AVIC411.com

HOW TO: Add Branded POI icons :UPDATED: 04-21-09

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also for the restaurant icons, I get the bread icon. How do I change it to the default fork/knife one?

I don't know if this question got answered or not but if you want the branded icons to show but show the stock generic icons when a branded one isn't available (fork/knife for restaurants etc) then just do the following:

copy poi_mapclose.bmp and poi_mapclose.spr from DATA.ZIP\ui_pioneer\common to the branding.zip file in the directory ui_pioneer\common (overwriting the files that are already there).

This IMO gives the best of both worlds, branded icons together with the standard AVIC generic ones as I was not a big fan of the generic icons that came with the branding.zip file.

Thanks to a tip from forum member JonA2B3, I have finally been able to update this file to include many nationally known Restaurants including fast food for the US. This file is only tested to work with Igo 8.3 POI files. It may work with the stock Avic POI files but I can not verify it. Links to updated maps and POI files are on this forum so please do a search in the hacks and mods section of the F series forum. Also, some of the icon images are of questionable quality but still should look pretty good from the screen. Once you have installed the updated Branding file you will need to access the MANAGE POI screen on the unit and assign some of the icons to the perspective categories. I will be updating this file more and more as time goes on. I will also entertain request to add new icons if some of you would like. Just post here with your request. Enjoy.

Nice nice, just tried the branded icons on my F900. Even different McDonalds/Burgerking icons worked :D However, I get quite a fair amount of white icons with a red suqare where some (different) categories should be, some of the gas stations have this icon and some restaurants. Some restaurants and gas stations have the new "general" icon and some are branded (like Burgerking, car resellers and shell gas stations). Wierd huh?

Edit: just read the entire thread... seems like a known problem :wink:

Hope someone can find good solution 'cause the new icons are really terrific!

If some icons are the wrong ones you can go into MANAGE POI and assign the one of your choice. However, yes, the red diamond is a pain in the ass. It seems to appear if two or more icons are too close together and has only seemed to become a problem with the 2.0 firmware version. It never appeared with the older version. As soon as I can figure out where in the code it is being activated I will kill it. Unfortunately I do not know where to look.

However, yes, the red diamond is a pain in the ass. It seems to appear if two or more icons are too close together and has only seemed to become a problem with the 2.0 firmware version. It never appeared with the older version. As soon as I can figure out where in the code it is being activated I will kill it. Unfortunately I do not know where to look.

The Multiple Poi icon can be found in the poi_mapclose.bmp in the Branding.zip file. The red diamond is number 74 on the list. So I checked the Data.zip and found where the Multiple Poi is being called out.

You can find this under Data.zip\ui_pioneer\icons\poi\multipoi.icon.

Clicking on that gives you this statement:

ÿþ$ p o i _ m a p d i s t a n t . b m p

$ p o i _ m a p c l o s e . s p r 7 4

p o i _ m a p c l o s e . s p r 7 4

I have deleted that file and will test it tomorrow morning when I go to work, but I am thinking with that file deleted everything should go back to normal.

Its funny you discovered that as well. I just discovered the same thing as well about 2 hours ago and have FINALLY fixed the problem. However deleting the file caused errors with my unit.

I just got into work and was about to write that my unit rebooted everytime a mulptiple POI icon was needed.

So pretty much its red diamond or no icons (with your solution) at the point where multiple POI's are present.

So I don't have the Fast Food stuff yet since I'm running the 8.0 still... but I would just like to say thanks for everything done so far. I was able to get most of the branded POIs to show up without much trouble at all.

Much appreciated!

I'll be sticking around to see if someone figures out a way to get Fast Food on 8.0 version.

So never mind my "everything is working great" post up there... heh. Figures, I spoke too soon.

Here's what's going on: I applied the Branded icons OK and even copied the original poi_mapclose files to it and got the default icons to work where there were not branded ones.

Then I updated my maps to the 2008.04 (just a few states nearby) and applied the safety_cam update. Everything is fine with both of those and they're working OK.

But for some reason now, the default non-branded icons will NOT show up when I have the Branding file in place. I get the stupid loaf of bread again and all of those icons. I tried just copying the branding file over again but there was no change. I also redownloaded the Branding file, and copied the two poi_mapclose files into the freshly downloaded one and copied THAT one to my system. Still fail.

Just now I deleted the branding file completely and all of the default icons showed up just fine (but of course, no more branded ones). So I figured now that they were working again, I'd copy the "modified" Branding file one more time since I knew the defaults were working again. Nope... stupid loaf of bread again.

And if I try to manually select the default icons, they are not available in the listing at all.

Anyone have any thoughts? The only thing I could think might have had an effect is copying the new .poi files included with the 2008.04 maps... but I assume those are just locations and info about those new POIs and not the actual icons. Plus the Branding file is obviously working - but just not seeming to allow the defaults to load.

but you can use the 2008.10 poi with 2008.4 maps and 8.0, but 2008.10 maps will only work with 8.3

Thanks to a tip from forum member JonA2B3, I have finally been able to update this file to include many nationally known Restaurants including fast food for the US. This file is only tested to work with Igo 8.3 POI files. It may work with the stock Avic POI files but I can not verify it.

ok so i need to get 2008.10 poi which is 8.3 but it will work on my updated 8.0 2008.4 map. Makes since to me now thanks.

Yes to clarify guys. In order to get the fast food category you have to have 10.2008 POI files. Below is the link I used to get them. Click the knife and fork icon next the states map you want to download the POI's. If you want all of them you will need to click all of them in succession.

http://igo8.gpssoftware.us/2008.10.htm

ok it's been a long day . . .

stock AVIC900 is iGo 8.0 - correct?

10.2008 maps works with stock nav software - correct? (I have replaced mine on my stock 900BT with those from the 10.2008 map thread and they seem to work just fine - can you confirm DJdisturbed?)

these POIs will work with stock nav software and updated maps? (Yes I guess that's a given)

I am running a 900BT with cmh's MSN data.zip / mods with updated 10.2008 maps and customized image.res.