealer?"

The answer was that the warrant will only be valid if I purchase the unit from a physical store where you can walk in and purchase the unit yourself, but not an authorized internet store. So although circuit city is one, you wouldnt have received a valid warranty unless u buy from the store. I would think u can still get a good deal online, and just buy online but pick up in store. Of course, ask them before u buy. Hope that helps somebody.

Sounds like the person you talked to didn't know their head from their...well, you know. What be the point of having a list of authorized online retailers if you weren't going to honor the warranty? That's just nonsense. If you read this page on Pioneer's site it mentions no warranty for unauthorized online dealers, it would say no warranties for any online purchase if that were the case.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/FindStore/Unauthorized+Internet+Dealers

• 2 weeks later...

If you look at the authorized dealers on Pioneers site, sure it lists 6thAve as a authorized online dealer, but look to the right of the company logo, the authorized products state "Plasma: PDP-6100HD, PDP-5060HD, PDP-4360HD, PDP-5070HD, PDP-4270HD, PDP-6070HD Pioneer Home Entertainment Products " no mention of "Car Audio/Video Navigation" like they do on Car Toys. I guess we’ll have to take a risk buying from them to save some cash and see if Pioneer will warranty the products bought off of online dealers. Just hope I am not the first one who will have to fight that battle.

If you really need service from Pioneer. Just use excel to create a decent looking invoice stating the authorized dealer's name, address, phone, etc. and along with its store logo to make it look legit.

Chances are the guy receiving your repair unit will just glance over the invoice and accept the repair. I highly doubt they will check the invoice for authenticity.

I've done this several times with other companies before. Is it unethical? Not really, I paid the item and supported the company already.

The answer was that the warrant will only be valid if I purchase the unit from a physical store where you can walk in and purchase the unit yourself, but not an authorized internet store.

Horsepucky. Call Crutchfield and see what they have to say about that. They'll choke. Pioneer warrants products from Crutchfield.